old boat, new sailor, lots of questions

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Its a reply to Barry's first comment on 6/5/14.

That's not stupid, man, that's community service. That lane is spic and span now. My hat's off to ya!

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Catalina 22 South Lake Tahoe
prop pitch?

Thanks S.S.

my reefing blocks look to be in the same position as yours?

I think mine are factory?

To the root of my question, I would like to know what you think of my prop pitch..

I mostly use my motor in large short interval waves. 3-4' breaking whitecaps @1-2' apart.

While my boat is beating it self to death I want MAX thrust to get me past the jetty, around the corner and to the dock..
Im using a Honda Bh5 fourstroke 5HP long shaft.
3 Blade prop with these numbers- 200X190, Next blade has these numbers,-7 7/8-7 1/2
Third blade is blank, These are the same number?

Is this a prop that suits my application?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Cope,

It looks like you do have 2 cheek blocks in about the same position as I do. I'm not sure how your reefing line is set up, but I only use one there for the reefing line the other is for the topping lift. Yours probably aren't factory installed. I don't think that was an option on the first generation C22s. Or later, for that matter, but CaptDon would know.

Now prop pitch is a realm that I've yet to explore, so I'll defer to others who are more knowledgeable about that than I am.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Thank Goodness it was only the snowplow!!! For a minute there I thought you were teasing us with another disastrous "Guess who forgot to remove the rudder before trailering home" story. Just another reason I like using my gudgeon fitting mast cradle for transport to and from the lake. I KNOW the rudder is safely in the back of the truck...

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
I had planned to post my pics Thursday evening but had to work on my truck until midnight. We had to leave early yesterday for a weekend getaway in the SE Pennsylvania mountains. Will try to post them Sunday night or Monday. I am thinking of starting a new thread showing all of my running rigging mods because there are currently 2 threads dealing with running rigging issues. I was very lucky to have kept my boat at a Sailboat Marina that used to be a Catalina Dealer, they were great about giving advice on rigging options. Posted this from my I-Phone.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Thanks Barry that would.be quite helpfull.

As for the snowplow, well my cutting edge needed a good sharpening....

Any thoughts on my prop? Is this considered a high thrust prop?

Yesterday I changed the upper and lower oil in my outboard and have another question.
On the lower leg right next to the oil fill plug is a plug labeled "Wash", I thought it was a wash out so I pumped gear oil in and opps. I poured out the exhause and some other random holes. I used compresed air to blow as much oil out as.I could but what the heck is this other plug for?

Heres a shot of the sparkplug I removed for inspection.
Clean as a whistle..MAN I LOVE HONDA! (My Honda 11/32 Hydrostatic drive blower is a dream aswell)

My first launch of the season will be on Friday, yeah I know what day that is but its happening anyway. I have use of a slip in Tahoe Keys for the weekend and plan on using every second of allowed time. Im sure this will make me never want to trailer sail again but I just dont care. Im so excited to be at a real dock like the big kids (last year when I scoped the dock there was a C30 just on the other side and a quite nice C22 same color and vintage as mine. Hope there still around so I can meet the owners)...Not to mention sailing on the safe side of the lake for the first time is gonna be unbelievable.

I feal like a kid before Christmas!!

EDIT-Update. Moving the launch to tomarrow!
O yeah my buddy just called and has the day off, He wants to go out on the boat. I told him Im super broke and just cant. He replied, Well isint that why you got a sail boat?
Hes willing to not only pay for my once yearly fill up, launch and stupid new inspection sticker, Hes even gonna tow the boat...... (My truck is not happy right now..I think it ate a glow plug tip, Black smoke and very hard starting. Shiza comp test in order)
Dang this guy is a good friend and I think could be a life long sailor..

dance around and insert winning soccer chant here!!!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Wow Cope, exciting stuff! Don't forget your camera! As Don says "pictures! We want pictures!"

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
sailing

Well it was an interesting day.

Weather report was a bit off, big waves white caps abd more wind than I wanted.
All was going well, except that 2 crew never showed and the wind was blowing fresh in the wrong direction.

Screw it right ?

What can go wrong..We're to strong healthy guys.

OOPS...

