old boat, new sailor, lots of questions

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Those are Catalina Direct mast gates. I'm installing mine this weekend.

Currently your sail slugs only drop as low as your thumb screw. The gates will allow the last two slugs to get virtually to the boom for complete and efficient reefing...

The screws you reference should really be threaded bolts so repeated removal doesn't elongate the holes over time. The CD kit comes with a drill bit and tap to thread the mast.

If you like to reef, I think these are a necessity to keep a good shape on the mainsail.
please post a picture of them installed... I cant quite get it in my mind how they work as it has been described. I want to add a mast gate on my 25, but havent found a style i liked yet...:D

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Catalina 22 South Lake Tahoe
I think they go like this..

It looks like mine blew out on the bottem and need some reshaping..

Thanks again.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
That's it, all it does is allow the slugs to reach the boom so the new tack as a result of the reefing is down low and the main retains it's shape..

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
I have a long list of stuff to check, repair and replace.
one of those things was the turning ball and keel winch cable.
Looking to cross easy stuff of my list I figure turning ball is easy right?
Just open hatch remove hose and look...

Not so much. I open the hatch only to find a giant tangle of wires, some if not most wire tied to the keel winch hose...
I did not take any picks of the mess as some of it was my fault but here is my fix..

Trash wire, lots of extra.....

some required tools, beer mostly..

New buss blocks.

No more rats nest. now Im able to move the winch cover pannel around and can even disconnect it completely with one plug from the rear of the stereo.
No more worries about tearing the VHF power or any other wires out when I need access ti the keel winch or turning ball. (That looks so new I can only hope that the PO did the keel pivot at the same time, but thats another Item for another day..)

Thanks again for all the time and advice.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Buffing

spent the day with the big buffer, got one side done.

my question is how to get my top sides looking this good?
Can I just wash with TSP and a stiff brissle brush then go at it with the hand wax and buffer?

Is wax on the deck a bad idea, slippery???
Any cheep home brew ideas to get her top as smooth and clean as her bottem?

Heres what happens when you touch, rub or sit on the deck...

Thanks again for the time and advice.

Feb 24, 2014
1978 Catalina 22 Lake of the Woods, Ont
spent the day with the big buffer, got one side done.

my question is how to get my top sides looking this good?
Can I just wash with TSP and a stiff brissle brush then go at it with the hand wax and buffer?

Is wax on the deck a bad idea, slippery???
Any cheep home brew ideas to get her top as smooth and clean as her bottem?

Heres what happens when you touch, rub or sit on the deck...

Thanks again for the time and advice.
What are you using with the buffer? Are you using an automotive style waxing buffer?
Good question on the top side clean-up. This is what I have waiting for me as well.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Im useing a 12" buffer that I borrowed from my neighbor.
carnuba wax a spray bottle with water and some wax in it and old clean work shirts to do the wipe down.

This is the second year Ive done the hull sides and bottem this way, so the sides and bottem buff out easy now.

Any ideas on the top and non skid?

Thanks again for a great site and info.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I buffed my top sides out but I'm no fan of putting any kind of wax on the topsides. I'd rather clean a bit more often and slip and hut myself.

With that said I love my magic erasers that you can get from the grocery store they work miracles as far as I'm concerned. I get them at sams club in tubs I use them so often. Wife uses them all over the house including the grout in the tile floors.

I'm sure their is a wax out there that's made specifically for the topsides. But then again going on the cheep even mop and glow or a wax made for home floors wouldn't be slippery since obviously you wouldn't want to slip around you kitchen. I've done wood working all my life and love using carnuba on my wood pieces since it's so hard but I've experimented with tons of different waxes and honestly a good chunk of them have about the same end result.

I would try a small area in a non walking location just to see what happens with whatever you use.
Just a thought.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Allen are you using the buffer "dry" on the topsides?
If so how do you avoid burning the little jell coat that is left?

In post #20 I described what I think is the correct way to go about reefing.
Can someone say if this is correct or what is out of order or just plain wrong?

Thanks for taking time out of you day to help school this green sailor.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
not dry. Mine was pretty bad had to start with a fine grit sand paper to get the oxidation off then moved to a wet ultra fine paper. Then moved to a rubbing compound but I've never waxed it. Just scrubbed after that.

Again I'm sure there are a thousand ways of doing topsides but after all that mine was like a mirror and really haven't had any issues and have been pretty happy since.

Honestly if you want to wax I'd look at whats for sale for power boats as well after all a top side is a top side no matter whats powering the boat and theirs a lot more power boats out there than sailboats.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Got some sailing in today!

Ok so not on the real boat but still sailing and lots of fun.

I do have a real question tho.
Where do you store your life vests when not in use and is that location USCG aproved, as in with in reach?

I store mine in side the cabin in the forward starboard settie...But I dont think this would fly with the USCG or our water cops...
Starboard cockpit locker is full with a milk crate that holds my spare ancor, port cockpit locker is fuel tank. There is room for the vests in here (port cockpit locker) but they could just as easy slide all the way forward and still be out of reach..
I have never been boarded and the USCG,water cops are some of the best folks on the lake. I just wanna make sure I comply with all the rules.

Thanks for the time and advice.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Hey, sailing is sailing! This counts in my opinion! It should be a more comfortable way to get to be a year round sailor!
I've always wanted to try the little R/C sailboats. I've messed around with just about every other type of R/C thing out there, just haven't tried those. During the restoration of my 1975 C22, I've been getting my sailing fix on our Sunfish boats.
Love the pics by the way. That water is beautifully clear.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
years ago I built my own rc sailboat had as much fun building it as sailing it spent a full winter building it lap strake style. Anyway yah they are fun for sitting on the beach and relaxing.
Only problem I had with mine was storing it was kind of a pain since I didn't allow for it to be takin apart. So it was pretty big. Probably bigger than I should have made but anyway was fun.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Those are "Hobbyking" brand Phantom. They are super cheep at 140.00 shipped to the door from their USA wharehouse in Oregon. They are a "One meeter" design. Hull is 1000mm and mast is 1890mm. I remove the mast for transport and She fits in the back seat of my 1971 Dodge dart.

