Our 2003 C310!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stove/Oven may not be needed, depending on the way he chooses to sail.
Stove/oven about $1000-$1500
Or use the space as storage... and a Coleman Campstove to boil water or fry food. $50-$125 and a Barbecue $100-$300

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
They have the stove and table with 2 tops, just not installed.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Stove and table are removed but are available. Stove was removed to add more storage and table for more room. They have both a large and small table top.
I think you will like having the stove and range re-installed. The Admiral has cooked many enjoyable meals on ours, including a Thanksgiving dinner. I like heating up the morning coffee with no hassle. After all, the propane is right there, you might as well use it.
We have both the large and small table tops on board, but usually use a mid size table we found that has fiddles on it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I agree, stove will need to be installed and functional since it is a big ticket item.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I think you will like having the stove and range re-installed. The Admiral has cooked many enjoyable meals on ours, including a Thanksgiving dinner. I like heating up the morning coffee with no hassle. After all, the propane is right there, you might as well use it.
We have both the large and small table tops on board, but usually use a mid size table we found that has fiddles on it.
I don't know. My lithium battery cells will be on island today. I'm considering following Delos and going with all electric appliances. ;)

Kidding. We might start using an electric tea kettle for making coffee but that will probably be it. We went a little different route with our lithium. Instead of using the same foot print we went with the same usable. So we bought 200 ah of cells. It will take up 1/3 of the space and weigh about 60 pounds.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Alcohol stoves scare me (except orego sp?)
Propane cylinders in the cabin bad bad
Go butane - lighter than air and stoves and canisters very available.
John, when we sailed up from SF in 2016, I knew that CNG which is what we have is NOT available here. In order to keep the CNG canisters (2) we had full, we bought a butane stove. $25. I am still using it. And when we have power outages here, I bring it home 'cuz our stoves are electric!

OTOH, we had an Origo we bought for our previous boat, a Catalina 25 that we owned for 13 years before we purchased this boat in 1998. It replaced the curtain burner pressurized alcohol stove. I liked it 'cuz it was a two burner, but we've never starved with the single burner butane stove in past 2 1/2 years.

If I was in your shoes, I'd put the propane stove back in in a heartbeat. It was there for a reason and that photo of "storage space" actually made me gag - quite ugly. The stove is prettier. :)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Agree @Stu Jackson , it also comes with a grill for the stern rail that is what the owners wife said they use. Honestly there is almost nothing I have to change, wife doesn't like the cushion fabric, but that is a good project down the road if this works out.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Honestly there is almost nothing I have to change,
That's the kind of boat to find!
All the upgrades/equipment shown in your photos are good quality and well done. New charger & wiring, Garhauer traveler, rigid boom vang to mention a few I noticed.

Less time working on the boat gives you more sailing time.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That's the kind of boat to find!
All the upgrades/equipment shown in your photos are good quality and well done. New charger & wiring, Garhauer traveler, rigid boom vang to mention a few I noticed.

Less time working on the boat gives you more sailing time.
This is really key for us, as I've learned I might want to fix and work on my boat, but I just don't have the time. So I might pay more then I should but the goal of less work over the next 5 years will be the selling point to the wife.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
but the goal of less work over the next 5 years will be the selling point to the wife.
And to you, my friend. Psst, don't tell her that! :)

Besides, just about everyone I know has figured out how to find a place for paper towels other than ripping out a perfectly good stove! :) My PO found what I think is the best place, out of sight but still handy: under the companionway steps. May not work on all boats. But there are some nice PT holders even in teak, like ours. Pricey, but a once in a lifetime purchase.

What doesn't she like about the cushions?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
And to you, my friend. Psst, don't tell her that! :)

Besides, just about everyone I know has figured out how to find a place for paper towels other than ripping out a perfectly good stove! :) My PO found what I think is the best place, out of sight but still handy: under the companionway steps. May not work on all boats. But there are some nice PT holders even in teak, like ours. Pricey, but a once in a lifetime purchase.

What doesn't she like about the cushions?
She doesn't like the color, pattern and type of fabric. The new Sunbrella covered cushions in the 86 C34 we looked at she really liked. So that is a relatively easy change, and since she wants it I don't have to justify the cost;) Happy wife, happy sailing life:)

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
When you've made the deal, make sure you get the base for the table that screws into the floor when you get the table tops. It looks just like the unit under each of the table tops. I noticed yours doesn't appear to be on the floor in the photos you shared. The replacements are available but pricey and crafting one on your own might be difficult.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
He has everything for the table and is bringing it Thursday for my wife to see it complete with the table size and aft berth cushions installed. She is a visual person so really needs to see it complete, the stove will also be required in the contract to be installed prior to our acceptance too. Honestly the owner and his wife are super nice and great people to talk with I think this will work out as long as we really want to make this jump, which is a bit more then we originally planned for right now.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
Much like the C310 you're pursuing, our PO had just about everything worked out by the time he sold us the boat. "Towels" were about our only issue. Our paper towel solution was built from some scrap teak and a couple of dowels. Since we don't use the chart table for lake sailing it's location works great for us as it's out of the way but close enough, (and it works single handed).
IMG_2844.jpeg

While I was at it I fashioned some towel hooks from scrap teak that we like because they are almost invisible when there's no towel hanging from them.
IMG_2766.jpeg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
This is really key for use, as I've learned I might want to fix and work on my boat, but I just don't have the time. So I might pay more then I should but the goal of less work over the next 5 years will be the selling point to the wife.
When we were looking to buy a C310, I was okay with finding a fixer upper, but my wife insisted we get something in good shape and go sailing. We stumbled onto a C310 that was two years old, and priced accordingly, but was actually a brand new boat. The engine had 19 hours on it, and the fridge and cabinets still had packing in them from the factory. We spent a few months getting used to the boat, then headed out for our first real cruise, from Florida to Massachusetts.
I think we made the right decision, and I hope you get as much enjoyment from your C310 if you buy it as we do from ours.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
John, You are about to make the same BIG deceision we all have made and it is scary, but you are going about it in the right way! There are LOTS of smart people here and they are giving you good advice!
We did the same thing prior to us buying our 310. The boat you are looking at is a freshwater boat, which makes it worth more, the oberdorfer, battery charger, Air Conditioner and new batterys are all great pluses. When you buy a boat you can buy one to work on or one to sail-deciding where you want to spend most of your time is your choice. we went from a Catalina 25 to our 310 and we have not regretted it. We have done upgrades and continue to do so but you have good bones in the 310. This is a boat that all of our boating friends love and she sails well. When we bought our boat the broker said make the owner an offer...you can't insult him-We took that challenge and made a low ball offer and it was accepted. You can always do that.
We had an opportunity to be invited aboard Catalina 310 Hull#1 and that was great to see where the boat started,again Great bones! Boat does look VERY clean!
When you buy the boat please consider joining the 310 association and also along with it comes the discount to BOATUS and Mainsheet Magazine!
Please keep us in the loop, Fairwinds

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Update, had to change the meeting to next week, our lives are just too busy.

Thanks, big day next Wednesday now at 9 AM with owner and wife this time with table and aft berth in place for my wife to see a complete boat, minus the stove for now which is easy enough to picture.

Last edited: