O'Day Javelin Larger Jib Sail?

kgray9

May 28, 2022
Daysailer 2 Lake Sunapee
Hello everyone!

I have an O'Day Javelin 14 (SailboatData.com - JAVELIN 14 (FOX) Sailboat) that I acquired for free. I have actually sailed it multiple times now, and it's been great! Last time I went sailing, the wind was gusting up to 35 knots and managed to shred my jib sail pretty bad. I am looking to buy a new one, but of course, I want to get the best option and for the cheapest!

Would a jib sail with these specs work on the Javelin? I do realize that I would have to move the rails farther back to accommodate the larger foot: In order, Luff, Leech, Foot, LP, Condition, Cloth weight, Luff style, Sailmaker, Boat, SKU, Price, Notes.
13.512.67.87.25New4oz DacronWire Luff w/HanksCatalinaCatalina or Capri 14.220671$175.00Aqua/White, Vision Window, Bi-Radial, Twist Hanks, New never Used Factory Spec Catalina or Capri 14.2 Jib, Light Shop Dirt, No Bag.

Or would this one work?
14.0513.27.46.8New4oz DacronWire Luff with hanksCatalinaCoronado 1524028$175.00All Yellow. New Never Used Factory Spec OEM Coronado 15 Headsail, 1.15' Head Pennant, Vision Window, Mild Shop Dirt, White Sail Bag.

My Javelin Specs:
13.3312.256??4oz DacronWire Luff w/Hanks?????

Besides sizing, there's also bi-radial or crosscut. Which would you all recommend? I have read that a bi-radial holds up better and tends to keep its shape longer, but if it is used with a furler, it loses its shape faster. I don't have a furler.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Suggest you review this earlier post I made:

Doesn't matter, furling or hank on, it's the size the cut that does.

kgray9

May 28, 2022
Daysailer 2 Lake Sunapee
Suggest you review this earlier post I made:

Doesn't matter, furling or hank on, it's the size the cut that does.
Thanks @Stu Jackson ! Yeah, I figured the furling or hank-on didn't matter much. I only mentioned it, because it seems like bi-radial can lose its shape quicker than a crosscut, when it is being furled.

That is an awesome jib sail diagram!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That is an awesome jib sail diagram!
Glad it helped. I must admit I did NOT draw it, but it has answered so very, very many jib luff perpendicular questions, as well as ones like yours, I felt it worthwhile saving and reposting (sometimes often in any given month! :)). I saved in back in 2015. Thx to whomever actually drew it.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I do realize that I would have to move the rails farther back to accommodate the larger foot
You don't necessarily need to move the rails. You could just live with it, you can still sail with a bad sheeting angle, just not as efficiently.
You could also go with a twinger/tweaker setup where you attach the sheet as far aft as practical and control the sheeting angle by running the sheet through a low friction ring which is attached via a line to a forward location such as your old fairlead. This sounds more complicated than it is.
Tweaker+or+Twing.jpg

You also extend the old rail rather than move it, but that might cost a lot.