old boat, new sailor, lots of questions

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What do you folks think caused this pink stain under my.chainplate?

A leak. Pull it, fix it, bed it with butyl. :)

Nice job on the post. I use teak oil, but lemon oil works, too.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Catalina 22 South Lake Tahoe
Thanks.
And yeah the post came out very nice.

What do you think about bedding the maststep with butyl?
Will it work or should I look to some sort of sealer, 4200??

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Shooting for first sail of the season on Tuesday.

Crew will be my 78 year old neighbor, Ex airborne medic.
This guy is what U see when you look up bad as mo fo in the dictionary.

It always makes me happy to see total disaster mode and sailing trim.

Sealed maststep base with epoxy and block sanded. Front hole will be drilled to match bolt.

more to come..

This may be more of an S.A. crowd type question.
Concerning mooring balls. On my lake (Tahoe) there are hundreds of mooring balls. All are owned, leased or rented by someone. One precent are used. Say the weather is bad or the ramp is closed, can i hook to one of these balls for the night?
If

What is the common thing to do in a mooring if you find yourself on someone elses ball? (The balls are not numbered, so Im not even sure how one knows what ball is theres?)

Thanks again for the time and advice.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
Cope, that reddish stain under the chain plate is from a leak, the stain comes from water that leaked in from the deck and or windows and soaked the plywood you need to check the deck around anything that penetrates it for soft spots. Check the inside of any mounting holes to see if you can see the plywood core, if you can see the core check to see if it is wet, if the core a light tan color it should be OK if it is dark brown it has been saturated at some point. If you only see resin when you check the holes, they were sealed by a previous owners using the West System Method. The West System Method involves drilling out the mounting holes at least 1/8" larger than they are ( I like over drilling by 1/4" ) try to avoid drilling through the fiberglass headliner. Next using a Dremel tool with a straight sided cutting tool or a drill with a small bent nail or allen wrench and remove 1/8" or more of the wooden core beyond the the drilled hole. Next tape over the bottom of the hole and mix up some epoxy and fill the hole even with the surface of the deck. Wait a couple minutes and remove the tape and catch the epoxy back into the mixing container and retape the hole. Now add high density filler to the epoxy and mix together until its consistency of mayonnaise, using a syringe inject the mixture into the holes making sure it fills the entire void and smooth it off even with the top of the deck and let it harden for 24 hours. Once the epoxy is cured re drill the the original size hole in the center of the plug and mount your fittings using your sealer of preference. Will this stop leaks forever? NO, but it will channel the water straight into the cabin instead of into the core. The leaks will be clean and not reddish brown.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Thanks Barry.

All chainplates and both maststeep lag and bolt have been cleaned out epoxyed, redrilled and bedded with butyl tape. Now just gotta do bowsprit and stern rails and all cleats.....oh yeah nav lights also....

No sailing today, Lake forecast calling for 32-35 MPH gusts and 3 1/2' whitecaps..
Im not in that much of a hurry to test my reefing.
I did stand the mast and will be playing with the rigging.

On my boom I noticed these sheavs (blocks?) Currently im using one for my out haul... Oppps. And the other for my topping lift.. (also installed wrong)I will be adding a correct out haul soon. What are these intended for and how should all this be run?

Thanks again.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
I spent some time playing with my standing rigging and was amazed at how bendy my mast realy is. With my old bent toggels, stripped threads and screwy boddys the mast was never looking right. I still think the mast has way to much bend in it to the aft and would like advice on tuning my rig. I know they all are different just want to see if Im close.

8th inch wire= 2100Lb. breaking strength. (says loose gauge)

I suck at math but here goes....

Forestay.
2100 X .15 = 315
315 = @31 on Loose gauge.

Shrouds.
2100 X .12 = 252
252 = @28 on Loose gauge.

Backstay.
2100 X .11 =231
231 = @27 on Loose gauge.

Do these numbers sound ok for a "dry" tune?
How do I know how loose or tight the backstay realy should be?

Thank you for all the time and advice.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Looks good to me, those numbers are basically the same ones that I set my boat up with the first time I took her out. I was concerned enough to buy a tension gauge and get some numbers before launching and then tuned the rig while the boat was in the water at the dock. Since I trailer sail, I tried to mark each shroud, backstay and forestay so I could easily get the rigging back to the same starting point each time I launch.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
those blocks on your boom are for single line reefing. No way I can describe how it runs I'm not that good at typing directions but there are several images out there on how to do it diagrams are easy to find.

Anyway it's for single line reefing.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Is it just me or dose this site have a very nasty habbit of erasing posts?
I swear I cant even say how often I type a nice long thought out reply hit post get an error message page reloads and my reply is gone....
GRRRRRRRR......

any who.

Thanks guys and got a few more questions.

How do you tighten the aft reef cringle for a flat sail? With the amazing power of my new 4-1 out haul I dont see a 1-1 out hauld doing squat? main out haul is spliced to sail so no jist swapping them. So what do you use and what dose it hook to terminate at?

I played with the vang for the first time and I guess maybe i was expecting to much but no matter how hard I pulled I saw no noticable change in sail shape?

with my main halyard tighter than its ever been, my boom pulled down harder than ever, vang on razor tight and my new 4-1 out haul pulled on there was still a small "bag" in the sail. It ran most of the length of the boom and went about 3-4" up the sail. Is this my sail being blown out or am I not adjusting things right or the sail just never gets fully flat?

