Oceanis 352 Holding Tank

Mar 9, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 352 Port Moody, B.C.
Hi! First post!
I have a 1997 Oceanis 352, and the previous owner fitted it with a 10 gal holding tank under the aft bunk (starboard side). For a family of 5, that size of tank is just not enough.
I'm not sure where else to put a larger tank, except maybe the cockpit locker port side. Lots of room in there, but I worry that its a long distance from the head. Are there any issues pumping that far? I haven't seen anything in the toilet manual that limits distances.
What have others done? What size tank should I be putting in, if I can find somewhere to put it?

thanks!
Dan

CptnRn

Nov 29, 2015
Beneteau 311 Austin
Looking at a few new yachts for comparison.
I could not find the spec's on a new Beneteau 35.
Catalina 355 holding tank is 27 gallons.
Hunter 33 = 15 gallons
Hunter 37 = 25 gallons
Jeanneau Sun Oddyssey 38 = 21 gallons

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I can think of several places for a decent sized tank... Where is the head located in the boat--forward just behind the v-berth or at the aft end of the cabin? You don't have to limit yourself to the half dozen "off-the-shelf" rectangular tanks in the marine catalogs. Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog makes TOP quality water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and has more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular (which means you might be able to fit a larger one in the same space), and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. They've supplied tanks to most of the better boatbuilders for more than 2 years and are great to work with.

If you'd like to brainstorm one-on-one with me, send me a PM and we'll arrange a time to talk.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
there seems to be a nice spot under the salon settee, not too far as well.
I'd stick to a close location for the tank, you don't want a sewage pipe to bust and leak far from the head

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
This is the layout: http://newimages.yachtworld.com/res...4327_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=924&h=693&t=1403303747000

Are there limits to the hose distance between toilet and tank ?
Yes, there are. 6' is about as far as bowl contents can move in the amount of time anyone is likely to spend pumping a manual toilet or leave the finger on the flush button a basic electric macerating toilet. There are workarounds that can provide enough help from gravity to get the flush all the way (leaving waste sitting in hoses leads to stinky hoses!)...the higher end all-china "thrones" have pumps that will move bowl contents considerably further.

I can see a couple of places that might work...

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
On mine it is a 15 Gallon Holding tank and it is located as shown on the attached PDF. This is a factory install.

Attachments

Mar 9, 2016
Joker460 - yes, that would be the best location, but the previous owners installed a secondary diesel tank there for the Hurricane heater. There is room in there for a bladder tank, but it would block access to the thru-hull fittings - unless I built a platform for the tank to sit on. Then i'd also have to relocate the battery charger that's in there too.
Dan

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The B parts site says 15 gallons, price 115$. Not much capacity for a 352, but other owners will probably have something to say.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Joker460 - yes, that would be the best location, but the previous owners installed a secondary diesel tank there for the Hurricane heater.
I've got to wonder why the PO installed a separate fuel tank for the Hurricane heater unless he stayed in the Arctic as a live aboard .

Looking at my Espar heater for a comparison, I rarely go above low heat once the boat interior is warm and we're out late in some pretty cold and wet weather. I burn a little over 0.11 l/hr. Your boat has a little extra volume so you might burn 0.20 l/hr. as a worst case.

Espar.jpg

I see that Hurricane Heaters (both space and hot water) have no problem with taking fuel from the main tank.

Hurricane Heater.JPG

Given this information, I would consider removing the heater tank (which is wasting space) and using that space to install your extra holding tank.

Mar 9, 2016
Thanks Ralph - great info. Truth is we hardly ever run that heater as most of our sailing is during the summer, so that may be the best solution.

Mar 9, 2016
So, I'm almost finished the installation. Just some woodwork to go.
In the end, I took the 2nd fuel tank out, re-arranged some things. Cut some big holes...
But now we have a nice 24 gallon holding tank! But man, that was alot of work!

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
That looks good. Better than the original 15 gal . I'd like to see how you cover up the hole. My access hole allows just my shoulders through and then the wife calls 911.