Old boats

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
We went to Blake Island, near Seattle, last month and there was a derelict boat tied up to one of the mooring balls. When we reported it to the ranger station, we were told that it is common for boats to show up in the middle of the night, stripped of all identification and valuable equipment. It's then up to the park service to dispose of it.

Apr 20, 2016
coastal recreation Inc. Balboa-Aquarius 23 washington nc
True Story: My Dad had a early Plywood Grady-White 12 ft. Utility skiff. When he could no longer do as he used to it sat in the yard under a pine tree. it disintegrated with time. It was on a trailer that I moved after pumping the tires up enough to mow the grass and weeds under it and move it back. I tried several, several times to haul it to the county land fill for him, for which he had no interest in doing. Every time I had to fill a portable air tank at the gas station and then pump up the rotting tires to move it to mow around it I cussed. Finally I figured out the story. As long as that boat was where he could still see it from his porch, the good memories of fishing and family times on the water ( I learned to water ski behind it in the mid 1960's) were still alive for him. So I made the trip to the gas station with my portable air tank, pumped up the rotting tires and mowed without cussing. Once each spring I washed it a little so it looked better and I sat beside him on the porch and day dreamed about tarpon fishing at night with him and him pulling us all over the river in an old patched up car inner tube and loved my Dad even more. When he died in 2013 that spring I hauled the old boat off to the land fill for my widowed mother, it was a sad day because the artifact of those happy memories was finally gone.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
True Story: My Dad had a early Plywood Grady-White 12 ft. Utility skiff. When he could no longer do as he used to it sat in the yard under a pine tree. it disintegrated with time. It was on a trailer that I moved after pumping the tires up enough to mow the grass and weeds under it and move it back. I tried several, several times to haul it to the county land fill for him, for which he had no interest in doing. Every time I had to fill a portable air tank at the gas station and then pump up the rotting tires to move it to mow around it I cussed. Finally I figured out the story. As long as that boat was where he could still see it from his porch, the good memories of fishing and family times on the water ( I learned to water ski behind it in the mid 1960's) were still alive for him. So I made the trip to the gas station with my portable air tank, pumped up the rotting tires and mowed without cussing. Once each spring I washed it a little so it looked better and I sat beside him on the porch and day dreamed about tarpon fishing at night with him and him pulling us all over the river in an old patched up car inner tube and loved my Dad even more. When he died in 2013 that spring I hauled the old boat off to the land fill for my widowed mother, it was a sad day because the artifact of those happy memories was finally gone.
Damn. This story.

Damn.

I think about my Grandfather's old Cruiser's 19' plywood lapstrake runabout, with the 90hp Johnson. I'm not sure which of us loved that boat more, me or him. I remember the chug of that motor at idle, coming in and out of the lagoon. Sitting on his lap driving the boat in circles. Blowing off trips to the beach with my Mom, just so I could go fishing with Granddad. The first time he let me take the canvas top off and go out by myself. There are 50 million more memories, and I wouldn't trade a single one for anything in the world.

I am blessed to have had my Grandfather. Blessed.

Crap, now I'm all misty-eyed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On my cruise through the Swinomish Channel this trimaran guards the channel as you say good bye to La Conner and head through the "Hole-in-the-Wall".
IMG_1140.JPG

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Is that an aluminum jon-boat on the starboard hull? That's the first boat I ever owned.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I'm sure a lot of you have heard of Green Cove Springs Marina on the St. Johns river in Fl. The yard is loaded with boats, mainly sail, from all over the world. It is a DIY yard and most boats eventually make it back to the ocean, but the ones that don't are put in the back woods where they tend to remain for years. An enterprising young man started a business recycling some of these derelict boats. Worth a call if your reconditioning an old boat. http://boatpartsferret.com/usedsailboatparts-com-monkey-fist-marine-in-green-cove-springs-fl/

Apr 20, 2016
coastal recreation Inc. Balboa-Aquarius 23 washington nc
Thanks RGRanger, I enjoyed the video. some of my happiest memories are when Daddy let me drive a 10 hp boat, a super A Farmall and a 1960 biscayne chevy on farm paths and dirt roads.

Aug 25, 2016
Luger Seabreeze 16 Traverse City
They assume until they see how fast your boat is...... cal's stand out
With their performance.
we had an early cal 30 when I was a kid with a braced mast. it was my dad and my mom with 2 kids (me and my brother) that was it. still got handicapped in a regatta. got put barely in front of a 45-50' racing boat with a 5 man crew. last time we did a regatta. apparently our boat had a reputation before we even bought it. we actually bought the boat crazy cheap at an auction because the previous owner passed and his estate never settled the storage account. Ended up a friend of my parents had the entire set of sails for the boat, and I mean every sail you needed because it was raced previously...and he basically sold them back to us for what must of amounted cut up pennies on the dollar.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I
Learned to
Sail
Thanks m. 1969 cal 2-30. Boat would do circles around the fleet. And so balanced you could set sails and not touch the wheel.... she would sit in the groove!

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Wow lots of replys to this and everyone has a story. my neighbor has a 38 cabo rico. she must have been a nice boat in her day the owner is about 80 years old and cruised with his wife for many years she died of cancer. long before I met him but has told me stories, he comes by once in a while maybe 5 or 6 months a year and there are suttle changes. but ask if he was inerested in selling he said it was worth 80 thou, the boat is in such disrepair it would take about 50 k just on the outside as I have never been down below. what would be the infatuation with that memories ? or just out of touch I agree with 1mcarson. on this this boat could have been somthing but now a lost cause but still paying out 400 dollars a month

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Yes I have seen this place cal green cove marina. and visted monkey fist, and went there to check it out. unfortunaly there prices are almost as high as buying new equipment not kidding a few more dollars and you can buy new. these items taken from boats by not to trust worthy people calling it salvaged. I think. I once looked at a choy lee for sale there someone had kicked the the companionway in and was living there for a spell.now those people that live there have been coming to our marina (not all) wonder why they put an 8 foot fence around the holland boat yard. I am glad we have camaras and locking fence and bathrooms. i would not promote this kind of place.

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Here's a couple ... disregard the foreground on this first one :)

derelect 1.jpg

This one was sunk for a long time.
derelect 2.jpg

Feb 4, 2016
Luger Tradewinds 50 Point Marina
Love this topic. A few years ago I found just such an abandoned boat. After 10 months of labour, and a few thousand dollars, she became my first trailer sailor. Loved the process. I've tried to embed a video I made of the restoration. Hope it worked .

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
So the first time I heard AJ's song I cried like a baby. I grew up n Galveston bay fishing in an 18' wooden boat with a 70 horse Johnson on the back. I learned about boats, fishing and just plane living with my grandfather on that boat. I grew up and wine to college and moved to Colorado, and before I knew it grandmother had sold the boat. I still miss her but, it's how I got myomere of the water.

It's sad to see and hear the stories but always good when someone manages to get one a bring her back to life. This forum helps foster that and I think if we look around we have a bunch of members right now working to restore their precious piece of history.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks RGRanger, I enjoyed the video. some of my happiest memories are when Daddy let me drive a 10 hp boat, a super A Farmall and a 1960 biscayne chevy on farm paths and dirt roads.
For me it was an uncle and his aluminum jon boat with a 65 Evenrude ... he would pull my cousins and me on an old inner tube through the bayous near Abbeville LA.

I hope I've done the same for my kids....