Other than that the sail shape was very pleasing and looking forward to sailing soon.
(all the adove was done on the trailer in the streat, kinda spoky having sail up on the trailer.)

Feb 26, 2004
Is it just me or dose this site have a very nasty habbit of erasing posts?
I swear I cant even say how often I type a nice long thought out reply hit post get an error message page reloads and my reply is gone....
GRRRRRRRR......
Hi, sometimes it's not the site. I use a laptop, an inexpensive plastic one, not one of those titanium super futuristic models! :D:D:D

any who, sometimes, if I'm posting a long message, if I lean on the side of the keyboard, strange things happen. Sometimes I hit keystroke combinations that are known only to Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Who knows...

If you keep having this problem, type it up in Word and then cut & paste it.

It hasn't been my experience that it's this website. It's usually at MY end.

Happy ctrl &%$#$^ to you, too. :):):):)

Feb 26, 2004
with my main halyard tighter than its ever been, my boom pulled down harder than ever, vang on razor tight and my new 4-1 out haul pulled on there was still a small "bag" in the sail. It ran most of the length of the boom and went about 3-4" up the sail. Is this my sail being blown out or am I not adjusting things right or the sail just never gets fully flat?
You're doing everything right. What you describe is called a foot shelf. It's built into the sail, don't rip it out by over tightening any more than you've described. Do a search, here or Google on foot shelf on mainsails and read all about why they are there and what they do.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Wow Thanks Stu!
Did some google and think I understand whats going on. With me never realy tightening thing Ive proly just never seen the sail in its correct shape....

Foot shelf, Learn something new every day!

Any thoughts on how to tighten the out haul when reefed? Still struggling with that one.

I have a fealing this may be a breakthrough year for my sailing experence.
Thanks for all the help.

Feb 26, 2004
Any thoughts on how to tighten the out haul when reefed? Still struggling with that one.
Why?

When you reef the reefing cringle at the clew BECOMES your new outhaul, and you "regular" outhaul becomes and is useless.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Im sorry to be such a bother but I still dont understand.
I did a google search and still dont get it.

Starting with main sail raised this is how I think I should reef.

Point into wind.
drop main halyard to reef cringle and tie fore reef cringle fast to boom/gooseneck.
Use square knots to secure bunt line and extra sail to boom.
Tie aft reef cringle to boom and --pull aft, with what?

Thanks again.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
Im sorry to be such a bother but I still dont understand.
I did a google search and still dont get it.

Starting with main sail raised this is how I think I should reef.

Point into wind.
drop main halyard to reef cringle and tie fore reef cringle fast to boom/gooseneck.
Use square knots to secure bunt line and extra sail to boom.
Tie aft reef cringle to boom and --pull aft, with what?

Thanks again.
Almost...

Heave to (c22 will do it no problem, more time to execute reef calmly).
Drop main halyard to secure tack reef cringle at boom.
Harden halyard.
Harden clew reef cringle (line is tied at boom fitting aft of cringle, goes up and through cringle, back down to cheek block aft of cringle on other side of boom and then forward to boom cleat).
Finally secure bunt loosely.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Cope,

Here's a picture of what they're describing, just ignore the topping lift line running upward and you should get the idea. Your aft reefing line should pull the clew both down and aft at the same time. Note the slab of mainsail hanging below the boom that you roll up and tie with your bunt lines/gaskets.

This picture shows a single-line system where the one line reaves through both cringles. Yours would cleat off on the boom about where my main outhaul is shown in this picture.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Thanks folks, I see what needs to be done to make my reefing work. (I think)

I would like to give a huge thanks to you folks. I would be fully lost without you.

Just for info I had a small dple where my kick up rudder detent was. It was on my list of things to check and low and be hold this hole had been filled with some type of filler...

I wish I had a before pick but there was not nuch to see before I poked at it.

The hole is now being repaired but just a warning to folks to check and see what is in/behind those divots..

Thanks again.

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
$tingysailor, your reef line is too far aft on the boom, it should much closer to the reef cringle. When it is pulled tight the cringle should not only be pulled aft but should also be pulled down tight to the boom. I will try to post a pic this evening.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
I'll admit it the optimal position is probably about halfway to the cleat but if you project the line forward in the picture, it's not too far away from bisecting the cringle patches. To move it forward would require moving everything else at the end of the boom except the mainsail outhaul. I haven't reefed it yet in real-world conditions this year but I'll definitely keep an eye it. I might add a fourth gasket through the cringle for the best purchase in both directions.

Thanks for pointing that out, Barry. I'm still curious to see yours, though.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Err?
You lost me there bud.
Is this in response to a different thread, I have yet to post picks of my reef set up?
Just got some new line and have yet to install on the sail.

I may ask my neighbor if I can lay my main and boom on their beautiful grass to set up my reefing and get pick. My yard is what you could call "natural landscaping"or conserving water or just im to frickin cheep to have grass...

Edit-Figured Id add this just for fun. I just mooved the truck and trailer/boat back to my house. I while driving there was this hidious noise like like keel or axle was dragging.. I slow down speed up but its still there, just as Im looking for anspot to pull over I realise THE SNOWPLOW IS DOWN....

OOPS....
MAN I FEAL STUPID...