O'Day emblems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Emblem update. That was quite the undertaking but finally I have something I believe will be displayed on a number of boats. Several problems arose with this project some of which were color bleed both from the molds and multiple color casts. The other major problem was the acrylic catalyzing that yielded a brittle or uncured cast. After a visit to a local craft store and a discussion with the manager the Easy Cast Epoxy was determined to be the best possible option. This exhibits a completely different chemistry than West Systems which proved to be brittle for this application. The molds of urethane are working well and promise many years of good service. The only drawback to this is the slow cure speed, especially when layering colors. Overall this looks like it will achieve the results I have been looking for, those being, layered colors, non brittle, easily cast, imperfection repair ease and supplies readilly available. Bear with me all, as the emblems should start to go out by mid week. Here are the photos that I believe you will agree are light years ahead of where I was a week ago.

Attachments

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
very impressive........can these be made with just the Oday lettering?.....I think you should make a bunch and show up at our annual North East Oday rOnDAYvous which will be in Jersey City this July and sell them, I'd buy a pair
BTW you don't have to come by boat we have a lot of folks who drive in and stay at local hotel/motel

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hi there RAD. The mold for everybody else has the white field with Oday only. They can add the length designation as they choose. I am also going to make a set of molds without the Oday in the white field so should someone want to engrave the boat name or their name they can do that also. All the colors can be switched to suit one's taste. The first set went out today and the next will go out probably Thursday. Hey Kieth of "My Girl" those are yours. I did 'em in blue flag, black Oday and white field for the more eighties look. I'm running low on resin but will pick up some more Friday. So what colors you want RAD? I'm leary of selling them for fear of a copyright infringement beef. I am happy to give them away though. With the temps in the minus numbers the work on YOT has slowed to a crawl so not much to report on 'And so it begins' thread. This is my payback for all the great advise and encouragement I've recieved from everybody at Odayowners.com

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
As some brave souls begin receiving their emblems perhaps a word about their finishing is in order. For detailed instructions see: www.usa.com/consum/easycast/easycast.html These may be engraved with the model i.e. 26, 28 34 etc. and any acrylic paint can be used to color the letters/numbers you choose. Don't get to picky as you will be sanding the top of the field as I sand the number area to insure no bleed through of the 27 from the original. The colors are molded in so there is little danger that nicks will pose a problem. Enjoy them and as you recieve them hopefully you share your thoughts here. I am always looking for ways I can improve the end result.

Attachments

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Joe,
Much thanks for your time and generosity but don't be shy and ask for supply donations I'm sure know one would object....any way you stated "I am also going to make a set of molds without the Oday in the white field so should someone want to engrave the boat name" I think the name Free Spirit engraved would be a nice touch and I like the blue with the red flag

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hi again RAD. I will be starting the molds tonight with the blank field. This weekend I will cast you a set. I will look for an engraver to put the FREE SPIRIT on them. The engraving part would come with a cost or you could have them engraved by a local engraver. The cost of supplies has already been taken care of. Everything except the Easycast is a byproduct of my restoration of YOT. This was all stuff I was experimenting with to make a suitable cabin liner patch. This is also a good way to use up the materials since they don't keep for extended periods of time. The real thanks belong to gcw who asked about these. Without him starting this thread I would be wondering what to do with this stuff.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Great....I'd be more than happy to compensate you for your time and the engravers cost let me know.....send me a personal message

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hey a little feedback would be appreciated. By now some of you have received a few of the first sets. I know they are far from perfect. Aside from color bleed and surface finish I would like to get your impressions. RAD yours are through the first casting but I am unhappy with the end result with the blanking of the field. Using a first pour cast that has been touched up I am pouring new molds that will provide a far superior finish for the next casting. The reason I am seeking feedback is to improve the quality of the finished emblems. I can't do this without fresh eyes that see problems that I might otherwise overlook. The color bleed problem has been solved and there are other improvements some of which are more precise color matching and the timing of multiple color pours. Don't be bashful. In the absence of an alternative I would like to offer an outstanding replica of the Oday emblems. Those who have them puhleez report your findings here so that others may offer advise on getting these emblems great.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Aaaallll right then. I'd like to give everyone an update on these emblems. First, Keith your initial set showed back up in my mailbox today looking like the package had gone through a meat grinder. Just as well they looked like crud compared to the one's I'm working on now. I have polished several of the second round casts and poured new molds. Any flaw in the mold transfers to the casting immediately. So as the molds become progressively smoother and not quite flawless but way better some new samples will be forthcoming. The down side to this is each mold must cure for 36 hours before a pour can be tested. On top of this each casting requires a cure of 24 hours and requires 8 to 10 hours to complete. The actual time required to make a set is about fifteen minutes so other than that it's not a big deal labor wise. So bare with me as progress is slow but definately being made. I can promise the end product will be worth the wait.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Sorry the trouble. Thanks though for the emblems. I hope to be able to return the favor someday.
Keith

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Don't give up yet Keith as I haven't. I just got sidetracked on this project. I have managed to improve the quality and just layed my hands on a pantograph style engraving machine. Yours will be complete along with RAD's shortly. Remember I'm the guy who knowingly bought a thirty four year old boat with a known litany of problems and I'm plugging away with it's restoration. A few emblems while challenging are not an insurmountable task. Myself and a coworker managed to reprogram a CNC mill to engrave and now we can't get any open machine time as it is in use almost constantly. So on to the antique engraver for the antique emblems. Hang in there I promised and I don't break a promise. Do you want "My Girl" or O'DAY 26?

