Our 2003 C310!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Friendly fishing boat cruised up to us this Sunday and snap my first pic of us under sail and I gave him my email. We maintained social distance and he said we looked cool!

IMG_1881.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I know! My Maine sailing/motorcycle friend already gave me grief! It is lazy but we go out and come back and it is nice to have everything the same!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I know! My Maine sailing/motorcycle friend already gave me grief! It is lazy but we go out and come back and it is nice to have everything the same!
I put a row alongside the dock. That way nobody has to remember anything. I thought I had a picture, but can't find it. I'll try to remember to take one next time I'm at the boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
New lines for Mainsheet (black) main halyard (green tracer) and new sheets (blue tracer) for my code 0 that is due this month.

20200331_161718.jpg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The Admiral on my boat would give you grief, too, for being "tacky". For powerboats, it's OK, even expected. For sailboats, not so much.;)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
For powerboats, it's OK, even expected.
Of course it's expected.

But howzabout my neighbour who has the full complement of fenders flying fore and aft AND his power cord heaped up on the front deck of his 30' stinkpot and he's off :clap:. Don't know how, but he always seems to come back with the cord still heaped in a mess on the front deck :rolleyes:.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Ordered after Black Friday and showed up today. Low wind days will be much better now. Code Zero in an awesome color and special logo for my wife!
Shocking electric pink will look fabulous

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
It had to be this color! They gave me this custom color for the standard color price which is awesome!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Are you going to fly is naked, in a sock or on a furler? Enquiring minds want to know !

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Are you going to fly is naked, in a sock or on a furler? Enquiring minds want to know !
No Precision sold me a spinnaker turtle bag as an alternative.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
No Precision sold me a spinnaker turtle bag as an alternative.
We made a turtle bag that we launch our sock out of. For us, it makes it easier to set and douse single or double handed which is what we usually do. I usually sail the spinnaker without the main when I am not racing because it has a much wider usable wind angle without the main blanketing it. It is also nice to be able to see that beautiful Star that my wife made for me instead of it always being hidden behind the main.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Had a ball today and flew our new code zero! My wife loved it and we had a great time playing with it. Have a lot to learn still but was still fun.
Looks like fun. I'd like to try that.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Looks prettky cool. You should build a set of "twings"... won't cost too much.. works like a lead block, except it's for a free flying sheet. That'll keep the clew from lifting up and spilling air. Also, if you're gonna go on that deep angle , with no mainsail, you can ease the tack line to get a fuller shape. Another comment is to head up a bit... to a broad reach... where apparent will show about 90 deg... true will be around 135. That way you can use your mainsail without blanketing the headsail... as you reduce your wind angle you'll want to tension the tack line. Check the specs on your sail... it should tell you optimum AWA... also max and min. Watch your speedo to help with that, too. Have fun, but don't forget to practice the social distancing guidelines.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @Joe for the tips! The pics are from minutes after we flew it. I need a lot of practice and work for sure.

Oh and no main as I managed to drop the replacement halyard inside the mast on Friday. So yard will be running it from the top down from this week.

Last edited:

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
We made a turtle bag that we launch our sock out of. For us, it makes it easier to set and douse single or double handed which is what we usually do. I usually sail the spinnaker without the main when I am not racing because it has a much wider usable wind angle without the main blanketing it. It is also nice to be able to see that beautiful Star that my wife made for me instead of it always being hidden behind the main.
First time you get caught off guard by the wind, you may wish you had a sock. We used our drifter without for a season and I got my butt kicked a few times. We bought a Chutescoop from V.F. Shaw, while the more expensive alternative is ATN. The Chutescoop (model 1337, 37') is lighter construction vs. the ATN, which we have on the Asymmetrical. Managing the sail with a chute is night and day easier. We essentially use the forward hatch as our "turtle bag" and I can stuff the chute down into the bag held in the hatch.

I should also mention that while I had a defect/problem with the Shaw Chutescoop, the support and service were exceptional.

Ed