Origo 6000 stove advice

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Odd that vendors like WM show it, listed as an available product, and then say it's out of stock. ....
SO, did you call West to see if they will restock, or maybe special order from mfg? Sometimes a store will have one, then ship it to your store.

May 2, 2019
Oday 240 Lake Hartwell, South Carolina
All good stuff to hear, our new to us boat has an Origo aboard and my wife was not too sure about it until she read everyone's comments. That will allow me to spend a few bucks on gear more needed.

Aug 29, 2017
Hunter H31 Portland Or
Dometic has discontinued them, you can still find the 3000 in Canada and there a few 6000 around in the US. West marine is still showing them as available. I heard they were discontinued because of slow sales. I don’t know why that is, mine is only 35 yrs old and going strong.

Nov 10, 2018
S2 9.2a Marblehead, Massachusetts
I think Dometic just wants to steer people to higher cost items. Not sure. I snagged a 3000 and put it into storage so I will have one once I can no longer get CNG.

Ajp

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter marine 270 Merrick
Hi, had a ‘94 26 with a 4000 and loved it, just bought a 2001 270 with butane . Too many stories of near disasters . Scored a need 3000 for 300$. alan

Jan 22, 2008
I was at BaconSails.com a couple weeks ago. They had two of the stoves like in post #6, with SS base. IIRC, 175$ each. Not sure about the misc pieces, though. The "pieces" would be the pot holders; two flame spreaders as on the unit in #6; (they used to give those away at the boat shows once they concluded they help the flame dispersion under the pots/pans. Also, when the fuel canister cools, Origo had a softer black rubber disk that fit on the hole of the fuel canister. Bacons had two canisters at $95 each.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Keep in mind that alcohol unless treated burns invisibly. For $30-$40 you can get a single burner Coleman stove. These use the smaller propane tanks.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You can use sink drain covers to cover the lids of the cannisters. Way less than $95.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
My origo is obviously lit with a blue to blue/yellow flame. It has never been invisible. Used it quite a bit this weekend.

A camping stove is fine, as long as the propane is removed to a location above deck where it could never drain into the cabin or bilge. It is quite common for the 1lb camping cylinders to leak at the valve.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
My origo is obviously lit with a blue to blue/yellow flame. It has never been invisible. Used it quite a bit this weekend.

A camping stove is fine, as long as the propane is removed to a location above deck where it could never drain into the cabin or bilge. It is quite common for the 1lb camping cylinders to leak at the valve.
The flame on mine looks the same.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...A camping stove is fine, as long as the propane is removed to a location above deck where it could never drain into the cabin or bilge. It is quite common for the 1lb camping cylinders to leak at the valve.
I've had good luck using brass caps with gaskets to seal those tanks, but the over-pressure relief valve is still a possible source of a leak, even when you use the cap. Even a partial 1lb propane bottle has enough energy to blow a boat to pieces. Propane is very dangerous when not properly contained. The rules about propane lockers exist for a reason.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Not bad at all. We replaced our pressurized alcohol stove with an Origo cooktop - not the oven. It was very good and my wife preferred it to the propane we later had - she was afraid of that. She made Spam Burgers while we were crossing the "Race" between LI Sound and Block Island Sound in significant waves, with nary a worry.
You shouldn't refill the canisters while they are hot. You need to cover the openings with something like a sink drain cover, to keep the alcohol from evaporating. These are well made of excellent quality material and will serve for many years. If you live aboard you may want propane. But for use while cruising these are very good stoves. Replace with caution.
Orego made a gasketed cover that fit right on the canister. You waited for it to cool a little, opened the top, placed it on the canister, and closed the top. But they are hard to find and most have been lost. A 4-5" circle of tire inner tube (butyl rubber) or neoprene will do just fine. But it needs to go right on the canister for best results.

Jan 22, 2008
Or, if you can find one, a camera lens cap. Maybe all sizes are around, so with a seal around the outer rim, some with a felt layer on the flat circle. I was at Walt Disney World once and tried to buy a replcaement for the one I lost on Thunder Mountain. Lady reached under the counter and pulled out a shoebox full of them. It was numbered, but I needed a 55. She put the box back, got another shoebox labeled 55 and it was about half full ! It was a freebie, but I guess they could afford it. It scared me to realized all the metal discs were falling into the machnerry, though.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Just buy neoprene gasket material from McMaster-Carr and cut out your own. Dirt cheap!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Or realize that denatured alcohol is super cheap and just fill the landmines before every trip. (except in CA, where DNA is obviously some horrible thing.. that hand sanitizer and vodka isn't.... Stupid moronic CARB.....)

Even without covering them, a fill {about 250ml of alcohol, half a solo red cup) will last several weeks. I put in 1/2 red cup (that's a precision measurement ya know} fuel into my origo and made 4 serious meals (including b-fast with sausage, eggs, toast, 45 min of cooking, etc), 4 days of boiling coffee, an was nowhere near running out. This stove is a wonder.

So sure, it's better to seal off the landmines between uses. But you don't need to if you don't worry that much about refueling them or if you're not going to be out for weeks at at time.

Dometic only quit making them because they never break. No market if nobody needs to replace a broken one. Compare to head parts :)

Jan 9, 2020
Island Packet 31 South Pasadena, FL
The 6000 has "doors" or "lids" that close off the burners when not in use. Does that stop evaporation or do I still need to put some additional "cap" on them?