Our 2003 C310!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Use a screwdriver blade, pliars or whatever works to knock the screen loose.

It's not hard to replace the vent thru-hull with an open bulkhead thru-hull. You need to remove a thru-hull from the INSIDE of the hull. There's a nut on the threaded barb..remove the vent line from the the thru-hull, then back that nut off the barb...you may have to scrape some bedding compound out from under it. Push the vent thru-hull out (there may be bedding compound under it on the outside of the hull too)...stick the new one in...apply new bedding compound on both the inside and the outside...tighten the nut, put the hose back on the new barb...you're done.
--Peggie
Peggie, the factory tank vent is about 1/2" ID max. and mounted on the transom (mine looks just like the fuel vent!). You could remove it, enlarge the hole, and put a open bulkhead thru hull, but it would face up, and take on water in the rain. I just removed mine, patched the hole, and put a new fitting just above the bilge pump thru hull on the side. Easy peasy. Someone here has some good pictures of the process-I keep forgetting to take them while I'm doing the work!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggie, the factory tank vent is about 1/2" ID max. and mounted on the transom (mine looks just like the fuel vent!). You could remove it, enlarge the hole, and put a open bulkhead thru hull, but it would face up, and take on water in the rain. I just removed mine, patched the hole, and put a new fitting just above the bilge pump thru hull on the side. Easy peasy. Someone here has some good pictures of the process-I keep forgetting to take them while I'm doing the work!
Routing a waste tank vent to the transom is just one more example proving that boat builders--even the best ones--are the WORST sanitation system designers (assuming there actually was any design to it) on the planet...I've even seen vents off tanks installed in the bow run all the way to the transom! Moving the vent thru-hull to the side of the boat was definitely the smart thing to do. I just hope that resulted in a shorter straighter vent line too.
As for photos..installing the new thru-hull was no different from relocating a vent line from a rail stanchion to a thru-hull in the hull, and enough people have photo documented that job to provide a pretty good idea of how to do it.
--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
With a 1/2 inch hose, remember that fittings will lessen thet, maybe by half. Using "Pi r squared", doubling the I.D. makes 4 time the cross section .

Nov 16, 2012
Routing a waste tank vent to the transom is just one more example proving that boat builders--even the best ones--are the WORST sanitation system designers (assuming there actually was any design to it) on the planet...I've even seen vents off tanks installed in the bow run all the way to the transom! Moving the vent thru-hull to the side of the boat was definitely the smart thing to do. I just hope that resulted in a shorter straighter vent line too.
As for photos..installing the new thru-hull was no different from relocating a vent line from a rail stanchion to a thru-hull in the hull, and enough people have photo documented that job to provide a pretty good idea of how to do it.
--Peggie
At least they didn’t run the vent forward to a stanchion!! Actually, the length stays about the same, but that’s because the tank is all the way aft.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sailed today, its been 3 weeks since I was at the boat and a month since we sailed. The heat and lack of wind in Lake Guntersville is the reason I missed my goal to sail every month, I missed July.

My daughter got up early with me and after a motor issue we left at 10:30 AM. It was a lite wind day so we were in no hurry. The good part was we experimented with different points of sail and trim, this was helpful for our point of reference. Did get a few decent puffs so some how managed to cover the most distance so far. Was a good day with my girl for sure, and I remembered to take pictures this time.

Attachments

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Day Sail with my daughter today, made it down to the Nina and Pinta. Good wind day 10-15 knts so had some fun too!

IMG_20190825_152517_01.jpgIMG_20190825_152508_01.jpgIMG_20190825_152502_01.jpg20190825_113843.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like she is enjoying the sailing experience. That is great. Enjoy the moment while you can.

What is with the square riggers. They for show?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Not sure, one is an exact copy and one is a copy but scaled up.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Looks like she is enjoying the sailing experience. That is great. Enjoy the moment while you can.

What is with the square riggers. They for show?

Searching for the Northwest Passage?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Short 4 hour sail today with my daughter.
Wind sucked, I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have constant changing directions and patterns. Still we had fun and logged another day together.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Always and of course yesterday welcomed the first day of Fall with a nice cool 10+ breeze and tons of work that pays to do for the week:( We replaced the bimini last week, local shop that did my hull buffing and topside detailing did the job. I tried copy covers but they were almost as much as my local guy who turned the job in less then 2 weeks. Should have her new name done this week and a re-naming ceremony next weekend!

I have the replacement latches and only need to fix the cockpit table leg as one last item on the repair list.

Nov 16, 2012
I have the replacement latches and only need to fix the cockpit table leg as one last item on the repair list.
If you think that’s the last item you haven’t looked hard enough!! :)

Glad you’re getting to do a lot of sailing in there.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Well sure I can find more! The soft latches for the aft cockpit seat for accessing the stern need replaced, I don't like the stern ladder setup, still need new vang line, I'd like to get the outhaul line to the cockpit and add a cunningham, still having Dutchman issues and either I make it work and fix the mainsail cover or go with a stackpack. New bottom job next summer and maybe clean service sails this winter.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Not sure what the dutchman issues are you are having (didn't want to go back thru the 18 pages :) ). We have that setup on our 350 and like it a lot. Make sure it's adjusted so the lines are tight when you drop and raise the sail (and the main sheet and vang are relaxed). It is a bit of a pain with a standard mainsail cover to put things away (we'll add zippers for the lines on the next one), but we move the main halyard back to the boom and use it for a topping lift when we put the cover on and slack off on the topping lift so the lines don't pull up on the sail cover. Added benefit is it keeps the main halyard from slapping the mast.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That is really the issue the cover is not designed for it. I'm planning my first canvas repair to add zippers to the cover when I take the sails off for winter cleaning. I'll probably give it another season since I have a lot of big ticket items that are in front of this one before I look at replacing it.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Well sure I can find more! The soft latches for the aft cockpit seat for accessing the stern need replaced, I don't like the stern ladder setup, still need new vang line, I'd like to get the outhaul line to the cockpit and add a cunningham, still havi g Dutchman issues and either I make it work and fix the mainsail cover or go with a stackpack. New bottom job next summer and maybe clean service sails this winter.
We did a stack pack this year. We bought the pack from Lee Sails in Ohio. She did the pack for $400. We spent about another $300 on line, blocks, cam cleats, thimbles, PVC pipe and aluminum track. We have a footed main and like it. I also like being able to take the main off and leave the pack in place, just my experience from a couple of work boats.

We love this upgrade. The hardest part was sending a friend up the mast to attach the blocks.

The only thing we don't love is that the sail does not come all the way down on its own. We are working on some kind of a down haul.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@JK_Boston_Catalina310 are you still on the original main with full battens? I can seethe full drop being an issue, my clutches don't stay open and brake as I'm securing the sail and halyard.

I was even considering Doyle Sail with a new main and their stack pack incorporated into the sail foot.