Oct 2, 2008
25yearslater said:
Don't give up yet Keith as I haven't. I just got sidetracked on this project. I have managed to improve the quality and just layed my hands on a pantograph style engraving machine. Yours will be complete along with RAD's shortly. Remember I'm the guy who knowingly bought a thirty four year old boat with a known litany of problems and I'm plugging away with it's restoration. A few emblems while challenging are not an insurmountable task. Myself and a coworker managed to reprogram a CNC mill to engrave and now we can't get any open machine time as it is in use almost constantly. So on to the antique engraver for the antique emblems. Hang in there I promised and I don't break a promise. Do you want "My Girl" or O'DAY 26?
Thanks 25,
Ody 26 would be best I think. Thanks for the work. Sounds like u have a full plate! I have yet to be able to get started on any of the projects. This weekend, like most of mine, are shot with overtime at work. I guess I should be thankful we r shorthanded when so many r out of work, but it does get old.
Keith

Sep 16, 2009
ODAY 25 Lake Travis
I think they look Great!

And Id love a pair when your comfortable with the production... I don't even care if they're perfect--- I dig "Unique" !
Thanks and good work.

Gabriel

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Soon as I wrap up a few for RAD and Emergpa1 I'd be happy to make you a set. If you are interested gcw sent me some real neat oldies I'm making mold refinements to. I'll pop some pics of the first round cast so you can get an idea what they look like. RAD would have his but I didn't have the clamps set right on the engraver and goofed them a bit. Another set are curing as I write. Emergpa1 yours are also curing tonight for the engraving Monday. Color consistency and depth are all good and the molds are finally broken in. I'll post some pics of the progress tomorrow as well.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
OK, here we go. From bottom of first picture: Oday 27 in red,white,blue with red letters and glitter added. Top of first pic: antique first round cast from gcw original, to check ability to modify prototype for three color. Picture 2: test engraving of Boat name and variable length mold. And Pic 3: Fresh from the molds for RAD and Emergpa1 and engraving. So bare with me as progress is slow but being made.

Attachments

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Ready Gabriel? With the molds free I can start yours. First I need to know boat name or Oday 25? It matters as it determines which mold I use. Next is color selection of flag, Oday and field/background. For available colors go to www.michaels.com and search 'Apple Barrel' for the color chart. Finally glitter can be added to any or all parts. I am also working on a black flag red lettered deal that if I can find a miniature skull and cross bones that will fit on the flag I will be founding the Oday pirates association. Dedicated to plundering good times and pillaging adventure afloat. If you want to wait for the antique version that's OK also.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Emergpa1 on their way tomorrow. RAD I need an address. Please PM or E-mail me via this site. Once you receive them an honest critique posted here would be appreciated. As far as letter coloring I'll leave that to you as there are too many Apple Barrel colors for me to stock and it's just plain a tedious process for me to do in any quantity. I will be posting a how to with photos of the process I use.

Attachments

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Emergpa1 on their way tomorrow. RAD I need an address. Please PM or E-mail me via this site. Once you receive them an honest critique posted here would be appreciated. As far as letter coloring I'll leave that to you as there are too many Apple Barrel colors for me to stock and it's just plain a tedious process for me to do in any quantity. I will be posting a how to with photos of the process I use.
WOW :dance:
I'm speechless
you the man:theman:

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Now for the finishing touches. Should you decide to highlight the letters and or numbers one way I use is to use paint (Apple Barrel) or combine 4 drops each of Easy Cast epoxy resin and hardener with one drop of the Apple Barrel color of your choice. I suppose any epoxy resin i.e. West, MAS or others will work as well in their respective proportions. Apply single small drops using a toothpick or other small tipped applicator. (now you know why I'm leaving that to the recipient) Don't be concerned about any overflow as it is easily cleaned from the surface after it dries by gently dragging a razor blade across the overflow, very much like shaving but with the sharp edge away from the direction of travel. A caution is in order here, below 45 degrees they do become fragile to a certain degree and bending will break them. In the event they have bent in transit simply place under warm water and once they hit approximately 90 degrees you will be able to wrap them around your finger. So have fun as I have enjoyed the project and adding something unique to the Oday community.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
25yearslater said:
Now for the finishing touches. Should you decide to highlight the letters and or numbers one way I use is to use paint (Apple Barrel) or combine 4 drops each of Easy Cast epoxy resin and hardener with one drop of the Apple Barrel color of your choice. I suppose any epoxy resin i.e. West, MAS or others will work as well in their respective proportions. Apply single small drops using a toothpick or other small tipped applicator. (now you know why I'm leaving that to the recipient) Don't be concerned about any overflow as it is easily cleaned from the surface after it dries by gently dragging a razor blade across the overflow, very much like shaving but with the sharp edge away from the direction of travel. A caution is in order here, below 45 degrees they do become fragile to a certain degree and bending will break them. In the event they have bent in transit simply place under warm water and once they hit approximately 90 degrees you will be able to wrap them around your finger. So have fun as I have enjoyed the project and adding something unique to the Oday community.
Sweet! I just got mine in the mail tonight and they are beautiful. Very very nice work! I hope to be able to return some sort of favor!

Status
Not open for further replies.