Origo 6000 stove advice

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
At practically any hardware store you can get rubber drain covers for a sink. The PO of our Mark 25 had them on the boat with the stove. If I remember I think he put them under the slider.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
The 6000 has "doors" or "lids" that close off the burners when not in use. Does that stop evaporation or do I still need to put some additional "cap" on them?
Yes, you need the additional "caps." Cut a couple of disks from neoprene and put them over the top of the canisters when not using the stove for a prolonged period. This is what I used: McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The 6000 has "doors" or "lids" that close off the burners when not in use. Does that stop evaporation or do I still need to put some additional "cap" on them?
All of the burner assemblies on the Origo stoves have the metal sliding 'lids" for each burner. Regulating the flame (and heat) is done by exposing more less of the opening in the burner pot. The soft vinyl/rubber caps are put on after the burner is cold and really help to seal in the remaining alcohol.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I use the same system with oven. I buy the marine alcohol usually. I used to use cheap methyl hydrate but the cooking did take about a third longer and a chemist friend told me that the methyl can put off very dangerous fumes. Haven't been frugal on that one since. Not sure what the chemistry is on this, but perhaps someone with a chemistry background can confirm or refute.

Nov 10, 2018
S2 9.2a Marblehead, Massachusetts
As I said earlier in this thread, I have a brand new in the box Origo 3000 and all the fixings. However, I am now keen to find the oven, or a full Origo 6000. Anybody got any current leads?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Alcohol is a very safe fuel - after all, we have bottles of vodka and rum on the boat, right?

151 rum burns well if you don't mind burning it :yikes:

I use a red solo cup for the fill - same as the soupcan idea. Punch a few holes in the bottom and sit it on top of the "land mine." Fill with alcohol. Something about using a red solo cup for alcohol just seems right.
For the refill, a hole in the bottom of a can can be difficult to set somewhere without spillage. During years of use, I found a container that had dish soap or such with the push/pull stopper top is great. Held upside down to refill, when you see the canister almost full, push the bottle's pop-top down to shut it off. No muss-no fuss.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My insurer adds a risk rate for alcohol and propane stoves. CNG is their preferred fuel. When we had a boat with alcohol they were on the fence about extending coverage until we signed a non use addendum. According to underwriting, their concern is 2 fold. The nearly invisible flame and the possible spill/spread danger.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
My insurer adds a risk rate for alcohol and propane stoves. CNG is their preferred fuel. When we had a boat with alcohol they were on the fence about extending coverage until we signed a non use addendum. According to underwriting, their concern is 2 fold. The nearly invisible flame and the possible spill/spread danger.
Since the insurer does not know the difference between pressurized and non pressurized alcohol stoves, and does not understand that the Origo (and some few competitors) do not use remote tanks and hoses and no pressure, and does not understand how the Origo burners are filled, you really do need a different insurer.

After all, if they "prefer" propane with it's rare but tragic explosion result, they have their priorities inverted. :(

Even CNG is quite dangerous with improper handling. And then, how many boat owners have their CNG or LPG hoses replaced on any regular schedule? I have read that in the UK, a certified professional is required to this every 5 or 7 years, I forget which.
(To me that would be quite an expense, and reminiscent of the cost of owning a small plane where almost all work has to be done or signed off by a licensed A&P person.)