Origo 6000 stove advice

Feb 22, 2018
Hunter 30T Long Beach
Greetings everyone,
My recently purchased Hunter 30T has an Origo 6000 alcohol stove. Not ever having a boat with an alcohol stove was just looking for tips/tricks people might have with one of these. Yes I'm sure there will be those who say rip it out and replace it with a propane stove, but being that we just bought the boat it's not in my budget to replace it at this time. But since I saw they are still producing and selling these stoves (and not cheap) I figured they can't be all that bad.....right?

Roger

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If you search forums like this one you will find boaters who are happy with propane, alcohol, and (for larger boats) electricity via gen sets. Your cup of coffee or omelet will not know the difference...
:)
We have an Origo 6000, and have used it for over 20 years on our 34 footer. The oven is great for baking cookies and cinnamon rolls. When we bought this boat it came with this stove, and initially we were not sure whether we would like it. Our previous boat had a propane system for cooking and also a Cozy Cabin bulkhead heater. We liked that fuel, but having done a full-on installation of a propane system I am familiar with the work and regular upkeep/maintenance.
Propane is a good fuel source, but takes an extensive "system" to ensure safety.

Unlike older boats with (IMHO) unsafe pressure alcohol stove systems, the Origo has no pressure. Burners are easy to fill and use. Yes, there is a trick to it. We get through a month of summer living aboard for cruising on about a gallon of alcohol from the hardware store.
(The "trick"= drill a quarter inch hole in the bottom of a clean/empty soup can, put it over the mesh burner pot - outside, in the cockpit, fill the can up and let it slowly fill the burner. It might take two fillings if the burner is empty.) Then put the burner back in and cook.

You might occasionally find a critic citing heat values of various fuels, and preferring propane. We find that the alcohol burners boil water and burn potatoes (generally) just as fast as our prior propane stove. :)
When comparing heat output of any stove, always compare BTU's, rather than focusing on how the heat is created.

Enjoy your galley range!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Not bad at all. We replaced our pressurized alcohol stove with an Origo cooktop - not the oven. It was very good and my wife preferred it to the propane we later had - she was afraid of that. She made Spam Burgers while we were crossing the "Race" between LI Sound and Block Island Sound in significant waves, with nary a worry.
You shouldn't refill the canisters while they are hot. You need to cover the openings with something like a sink drain cover, to keep the alcohol from evaporating. These are well made of excellent quality material and will serve for many years. If you live aboard you may want propane. But for use while cruising these are very good stoves. Replace with caution.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Origo non-pressurized alcohol stoves are an excellent option for cooking on boats. It is a relatively safe, efficient and affordable option. Alcohol does have a few quirks which are best discussed up front, some complain of the smell that may permeate an enclosed space and it also has a tendency to increase humidity levels and condensation. Try to have good ventilation when handling fuel or operating stove. It evaporates rather easily so it is very advisable to keep and use canister lids or seals for when the stove is not in use to avoid loss of fuel. These stoves will handle denatured alcohol which can be purchased rather inexpensively from any hardware store. It is not necessary to purchase the expensive stove alcohol fuel sold at chandleries. If the stove runs out of fuel while in use do not refill until it has had an opportunity to cool down. The alcohol flame can be invisible so be careful around any spills or hot burners. The Origo stoves are simple, well made and will last for a very, very long time.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We have the Origo without the oven. I cooked on it twice this Saturday. Works great, and easy to maintain.

2017-12-05 21.57.08.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Are there any brands or types of alcohol fuel that are less (or more) stinky than others? We got rid of the Origo 3000 in our C22 (and no, we don't miss it) but it looks like that's the stove we'll be using in the Albin Vega.

Smell was a complaint, as was difficulty getting the near-invisible flame adjusted just right.

Feb 22, 2018
Hunter 30T Long Beach
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm glad to hear everyone is happy with this stove. This is the information I was hoping to get and I'm sure it will work perfectly for my needs. I just joined this forum and everyone has been friendly and very informative.......thanks to all!

Apr 8, 2010
Are there any brands or types of alcohol fuel that are less (or more) stinky than others? We got rid of the Origo 3000 in our C22 (and no, we don't miss it) but it looks like that's the stove we'll be using in the Albin Vega.

Smell was a complaint, as was difficulty getting the near-invisible flame adjusted just right.
There is a slight odor when the burner is turned down really low, but perhaps that's incomplete combustion. I know that odor can occur with diesel and propane stoves also. We have bought the expensive blue fuel from West Marine when it was on sale, and all the rest is alcohol from the hardware store. Burner does not light or heat any differently, as far as I can tell. Since the galley is adjacent to the main hatch and it's open (some) when cooking we have not really noticed any objectionable odor.
The heat from using oven on a cold fall morning to make cinnamon rolls is sure welcome throughout the boat... along with the smell of cinnamon... ! :)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This is what I have been using. I have not noticed any particular odor:
Klean-Strip 1 gal. SLX Denatured Alcohol Cleaner
  • Clean burning fuel for indoor/out, marine/alcohol-burning stoves
  • Hard surface cleaner for tile, wood, metal and glass
  • Mix with shellac or varnish to protect wood
denatured alcohol.jpg

Home Depot also sells another one:
Klean-Strip1 qt. Green Denatured Alcohol
  • Clean burning fuel for marine stoves
  • Produces a hot, clean, smokeless and odorless flame
  • Same great performance as regular Denatured Alcohol

Green denatured alcohol.jpg

I have not tried this one, but it claims to be odorless.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
What everybody said. I'd say the Origo stoves are the 2nd safest boat stove there is - with the winner being electric. Mine works just fine. There's no system to maintain, just fill the landmines with alcohol. They don't ever seem to go bad. Alcohol is a very safe fuel - after all, we have bottles of vodka and rum on the boat, right?

