Old boats

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
I always find it very heart breaking seeing boats like this or that are tied up in a marina and haven't been looked at for years.
However this washed up Columbia (think it is a Columbia)made for a nice picture.
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Yes we have lots of those kinds of boats in the st augustine area. left to rot. and now a hurricane has past and there are more than you could count. washed up on shore or sunk ! a hazzard to navigation. some need to held accountable for these boats. I know its a hardship but why should we have to deal with the neglect of others. this boat has a number on it should be easy to track the last registered owner.. funny numbers tough. no state id. was this pic in the states??

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Yes we have lots of those kinds of boats in the st augustine area. left to rot. and now a hurricane has past and there are more than you could count. washed up on shore or sunk ! a hazzard to navigation. some need to held accountable for these boats. I know its a hardship but why should we have to deal with the neglect of others. this boat has a number on it should be easy to track the last registered owner.. funny numbers tough. no state id. was this pic in the states??
This boat was washed up on Goose spit in Comox British Columbia.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I see lots of them in marinas with someone paying moorage. I can't imagine keeping a boat i'm not using and then letting it disintegrate, especially considering the cost of moorage.

Ken

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
We have an O'day 39 that has been sitting on the hard for at least 16 years in our marina. Owners have paid the storage every season which is $3200 every year. The guys has yet to step foot on boat, just comes to office and pays. I contacted him 8 years ago and got permission to go aboard and make him an offer. Because the batteries have long ago died the interior has filled with rain to about 2' over the floor boards inside. The oil/fuels on top the rain water is terrible, engine is 2/3rds submerged, black mold on everything, flies and maggot infested, tree growing in back cockpit. All of the wind/water instruments in cockpit have long been destroyed.
Made the guy an offer of 15K and he laughed at me telling me the boat was worth 75K 8 years ago. I sent him all of the pictures I took and asked him to reconsider as it is a bio-waste sitting there. It is still sitting there, he is still paying.
It is so sad to see what was once a great boat just rot because an owner has his pride.

Nov 29, 2012
Of talking boats... Mommy, Daddy, what did you used to do all weekend when you were at the Catalina Isthmus?

May 26, 2016
Catalina 25 St Clair Shores, MI
There is a notorious area in the city of Detroit where dozens upon dozens of boats have been dumped ... nobody has been identified, but they keep showing up. Seems to me the owners could be traced fairly easily, as almost all have state MC registration numbers on them. Apparently, disposing of an old boat is difficult and expensive? Little to no market for recycled fiberglass, nobody to process them , etc. Couldn't the government handle them like they do with abandoned cars? If there were salvage value, I bet the problem would solve itself with scrappers grabbing them up...

Scurvy

Oct 2, 2012
Sabre ex: 28 MK 1 , ex: Albin Vega 27' Falmouth, ME
Kitaro2.jpg
Kitaro1.jpg
This was a pretty boat, Irwin Citation. I know they had their share of problems, blistering, some design flaws, but this particular one had a nice feel to it.The gentleman that owned it had developed cancer and was no longer capable of sailing her. I had gone down to take a look at it as he has posted it for sale and we sat below decks for hours as he told me stories about his children growing up on that boat, the weekend trips to Block Island, Cuttyhunk...Vinyard; all the places I used to sail when I was an owner. It broke my heart to see this picture, can't remember how I ran across it, but she didn't sell and is slowing deteriorating in the yard. All those memories and years of cutting through the seas with full sails fading into the past and soon to be forgotten.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2015
Oday 222 Lake Calhoun, Minneapolis
They all whisper their story, hard to hear if you're in a hurry. This one (is it derelict?) was near the mouth of the Susquehanna in Maryland August 2016
2016-08-07 10.26.10.jpg

Sep 23, 2016
Benetau Oceanis 40CC Comox
The problem in Canada is that NO level of government will take responsibility....so aside from the emtional story the old bateau could tell...its a piece of beach junk that should not be there....and as it deteriorates, it will add to the overall pollution of the food chain in the harbour where it is located.......not too distant from where I believe this boat to be...is a small harbour with about 10 to 12 boats all currently floating for for in intents and purposes...totally abandoned....this is not only a dereliction of responsibility by the owners, but a reflection on the governing bodies who see it only as a cost centre and cannot make any money for the....so.....ignore it........

