Oday 19 Rudder

Jun 29, 2023
O'day O' day 19 Grand Traverse Bay
I am restoring the tiller handle and rudder for my Oday 19 that I recently purchased and ran into a lot of questions. This is my first boat with any type of bottom paint.

I found what looks like a cork plug in the rudder that was falling apart. Where would I find a replacement for this?

I want to repaint the rudder but I am not sure if can just apply another coat of paint or if I need to sand it down. Also what paint would be best for this type of application.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Do you keep the boat in the water or dry sail/trailer it?

If the boat is not kept in the water, then you don't need anti-fouling paint, aka bottom paint.

If this was a freshwater boat kept in the water by the prior owner, the paint is likely VC-17. VC 17 will be very smooth and slick, it will dissolve in acetone and may get a copper color when the acetone dissolves the paint. VC-17 is a teflon like film with a high powdered copper content.

Not sure about the hole. It looks like there is a bronze bushing in the hole. It might have been for a tip up rudder.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
If you will be applying new anti-foulant paint (if boat will be kept in water all the time, not trailered) you really need to remove all the old paint if you do not know what type of paint that is, not all paints are compatable and if you were to just sand the old coating and apply new, the new paint may not stick or it may actually cause the old paint to flake off. Best to start from bare surface.
Now, if it were my boat, I wouldn't bother with bottom paint on the rudder, I'd just remove the rudder while moored and stow it in the cabin. That saves having to paint it and eliminates the wear and tear on the rudder, fittings and tiller. Remove the bottom paint and apply a few coats of a good marine enamel or maybe better, Rustoleum Enamel in white or off-white.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Is that a piece of material bolted to the top half of the rudder? This looks like it's been heavily modified. If I were to take a guess, that hole is where the gudgeons originally bolted to (if the rudder doesn't tilt up)