Beat the boat across the lake under power as I was not comfortable with the wind.

Decide to fish a bit.. DANG.
End up with a large trebble sunk deep into my thumb...We not talking a easy one to get out but sunk straight in.

Tried the fishing line pulled down to try and get behind the barb.
Ouch.
Tried Twisting with plyers and pulling.
FU-k
Then sitting looking at this large hook sunk in, you just know its gotta come out.
F-Ck
PUSH THROUGH, Cut barb and remove.....
Dang it..

Last edited:

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Dr. Claw
learning the loose gauge.

just motoing, Claw pissed cus we not under sail.

We did get some decent sailing in tho.

Last edited:

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
That thumb frickin hurts.

Under sail and fealing better.

I cant wait to someday set my compas south.

Last edited:

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Barry, Thank you that is a well thought out post. I will see if I can apply some of that to my boat.

JustaCafe, That is a great link. Is that from the Cat association site?
It raise some more questions.

1. The Cunningham, Is that my boom down haul?
AKA, A line tied to the gooseneck and cleated off at the mast base?

2. The Flattener, What is this and dose anyone have a pick of it?

3. Not related, I wish to take my mom out on the boat this weekend and have questions about a real marina.
I called the marina and the girl i spoke with, who sounded all of 15 said that the chanel is 4'.
This should be plenty to get out provided I have the keel up and rudder kicked up as much as I dare?
I realise motoring with the rudder full up could be an issue but if I just be ultra carefull and go slow can this be a viable option?
The marina(Tahoe Keys) and slip I will use has a chanel out to the lake, What are the common rules in a situation like this? I figure look to make sure its clear and go for it. Once comited I AM the stand on vessel, Correct? There will be no maneuvering once comited to the chanel.

Thanks again for all your time and advice.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 wing Westbrook CT
Cope- just remember while under power you no longer have the right of way as a sailboat.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
They say you should learn something everytime you go out. Well this time i learned a lot with out even getting my boat wet.

After a year of planning my family came to enjoy some relaxing time on the lake.
We rented a nice condo with a private dock in Tahoe keys. Thats where the fun starts..

Lesson one.
YOU NEED insurance to use the marina.
I bet insurance on my boat would cost around 20 bucks amonth.
Instead I now feal totaly embarrassed in front of the family and ended up spending 419.00 on a pig rental powerboat.

Lesson two.
The term private dock is loosely used around here I guess.
When I check in i can see at least 3 boats tied to our private dock.
I mention this to the lady and her reply was "Well they most likely know its a vacation rental and are just used to parking there".....

Lesson three.
Ducks bite...

Lesson Four.
Even folks who say they hate boats most likely need to just go out on one.
My sister has always hated the family boat and all boats in general. She had no desire to even go out for a short drive, after some work by her husband we got her on the boat. So im out beating this Runnel like a rented donky and decide to power down and ask Em if she would like to try and drive the boat.
Her reply was I dont think its legal and I dont know how.

I got her in the drivers seat and told her to ease on the stick. we drove in circles with the bow pointing at the sky for ten min before I could convince her its way safer and easer with more throttle and the boat on plane.....
An hour later she's got that pig wide open and almost in the air.

Sis looking like a natural. I love this look, I see it on friends who know nothing about the water and then it clicks and the're hooked.

Em's winning smile. (just after hitting a large roler)

Now her husband is pissed....

He has to buy a boat...

Last edited:

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Here is a pick I took of one of the boats that was tied to "our" private dock..

Cant help but wonder if He has insurance...
Cuz he aint got no inspection sticker, TKPOA sticker or even current reg.

Hummmmm....

How has this not been towed to the police dock?

a shot of the "private" dock...

May hap they cant read?

The marina at night.

Also saw this verry nice Cat 22 in sad.shape, I hope the owners show up soon as its keel has to be in the mud.. Verry nice boat and sad to see.

Last edited:

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
well Im versed in removing fish hooks from flesh but what about this?
Balsa Rapalla J12 Stuck in the keel trunk, infront of pivot.

Pull out or just let fall out?

Thanks again.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I'd take at least 5 more huge photos of it before wiggling it outta there. :D