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
PLenty down here in Rockport, Tx. too. I watched two 35+ footers go through "the process". They were abandoned in an out of business marina. Finally the marina silted in so there was no way to tow the boats out. Eventually the new owner opened the restaurant part of the marina and had a crane hoist the two out of the water. They had a fortune in sheet winches on them. Now the marina is just a big seagull perch. Sad as I eat Sunday breakfast there and watch an old marina die just like those boats did.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Actually, there is some "salvage" value in old sailboats, the scrap lead or cast-iron in the keels. Any usable parts would be a gold-mine to anyone trying to restore a sistership, just need to connect buyer to seller. The various fittings (blocks, cleats, rails, shaft and prop, etc.) might pay for the cost of disposing of the carcass in some areas.
However, the unfortunate fact is that far too often a boat (power or sail) sits "abandoned" in someone's private yard or a boat yard, or on an isolated mooring.... until it is far too late to save the boat. The owner really has no interest in using the boat, but won't sell unless someone offers top $$ for the boat! Every time that I see one of these poor boats I dream of buying the boat for it's present value, then after cleaning her up and fixing things... selling for what the owner is asking.... Hey, it is a great dream... but won't ever happen. There is an old Columbia 7.5 (25' LOA) near my home that has sat in hte owner's yard under a lot of trees for close to 10 years. He did list her on Craigs-List for a while, but no takers... he then listed her again for FREE, still no takers! On the outside, she looks like a day or so spent with a powerwasher, then a dat or so with a power buffer and some rubbing compound would bring her back. However, the inside has got to be a disaster, since hte compainionway has been open (although hatch closed?) for many years!
Many of these boats would find new homes if the owners were willing to "cut their losses" and sell for a price based on present condition, or if they were put up for sale soon after their last use. But, too often the boat comes out of the water and then sits (often without proper covering or winterization) for far too long. Then the owner tries to sell but prices the boat based on what they paid for her when in great condition. The boat has lost value due to neglect, but the seller stil lwants top dollar and so the boat continues to sit. Sometimes the problem isn't neglect, but that the owner is ready to sell, but can't find a buyer interested in a classic, too many new buyers only want the latest design, a "condo" on the water with all the latest goodies! The type of boat many of us would never set foot on even if we could afford the new boat price. So, their old boat sits....... rapidly losing value, but not always losing potential value. Unfortunately, the market for good old boats isn't increasing, since many of us that would seek out these boats are aging beyond the desire for a boat. Old fiberglass boats don't rot away like old wood boats, they eventually do reach the point of being beyond help, but by then they are borderline "hazardous waste" and difficult to get rid of. There is some research into ways to recycle fiberglass, but it hasn't progressed to a point of providing much hope for a solution yet.

Apr 24, 2014
S2 9.2 brady mt resort lake ouachita
we have a catalina 30 at our marina used to be a beautiful boat the husband passed away 10 years ago after a waiting period of about two years some people enquired if the wife would like to sell it she acted flabbergasted that someone would even ask she said no she was keeping it in her husbands memory in ten years she and her daughters have been down once to clean it up it is just rotting away we have pumped it out at least 3 times but she still insists she won't sell, on a happier side if you have a trailer you can make a little money on some of them you can haul them out either fix them up and sell them a lot of times just power wash and polish maybe a new bottom if not you can cut the keel out sell the aluminum and the parts we've usually made enough to pay for our trouble the trick is having a trailer, it's still a shame

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
We have a nautical flea market here in Rockport, Tx. every year. Every year this one fellow from up state has a booth full of goodies at rock bottom prices. For anyone doing a repair or adding something to the rigging this fellow has it. He gets his stock from diving on sunken sail boats in the lakes of Texas. He also has a standing deal with some other marinas where he will just take the derelict or abandoned boat off their hands, strip it and use a chainsaw to cut up the hull. He then carts it down the dump and for a minimal price gets rid of the fiberglass that way. He does a land office business here and I am sure he tours the state doing the same at flea markets.