Oday 27 New to Me (Project)

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
Another question. Was any of your exterior wood pieces screwed through the outside? Mine seem to all be drilled and countersunk for exterior fastening. The cabin top handrail are the only pieces I have that fasten from the inside.

Also, any idea where to get the jib track that screws on top of the toe rails? Mine seems to be drilled for it, but I don't have the track.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2016
Oday 27 Milton, FL
Do not have any pictures yet but will be going to the boat at the end of this month--plan to spend as much time as possible to work on the boat during May and June. Going to take pictures of everything so we can have pictures as we progress. Last time on the boat it was raining so it gave us a chance to figure out where we had leaks--also bilge pump was not working and manual pump out in the cockpit apparently disconnected (no hoses). I have been compiling project list so we can prioritize the projects--lots of cosmetic items both interior and exterior but first want to check out the electrical system (12v and shorepower) We sent the roller furler jib out to have seams repaired. Last week took the outboard motor (Tohatsu 6 hp)
removed and cleaned the carburetor, new fuel line filter, sparkplug, changed the oil and lower unit oil--(alternator working fine) that looked like it had not been serviced in long time----so the list of things to do goes on and on, although our plan is to take it out for several days on the BEER (Blackwater Environmental Encounter Rendezvous) Cruise out of Pensacola.

Apr 5, 2016
Oday 27 Milton, FL
Have not checked all the exterior wood pieces but looks like plugs where maybe screwed in from the outside--I will let you know after I get down there on the boat.
Not sure about the jib track but will ask around--there is a place in St Augustine called Sailors Exchange (www.sailors-exchange.com) where you can find all kinds of pieces and parts --There are a few places in Pensacola that have used boat parts so when I am looking around I will see what they have when you are looking for parts.
The stainless steel sink in our galley has some rust spots but found at friends house that has quite a few surplus boat parts. Did find the drain line from the galley works ok and drains --thru-hull on the starboard side and ice box drains into the bilge.
When we purchased the boat took us about a day to clean it out--Refrigerator did not work, rusted microwave, electric toaster, etc, and just general trash--ended up with a bunch of trash bags. Then we cleaned everything inside--fortunately the interior cushions were in good condition.
It will take a while (and money of course) to her back in good condition--we just retired so we are lucky from the stand point of having time to work on things, along with some friends that have a lot of experience renovating and working on boats.
Keep us posted how you are progressing and any problems you find (I imagine we will both run into some of the same issues)or parts you make be looking for

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
Back from the boat, and managed to get a few things done. Tested the electrical system, and the interior lights work! That's it though :( Removed the rotted starboard side bulkhead, and made a template for a new one. Added a support for the life line entry and installed the slider rails for the main hatch. Also installed the main traveler. Does anyone know the thickness of the tiller where it bolts to the metal bracket? I meant to measure that and forgot, but am planning to make a new tiller this week. Sorry pics don't show all the work, but I got busy and forgot.

0409160816.jpg 0409160816a.jpg 0409160816b.jpg 0409160816c.jpg 0409160817.jpg 0409160817b.jpg 0409160817a.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2016
Oday 27 Milton, FL
I think we may have some rot or delamination on the same bulkhead but think I can repair without making a new bulkhead.
I noticed in the picture showing the port side inside the cabin you have an area below the windows--whenever you get a chance could take a picture of inside the cabin on the port side--apparently the previous owner removed the wood (rotted maybe?) although we did find the lattice rail and could not figure where it was supposed to go. Also we will have to replace the wood on top of the storage area above the galley sink

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
I went through my videos and captured a couple of images of the port side. They aren't very good, but maybe they'll help?
Port Side Interior1.png Port Interior2.png Port Interior 3.png Port Interior4.png

Last edited:

Pyth75

May 20, 2014
O'Day 27 port hope
Hi Folks,
I purchased a '75 O'Day 27 3 years ago. It was in rough shape and I have been working away it it. I am new to the forum and would appreciate any help I can get. I have been posing on YouTube for a while now - perhaps the videos might help others.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxsJGhTEAkJjBSyP0X-uaTQ
Does anyone know if you can get replacement windows for the saloon?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Check with Rudy at D R Marine. He has many replacememt parts for Odays
Given that, you can fabricate the parts yourself.

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
Nice videos Pyth75. I've thought about doing a channel myself. What equipment are you using to record/edit you stuff? Sorry I'm no help on your window problem.

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
Also an update to a few posts ago, I found the jib tracks for my boat! They were just hiding. One less thing I'll need to buy :)

Pyth75

May 20, 2014
O'Day 27 port hope
I am recording on an Olympus Tough. I am uploading it raw without editing. keep your videos coming too as we have the same boat.

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
I'm curious. Do you all have the same interior layout as mine, or the other one? Which do you prefer?

Apr 5, 2016
Oday 27 Milton, FL
We have the same layout as your boat--I like the galley location. After 1975 I believe they moved the galley aft next to the companionway entrance steps. I am getting kind of anxious to get back down to the boat. This week Going to make new companionway hatch boards--there are six 1/2 inch thick plastic hatch boards right now-they just sit on top of each other and leak pretty bad when it rains--have the hatch and cabin top covered with plastic tarp right now until I can get back down there the 23rd of this month. The swim ladder on our boat is broken where there were hinges for the bottom part of the ladder--not a priority item but on the lookout for a replacement (new ladder on Marine Depot (http://www.marinedepotdirect.com/)for $149.99 with free shipping. Fortunately we have picked up some other boat items over the years when we found a good deal--after Hurrican Katrina found an almost new Origo 2 burner stove with teak top and a Magma Grill that were removed from a boat prior to the storm. Katrina destroyed and sank that boat, along with many others (that was a bad, bad hurricane)

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
Nice score on the stove! Too bad for the other boat though.

Speaking of leaks... My windows leak between the cabin liner and the inner window frame. The thing is, last weekend the boat was dry inside and it had been nice weather all week. After working on the boat (it rocking etc...) there were drips under the windows. Are the sides of the cabin top cored, and could they hold water? Otherwise I'm guessing they are leakng from the outside and the frames are holding water.

Apr 5, 2016
Oday 27 Milton, FL
not sure about the window leaks--there are a couple of windows on our boat where it looks like outside they have applied either silicone or something like 3M 4200--I am thinking about cleaning all that off and maybe take a window out just to see if there is some type gasket--right now it is just a guessing game--I let you know when we figure it out

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
Prepping for my trip to the boat this weekend. I'm bringing the outboard to try and sort out my outboard mount and controls. Hopefully I can figure out the windows too. The new bulkhead is cut out, but not prepped/stained for install yet, so maybe next week on that one. Another thing I need to do is make a template for a new tiller, mine was previously stolen (according to the PO). Anyone have measurements/drawings for the tiller?

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
Thanks for that link! Having that info should help a lot. Attached the boom tonight and played with the running rigging. It all needs to be replaced. There are some water drips inside still, so I'm going leak hunting tomorrow. Sleeping on the boat tonight.

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
I think I found the cause of my leaks. Had a great day on the boat. Got the heater and solar panel mounted. Mounted the boom and straightened out the running rigging in preparation for replacement. Made some friends and spent several hours hanging out and talking. I think I have what I need to fix the outboard mount and build a tiller. Yay! Hope everyone's weekend was great like mine