Our 2003 C310!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Excellent news! Be sure and post pictures and news as you continue. This is a great boat and a great group of folks!!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Owner just texted me he has a certified installer doing the stove installation work with a receipt to back it up. I called Boat US and they gave me a good quote on insurance. I had braced myself for 4 figures policy, but came in at $514 annual. Slip fees are $45 / month more, so not too bad either given the step up in facility. Should have a closing date within a week or so as long as the work get's wrapped up this week.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We pay $438 with Progressive Insurance with diminishing deductible for every year with no claim. Just an FYI.
cant wait to see her at your dock!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
My Progressive quote was over $900, which was with my USAA account. This was what I was planning for. The boat will actually stay at her current slip.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My progressive policy is $740. Your boat is 10 yrs newer so $900 is about. I didn't check with BoatUS at the time because I kept my 25 on the policy until it said.
I guess it's time to get a BoatUS quote.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
That is what I was thinking next winter sale. How long have you had them and used them since they did the cleaning/reconditioning? I'd like a second set of reef points and a loose foot also.
My sails are the original 2003 set. The mainsail was reconditioned a few years ago, and is still in excellent condition, thanks to Sailcare. The genoa has had the sun cover restitched by a local loft and is still in good condition.
Since 2010, our cruising has been confined to New England waters and the relatively short season there. From 2006 to 2010, we cruised about 6,000 miles up and down the East Coast. Prior to 2005, the boat had only been sailed once or twice by the PO.
Hopefully, your sails will serve you well for quite some time.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
When we bought our C30 some years ago, it was helpful to go to a sale website such as sailboatlistings.com and do a specific search for your desired boat then order viewing by price. For our purchase, the sale listings were almost a straight line dependent on year. You can easily see the outliers and evaluate based on condition and equipment. This should give you a typical range.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
We got a look at the selling prices last fall, when we bought our 350. As an average, the selling prices were about 90-95 % of listing price at the time. We did closer to 80% when it was all said and done, so we felt pretty good about our purchase. Have yet to actually sail that boat, though :)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yup already did that and we came to a good price for both of us, more then I wanted to pay and less then he want. The prices are low 40s to high 60s. I managed to get a couple of recent sale prices and they were mid 40s for 2000-2002 models. For me that is just part of the price as all the ones close to me would be weekend trips with hotels and then a second trip for survey and then a expense to ship to our lake. So factoring in those cost to the purchase price of 'cheaper 310' I had a price that made since as this 310 is in the marina we want it in, it is well documented and care for and finally had no issues during my initial inspection and that was confirmed with this weekends sea trial. I don't think I can swing a closing this week, but looks promising for next week right now.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Actually anyone have the price list info from Catalina for the 310? Ideally 2003 but I'd be curious of what these boats listed at new.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Great news! Nothing like getting a new boat, especially with the convenience of it being located in your marina.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
John I believe once I reach a fairly negotiated price that I was satisfied with then looking further into pricing will only serve to disturb my good feeling about the purchase. If you are still curious you can try to us the NADA guide. https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats
It will give you an idea. Or you could access the BoatUS website and they will give you a price number for a boat.

Personally if your happy, smile and start looking at what projects you will do to "make it your own". Also start to plan a Naming party, or a "This is now Our Boat" party to celebrate the moment and to appease the gods of wind and surf that you are now going to bring your boat into their world.

Vestal Virgins are really not needed. But might be fun if you can find one.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Agree, we are pretty excited and are working on the name.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Actually anyone have the price list info from Catalina for the 310? Ideally 2003 but I'd be curious of what these boats listed at new.
I'd guess the 2003 C310 might have gone for around $100,000 new. I started looking at C310's at the boat shows in 2004. A new one then was in the $105,000 to $110,000 range. At the 2005 St. Pete boat show, the new C310 was $115,000 as equipped. After I told the salesman that a new boat was over my budget, he showed me a listing for a two year old C310 for $85,000. We made an appointment to see it, and it turned out to have 19 hours on the engine, and had only been sailed once or twice. We bought it. The salesman said he would have bought it himself if he had seen it before we did.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That is impressive in the value they seem to be holding. Obviously a boat is a terrible negative thing from a financial side, but it is something for that thing that is more important then money.

My wife is excited and asked about our great dream to leave it all behind for sailing in the islands and if this boat would be ok. I told her about @JK_Boston_Catalina310 and that got her pretty excited. She even said well maybe this will make that 5 year plan a reality depending on how our kids do going into adulthood. Hey got to have dream and try to plan toward it at least.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Our sails are factory. The original owner had a second reef put in the main, we use it often. The main is still holding a great shape but we are religious about covering it when no in use.

The 135 Genny has had the UV restitched 5 or 6 times. Last year we restitched some more near the head and along the leach. Our shape is starting to get bad but it's still usable. Our big problem is our typical conditions are over 20 knots of wind and decent seas. So we always have the headsail reefed. So we ordered a new sail from Precision Sails. We went with a 115 with a Yankee cut. That should be here in April.

We are in the process of ditching the Dutchman and going to a mainsail pack.

We just quit our jobs. So I should have time to start writing up some of the improvements we have done soon. There are a lot and a lot of technical stuff with things like lithium batteries and solar.

Congrats on finding a good boat.

Jesse