Oh NO! - Not Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
It may just be brushes. If you have an auto electric guy he can probably fix it for less. There are still a few of those old school guys workiing out of their garages and small shops around here. It could also be that the armature needs cleaning. They are made of copper and that is not the best metal for a marine environment.
BTW how's the back?

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
$300

$300 is a fair price. It is typical automotive price. The people who wanted $1,000+ were thinking famous sailboat guy who on this thread already had 2365 hits so at $.043 a hit we can make money! Yes charge for the word sailboats! Charge the famous guy!

Ed K
Addendum:

Occam's razor

Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor[1]) is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae (translating to the law of parsimony, law of economy or law of succinctness).

The Razor generally recommends selecting the competing hypothesis that makes the fewest new assumptions (aka postulates, entities) when the hypotheses be equal in other respects. For instance, they must both sufficiently explain available data in the first place. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.[2]

The principle is often summarized as "the simplest explanation is more likely the correct one". This summary can be misleading, however, since the principle is actually focused on shifting the burden of proof in discussions [3]. That is, the Razor is a principle that suggests we should tend towards simpler theories (see justifications section below) until we can trade some simplicity for increased explanatory power. Contrary to the popular summary, the simplest available theory is often a less accurate explanation (e.g. metaphysical Solipsism). Philosophers also add that the exact meaning of "simplest" can be nuanced in the first place[4].

Occam's Razor is attributed to the 14th-century English logician, theologian and Franciscan friar Father William of Ockham (de Okham) who wrote "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity" (entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem). This is also phrased as pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate ("plurality should not be posited without necessity").[5] To quote Isaac Newton, "We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. Therefore, to the same natural effects we must, so far as possible, assign the same causes."[6]

In science, Occam’s razor is used as a heuristic (general guiding rule) to guide scientists in the development of theoretical models rather than as an arbiter between published models.[7][8] In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic, and certainly not a scientific result.[9][10][11][12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Attachments

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
If you have an auto electric guy he can probably fix it for less.
That was just done last spring. The shop down here says that the solenoids are usually not included in a rebuild of this particular starter but are simply replaced. The replacement stock ran out a few years ago (1970's engine). He may be able to clean up the contacts but that depends on how badly they are worn or burned.

If it's fixed I'll either keep it for a spare or to bail out some other unfortunate 2QM20 owner.

BTW how's the back?
Better than it's been since I left Portland. I never had much luck with PT before and was expecting a long recovery. Previously however, I was still trying to keep up with normal life at the same time, chasing kids and dogs around, lifting things, working, driving here and there. When you totally stop, rest, and follow the PT instructions to the letter, it's amazing how fast you can not only bounce back but be better than before.

Anyone with low back pain should get a PT evaluation. It's not necessarily something you just have to live with because you are getting old. I do the exercises twice a day, gradually adding reps, and am still improving. My back hasn't felt this good in over a decade. An active lifestyle is not enough. You need the targeted exercises to develop the muscles that support the SI joint.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I called Ploener's this morning and they said everything should be ready after lunch. They have since located and ordered a selection of replacement parts for my old solenoid although they haven't opened it up yet. I'll probably leave with two starters.

This seems like a first class outfit and a real resource for mid Atlantic boat owners:

http://www.ploenersapco.com/

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Roger, I know it doesn't help you now, but it's very common for active long distance cruisers to carry a spare starter. Often, even if it's the wiring, taking it on and off fixes the problem. But if you throw on a new starter, which as you say is easier than troubleshooting, even a wiring issues will usually correct itself or make it obvious. Chuck

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
roger--dont feel bad--i toasted my only starter 5 mi north of cedros island..oops--had to drift at sea for almost 48 hours. glad you found a good resource for em on east coast. smooth sailing.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
oh no not again

If you have a generator carry a 1/2" drill with 5/8 socket an impact doesn't work and just start with drill

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
C&D Canal Already

That web site takes me to Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. Wow! You moved up fast. You will be in Cape May tomorrow...

"This seems like a first class outfit and a real resource for mid Atlantic boat owners:

http://www.ploenersapco.com/"

Attachments

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Next stop? Cape May, Atlantic City, Bermuda?

You really need to point out to Phil the number of hits you're are getting. He should volunteer to pay the bill. This has been one active thread.

Hey is this a video of Roger rounding Cape May?

http://tinyurl.com/c33bbeg

Ed K

Status
Not open for further replies.