Our 2003 C310!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse, not to second guess you or your riggers, but 18 years is getting up there for rigging, especially given the use yours has seen and will be seeing. A lot of the time you can’t see any evidence of a problem until it fails. At least that’s what my rigger here tells me.
One of the current problems is the state of the stainless for replacement rigging. The stuff on the market is just not that good. I was talking to Capn Fatty about this last year (maybe the year before, it was definitely post storms). He had replaced his rigging and it was failing after less than 2 years. So a lot of riggers are recommending people hold onto it longer if the inspections don't show any issues. We have been dye testing our chain plates, toggles, etc. No signs of an issue yet. As far as rig failures I have seen several and most had indications. They didn't fail under the swag fitting but failed in the wire or the connections where cracks were noticably. And hanging out with sea gypsies you meet a lot of people with thousands of miles on 20+ year old rigging. Especially catamarans from South Africa. Their rigging is the best.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
One of the current problems is the state of the stainless for replacement rigging. The stuff on the market is just not that good. I was talking to Capn Fatty about this last year (maybe the year before, it was definitely post storms). He had replaced his rigging and it was failing after less than 2 years. So a lot of riggers are recommending people hold onto it longer if the inspections don't show any issues. We have been dye testing our chain plates, toggles, etc. No signs of an issue yet. As far as rig failures I have seen several and most had indications. They didn't fail under the swag fitting but failed in the wire or the connections where cracks were noticably. And hanging out with sea gypsies you meet a lot of people with thousands of miles on 20+ year old rigging. Especially catamarans from South Africa. Their rigging is the best.
Thanks for the post, Jesse. This is an issue I have been thinking about addressing.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good feedback, I assume the issue of quality is still a problem even if you went with Catalina Direct

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
state of the stainless for replacement rigging. The stuff on the market is just not that good.
Please explain this statement. Are you saying that 316 stainless wire for shrouds is not being made to 316 stainless spec? Or are folks not specifying their wire grade and are choosing lower grade wire.

I’m confused by your statement.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

Hmm. Even it that anecdotal comment does point to newer wire being of lower quality, it does not make your 18 year old wire any better.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So how come Catalina Direct doesn't have a quick link to C310?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
So how come Catalina Direct doesn't have a quick link to C310?
I think the 310 was one of the smallest runs CY ever did, so maybe CD doesn’t figure it’s worth the trouble? They often mention if a part was used on the 310, and if you just search for 310 a lot shows up.

While CD can be a good source for parts and information, sometimes their prices are pretty high. I think they’re a Catalina dealer who also sells a lot of parts online. We’re close to them, so shipping is quick for us.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Please explain this statement. Are you saying that 316 stainless wire for shrouds is not being made to 316 stainless spec? Or are folks not specifying their wire grade and are choosing lower grade wire.

I’m confused by your statement.
Not all stainless steel is created equal. Get a 316 bolt from a quality supplier like Fiahery Supplies and get a bolt from Home Depot, dunk them in salt water and then let them sit out for a week. The difference will be obvious despite both being tagged 316 SS.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
No, that's what diligent inspections tell you.
I get that. But any rigger (or metallurgist for that matter) will tell you that not all potential SS rigging failures due to age, stress and fatigue can be detected by a 'diligent inspection'. You're allowed to believe differently of course.

I have friends insured by Pantaenius that must swap out their rigging after a set number of years (10 IIRC) regardless of its inspection record to maintain coverage.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Well finally made it out and saw the C310 and it had zero issues and was in very well loved and cared for. The owner said they believe the first owner was the president of Catalina Owners group and the records and log of everything done was impressive. The current owner admits they are not a serious sailors but do love boating and own a fishing boat. The only issue I noticed was the running rigging is old and some needs replacement. Sails are original and look fine on the dock, probably ok but will be on my list if it checks out and we move forward .

Engine was neat and clean, bilge had some water, boat has factory AC and heat, several nice upgrades include all LED lighting in cabin, Bose speeakers inside and all working Raymarine instruments and autopilot. Stove and table are removed but are available. Stove was removed to add more storage and table for more room. They have both a large and small table top.

Outside condition was good, but has some bumps and bruises and needs a solid polish. No leaks inside and with all the rain we had in Feb there would have been some stains and signs. I'm excited on the boat but really need to get the price down at least 5k.

20190302_154346.jpg 20190302_150041.jpg 20190302_145744.jpg 20190302_150627.jpg 20190302_150523.jpg 20190302_150239.jpg 20190302_150925.jpg 20190302_150939.jpg 20190302_151254.jpg 20190302_151717.jpg

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Just in time for spring! Looks/sounds real good. Hope you can make the deal!
Looks like it has everything you would need. How did your wife like it?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
She likes it and the marina is a nice upgrade, but comes with an added cost. But my slip is cheap because it is shallow and with my center board up I fit. If I had to goto a deeper slip of 4'-5', it wouldn't be that much higher.

Oh and I of course forgot to get a pic of the battery bank he had. It was extremly neat and well planned out from my observations with all the batteries being replace last year with the new charger and new wiring. I was a bit shocked by the detailed records tell the entire boat story.

Looking around I know that 310s are a bit rare, as it seems to be one of the lowest produced Catalina models. As it happened there was a 2001 and his owner on the same dock before this one we talked a bit. He told me he paid $42k and paided $4,500 to ship from NY. I've seen these in the low $42k - $59k, this one is $59k. I'd like to get it for $50k and take the extra towards sails and running rigging and a new bottom job.

Last edited: