Old boats

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have been looking at this one for several years. being used as landscape decoration at a local Tiki Bar/Restaurant.
2016-10-31 18.27.20.jpg

2016-10-31 18.26.30.jpg

Yesterday, I had some service work to do for them, and bartered my labor for the Winches that were falling off of her.
2016-10-31 18.27.48.jpg

a pair of bronze Barlow 28 Self Tailing winches.
2016-10-31 18.26.52.jpg

Jul 5, 2004
Catalina 27 Yorktown
I guess all the marina's have their share of boats left to rot. I fell in love with a 39' Ketch that had been put on the hard several years before I saw it in the Marina (on the Chesapeake Bay) where I kept my Catalina 27. It seemed like a perfect boat to move into - big with all kinds of possibilities (as they all do). I got the name of the owner and after a brief look (too brief actually) and offered him $10K for it. He laughed and said it was worth $40K. Not to me. A good friend went aboard and it was similar to other boats left outside with dead batteries - it was 1/2 full of water. The owner decided he'd do a "quick fix" and drilled several 1" dia. holes in the hull to let the water drain. He left it there for several more years and eventually tried to sell it. He was in for an awakening. He had to let it go for $1.00 to a charity organization who stripped the few things that were worth something and sold them off. I bet he wishes he had accepted the $10K I offered! ;-) I can still see that Ketch in my mind but I can't remember the name of the manufacturer anymore. There were only a few built and I wanted it so badly - but it was probably a good thing I was unable to get her. I'm sure it was the classic hole surrounded by water where money needed to be thrown. But the lines were classic Ketch!
It's hard to imagine how much money worth of old boats has been abandoned! Another gentleman at our marina bought an older Herreshoff 41' Bermuda (I think) somewhere and brought it to our marina where he proceeded to throw $100 bills into the water around her. I think it was pretty rare but he sank it 4 times while I knew him! ;-)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Can anyone tell my why someone would be more likely to stop at a restaurant because there is a derelict boat sitting outside rotting away? I certainly wouldn't order the shrimp.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can anyone tell my why someone would be more likely to stop at a restaurant because there is a derelict boat sitting outside rotting away? I certainly wouldn't order the shrimp.
Have you noticed that almost every high budget movie has at least one shot with a sailboat off in the distance. People have romantic attachments to boats even if they are not boat people.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Sadly, the Rockport Flea Market has degenerated into a NON marine market, Five years ago was great. Last year? Kinda sucked. Lots of art work though

Jun 14, 2016
Catalina C38 - S&S Hull Design Old Lyme, CT
Regarding derelict and abandoned boats . . . I am restoring my S&S design Catalina 38 in a boat yard in CT. I watched with a sad heart as an outside contractor was brought in to demolish 30 (that's right, thirty ! boats in the yard this past summer and haul them away in dumpsters. The owners had abandoned them and in most cases for many years and the marina carried this burden (lost rental space, unsightly and potential fuel for a disaster) before it came to this. Many of these boats I was told could not find new owners - an almost spotless 36 Trojan for one!
I believe the overwhelming reason for this is the significant loss of our Middle Class population in this country. It is becoming a good and visible indication of the decline of America! The Middle Class are like the worker bees . . . We once believed in the values of perseverance, quality, hard work and competitiveness but left those ideals by the waste side starting back in the mid 1970's. The rest of the world caught up to us while we fell into lethargy, greed and indifference. The result? Something like 70,000 factories have disappeared. Many lost productive jobs. Many more lost their lifestyle and the leisure benefits we once had. Sad! More boats will go. The market is going down in part for leisure craft because there are so many fewer that can afford it.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
With regards to old boats, I feel part of the issue is an average age of boats on the 2nd hand market. They are old to put simply. They were not meant to last forever. Some new owners "who got fantastic deals" on used sailboats do not have budget to maintain the boats and they slowly but surely fell into state of disrepair. It is not a question of if, but simply when. Just like with classic vehicles - there will be some beautifully restored while the rest replaced with new models. Another issue is demographics of an average north american sailor, we are not getting any younger ladies and gentleman. Some owners no longer have ability to maintain the boats and once retired, for many budget is again an issue hence boats falling into state we see every now and then.

Jan 19, 2010
Well, I salvaged this one :) abandoned in a boat yard in New York for 15 years, hauled to Texas and redone. Now approaching 12,000 miles cruising since restore
NICE!!!!!!

Here is one of mine...... I've restored 6 boat so far and I'm working on a Rhodes 22 right now.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Regarding derelict and abandoned boats . . . I am restoring my S&S design Catalina 38 in a boat yard in CT. I watched with a sad heart as an outside contractor was brought in to demolish 30 (that's right, thirty ! boats in the yard this past summer and haul them away in dumpsters. The owners had abandoned them and in most cases for many years and the marina carried this burden (lost rental space, unsightly and potential fuel for a disaster) before it came to this. Many of these boats I was told could not find new owners - an almost spotless 36 Trojan for one!
I believe the overwhelming reason for this is the significant loss of our Middle Class population in this country. It is becoming a good and visible indication of the decline of America! The Middle Class are like the worker bees . . . We once believed in the values of perseverance, quality, hard work and competitiveness but left those ideals by the waste side starting back in the mid 1970's. The rest of the world caught up to us while we fell into lethargy, greed and indifference. The result? Something like 70,000 factories have disappeared. Many lost productive jobs. Many more lost their lifestyle and the leisure benefits we once had. Sad! More boats will go. The market is going down in part for leisure craft because there are so many fewer that can afford it.
I'm with Bill on a lot of this. If you take a look at the new sailing market, you will find that the major manufacturers all seem to be making predominantly 40-60' boats. Why? As we see significant wealth disparity in our society, only the wealthy have the disposable income to buy new boats, and they have enough income to buy the big ones.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Well, I salvaged this one :) abandoned in a boat yard in New York for 15 years, hauled to Texas and redone. Now approaching 12,000 miles cruising since restore
NICE!!!!!!
Here is one of mine...... I've restored 6 boat so far and I'm working on a Rhodes 22 right now.
Always fun. Here is ours. She was abandoned at the dock for years. Slip owner eventually got title, and gave her away free to good home on Facebook. We jumped at the opportunity.
Hunter 31 Day1.jpg

How she looks after 4 months of work (Still more to do)
10675560_555663227901172_990221348187418006_n.png

And here after 2 years of work
2015-11-27 15.24.11.jpg

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
The youth of today do not have the ability nor the desire to repair or restore much of anything, it is a disposable world it would seem!
Possibly, but where I sail they seem to have a lot of disposable income for some really expensive powerboats. I think that if there were some modern, cool looking sailboats (look at powerboats 25-30ft range with modern styling cues and plenty of gadgets) a lot of youth would have more interest in buying sailing vessel over power. This possible market does not want to fix things, they want to go have fun on the water. Even if they wanted to go sailing, most boats on the market (trailerables) do not posses enough 'blink' factor to attract younger crowds. This is at least how I look at it and I might be wrong.

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Hear, hear Captn Scotty. It's a shame that everyone's first instinct is to throw away and replace something the instant there is any wear or trouble with it at all. That said, it's also tough to justify spending $20 for a replacement part when you can buy a new unit for $25, as I recently found when trying to repair my coffee maker. But I agree, there is value in knowing how to repair things versus throwing it away and buying another.

Have you noticed that almost every high budget movie has at least one shot with a sailboat off in the distance. People have romantic attachments to boats even if they are not boat people.
I've noticed this trend in stock photos for anything retirement-related. Like this one that I saw recently:
1.jpg

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
I've noticed this trend in stock photos for anything retirement-related. Like this one that I saw recently:
So what does the message say? "sailing is for old people only? With old boat?" This is horrible marketing.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Yes, I appreciate how the young like the bling factor and radical new styling of today while I love the salty sheer lines and raked bows of vessels from the 70s. Personally I find the bluff bows , straight lines, and euro interior of new boats a little cold.

Jan 19, 2010
Always fun. Here is ours. She was abandoned at the dock for years. Slip owner eventually got title, and gave her away free to good home on Facebook. We jumped at the opportunity.
Wow! @pateco That is very nice. If that is the same sail... please tell me how you got it clean.