I have built a few wood hull modle boats. They are great fun to build and look second to none with some water and sun on them.
Here is my latest wood modle. (WARNING-Stinkpot) She is an "Easy Vee" By Joe at Zipp kits.
Power is a water cooled 28.5CC 2 stroke. Knife edged, port timing duration opened ALOT, gasket matched and polished by me. Spinning a custom 2.7" by 1.6 pitch prop at 18,000-22,000 RPM She runs a steady 53 MPH on garmen GPS.
I need to make her a larger prop, I think the motor will push 60 MPH with a new prop and carb tune.

Next winter I hope to build a flat bottem hydro from "Blazer Marine".

Ok enough of that, I could on about RC stuff till the cows come home....

Back to Catalina questions. What do you floks think about life vest storage?
Should they be in the cockpit locker with the fuel?
In the cockpit I do have 4 throables, a life ring off the starboard sternrail and a lifesling on the port stern rail.

With all this saftey gear in the cockpit do I still need my life vests with in arms reach?

Have any of you been boarded by the USCG or local water cops? If so how did it play out?

On Tahoe we have USCG who are great. They tend to pace on a parallel track at about 50-75 yards out,while checking us out with binoculars.

We also have water cops, They tend to come full throttle on a collision course then bear off at about 20 feet and haul ass somewhere else. I just would like to be in full compliance if and when I do get boarded.

On a funny note at last years celebrity golf tournament I decided I wanted nothing to do with the gaint raft of drunken boaters so I anchored out about 50 yards off and row ashore for drinks and fun. Later I look over and the bright Orange USCG RIB is anchored fender to fender with me. On the other side also fender to fender with me is the big shiney aluminum fast attact water cops. Next to them is NV state fish and wildlife boat....

Man I just about needed new shorts..I kinda stand up straight brush my self off and head to my.dinghy. The entire time Im thinking dang.did they see me drinking that beer as I was putting.out the anchor???

I row up to my swim ladder tie of the dingy and climb into my boat thinking here we go. The USCG guys say "Hi nice spot u got here hope you dont mind us sharing it with ya." No sir says I. I tell them Im heading out and they kinda look at whats going.on with our boats. There is NO WAYim backing.down on my stern anchor so they fend off while I drag it in.

I give the out board a bump in forward go forward, collect my main anchor and motor away... Just as Im leaving the mooring area a large old crusty bayliner comes hauling as in flying a.pirate flag off a whip. I looked back over my shoulder just in time to see the water cops haul as over to that guy..

Lesson learned, Having a decently maintained boat displaying good seamanship and saftie gear goes a long way in keeping the USCG, Water cops off the boat...

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
Fairly vague if you ask me and it looks a lot like it's up for interpretation by whoever is the coast guard guy.

Honestly I didn't know I needed to have a throwable type IV never needed it but then again never saw a coast guard boat either. :) So I'm glad I tried to find the answer to your question.

Accessibility
•Wearable lifejackets must be readily accessible.
•You must be able to put them on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (vessel sinking, on fire, etc.).
•They should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them.
•The best lifejacket is the one you will wear.
•Though not required, a lifejacket should be worn at all times when the vessel is underway. A wearable lifejacket can save your life, but only if you wear it.
•Throwable devices must be immediately available for use

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
First answer on buffing and waxing topsides, I used a medium grit compound and a buffer with compound pads. Check out auto geek.com

When I compounded LoKi she was in bad shape having sat for a few years unused. You should start with the least grit compound and pads you can get away with when you begin, let the pads do the work. Pushing on the buffer will only cause damage. I followed the compounding with Collinite's no 925. The Collinite at first seems high until you see how far it will go..

Maine Sail has covered this issue better than anyone here, look up the thread. What I did to my boat was nearly spot on to his advise, you'll not go wrong following his advise.

Remember the "topsides" is from the boot stripe to the rub rail. On the deck, I compounded including the nonskid, then I used the Collinite on the smooth areas, bulkheads and smooth areas in the cockpit... No problems but then I never step on the smooth areas..hehe:eek:

My buffer is the porter cable you see at auto geek

Good luck

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
We've been using the vest type for a few years now, if it's not bad they laying just inside the cabin, along with two "others" in the V berth. The vest are only counted if worn. But the V berth is used as storage on LoKi cushions were long ago removed. I don't think I stow them in the fuel locker, be rough to wear if they smelled of fuel.

Jun 8, 2012
Catalina 22 Portsmouth
Ken you are correct. An inflatable or type V pfd must be worn to count. As for readily accessible this is going to depend a lot on the boarding officer. The throwable is less vague. Immediately available is the terminology. This means in arms reach. I am a coast guard boarding officer and the best way for me to tell if someone's life jackets are in an acceptable location is by asking the mariner to get them. If it takes 5 minutes then the location is not going to work. If they are still wrapped in plastic from the store not gonna work. As for the fuel locker I would say its a bad idea. One reason you might want to put on a life jacket is due to a fire. Guess where fires start?

The other thing to remember is as boarding officers with recreational boating safety which is the mission you will most likely encounter the CG doing, our primary goal is to educate. Corrected on the spot goes a long way when that boarding report goes to a processor. Encounter us doing a counter drug mission and we might not even ask about life jackets! Please don't quote me if you get stopped by us. Every boarding officer does things a bit different and not too many of them are wrong. Be safe, and remember respect and courtesy are two way streets!