I use a red solo cup for the fill - same as the soupcan idea. Punch a few holes in the bottom and sit it on top of the "land mine." Fill with alcohol. Something about using a red solo cup for alcohol just seems right.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
ditto......they are great stoves...easily maintained...I've boiled enough potatoes on ours to make mashed potatoes for
big Thanksgiving meals several times and it is a great little cooker....my wife does Eggs Benedict for about 15 people on our slip each summer.....you'll be quite happy with yours....Patrick in Wichita.....72 here this Friday...no, not wind-speed.
Pat

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I also love the Origo 6000 on my boat. Here are the benefits from my usage pattern:
1) The Origo burners produce the same amount of heat as a propane stove. You get approx. 7,000 BTUs on methyl/ethyl mixture and close to 9,000 BTUs on ethanol. So, there is no significant difference in cooking times.
2) Ethanol burns hotter and has less order. Try Moda flame bioethanol available on Amazon, works out to $20/gallon.
3) Actual price is not that different to propane. Propane is cheaper if you lug your tanks around and refill them. That takes an effort. Otherwise, 1 lb or propane is similar in price to 1 lb of ethanol and they have similar energy content.
4) You can use the Origo stove to heat the boat. If you are doing this regularly, consider a venting system like mine. It is inexpensive, takes little space and does the job.
5) On a small boat (<31 ft), there is usually not enough space for propane. The anchor locker is an obvious choice on the H31 and that is where I keel the 1 lb barbeque containers but a full install would be too much of an effort. The 1 gallon ethanol containers you can store anywhere.
6) I suggest most sailors get a pressure cooker. It cooks really fast (most meals in 10-12 min) and you can vent it outside the cabin once done cooking.

Ethanol Heat.jpg

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
@Cpt. Rog, we recently picked up an Origio 3000 for our H31. We paid $100 from a guy on Offerup and it came with the pot holders, which are adjustable and retain our skillet and pot more securely than I expected. On our boat there is a mini fridge where the stove is supposed to go, so we have the Origio on the counter. So far it has been cooking great. The slight odor doesn't bother me. Before purchasing this we had been using an electric hot plate, but that only works on the dock.

@Pat, the sailing season is getting ready to startup there in Kansas. Believe it or not, I used to have a slip on Lake Cheney at the Ninnescah Yacht Association with a Helsen 22'. I've also camped at that lake many times, one time doing a 4 day campout from a Sunfish, each night at a different place on the lake. I'm from Wichita originally, though I live in St. Petersburg, Florida now.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I also love the Origo 6000 on my boat. Here are the benefits from my usage pattern:
1) The Origo burners produce the same amount of heat as a propane stove. You get approx. 7,000 BTUs on methyl/ethyl mixture and close to 9,000 BTUs on ethanol. So, there is no significant difference in cooking times.
2) Ethanol burns hotter and has less order. Try Moda flame bioethanol available on Amazon, works out to $20/gallon.
3) Actual price is not that different to propane. Propane is cheaper if you lug your tanks around and refill them. That takes an effort. Otherwise, 1 lb or propane is similar in price to 1 lb of ethanol and they have similar energy content.
4) You can use the Origo stove to heat the boat. If you are doing this regularly, consider a venting system like mine. It is inexpensive, takes little space and does the job.
5) On a small boat (<31 ft), there is usually not enough space for propane. The anchor locker is an obvious choice on the H31 and that is where I keel the 1 lb barbeque containers but a full install would be too much of an effort. The 1 gallon ethanol containers you can store anywhere.
6) I suggest most sailors get a pressure cooker. It cooks really fast (most meals in 10-12 min) and you can vent it outside the cabin once done cooking.

Nice post.

Feb 22, 2018
Hunter 30T Long Beach
Thanks for the info everyone. I have yet to use the stove since we just brought the boat up on it's 94 mile maiden voyage.
13 hrs the first day, got into Dana Point at 1:00am. Finally got to our home port of Long Beach around 6 pm the second day.
We left San Diego in questionable seas and rain, but the Hunter 30 was impressive handling 5 to 8 ft swells with white caps with no problems.

Nov 10, 2018
S2 9.2a Marblehead, Massachusetts
So, I have a 1980 original CNG system and lucky for me, the Chandlery in my town still sells CNG (at about 100 bucks a fill.....) but my tank is from 1993 and they won't fill it. So. Buy a new tank for 350 bucks plus a hundred more for a fill, or chuck the whole mess and put in an alcohol stove? I am convinced that alcohol is a good way to go..but it turns out the Origo 3000 is out of stock or no longer sold almost anywhere. Anybody know why?
IMG_2077.jpeg

Apr 8, 2010
Odd that vendors like WM show it, listed as an available product, and then say it's out of stock. I wonder if the manufacturer is phasing it out? There is a knockoff product available on some sites (and how complex could such a simple burner be?) but I have not seen one up close.
Also, back in the 70's there was a Canadian stove that was styled a bit different, but worked the same; long gone from the chandlers....
You may have to search the 'net and grab one quickly.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I have an Origo. I see no reason to replace it.

I get my fuel from my local Home Depot. They carry a few different denatured alcohols. One of them is labeled as fuel, so that is the one that I use, but probably any of them would work.