Oceanis 34 or 37 Platinum Edition

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
I spent a night on a 37 last year and I remember a few things that stood out: 1) The salon table is large and is pretty snug even to sit behind. 2) Somehow, the stbd side shelf caught you in the upper back when sitting on that side of the salon. 3) The galley is surprisingly small, with very little stowage! 4) The fan in the battery charger in the forward part of the aft cabin is quite noisy.
Thanks ARF145.
Treva is tiny and I'm on a diet. LOL. Tables can be modified but as I wrote earlier I like working with charts so I tend to lean towards larger tables for large charts. As for noise; I was an artillery forward observer in Vietnam and later an engineer working in manufacturing plants so my internal crickets tend to drown out background noise for me and I fall asleep thinking I'm in the deep woods. LOL Actually not bad if that is all you could find wrong. How was the handling etc. We lived in a small travel trailer once for 8 months. Now that was small and tight.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I also have the crickets to keep me company, so I know what you're talking about there!

The 37 was my friend's new boat, and we went out daysailing 6 or 7 times iin varying conditions. It handled wonderfully--a great sailer, I think. Responsive and fast. Felt quicker than my 331. Nitpicks? I found that the cockpit table got in the way while sailing sometimes.

Jimk

Jun 30, 2010
Benateau Oceanis 400 New Bern
For your intended purposes bigger is better; go for the 37 with a shoal keel.

I have an Oceanis 400 with a shoal keel that has seen almost 20 years of service along the east and gulf coasts. The shoal draft means I can safely navigate and moor in many more locations than a hull with a standard keel. The rudder is well protected by the keel.

Make sure the depth sounder is located forward of the keel, is properly calibrated and has an alarm depth that is set to give you some reaction time.

Oct 13, 2013
Thanks arf145 and JimK.
Its amazing on how realistic those cricket sounds are. LOL
Jim, That was interesting about the cockpit table. I'd been musing about it vs. the fold down stock version. I was wondering if the trade off was worth it for lounging and guests vs sailing conditions. It just dawned on me that I hope to be doing way more sailing than entertaining. Bene is supplying the depth sounder so I'll check with them. I may install a forward looking sonar someday to warn of flotsam and etc. also.
This has been a great thread for me. Appreciate all the returns.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I also have a 343. Short on storage even for coastal stuff. Considering your plans, I would definitely opt for the 37. I have a 4'9" keel that is good for the Gulf Coast. Might want to consider the shoal keel if you intend on doing a lot of coastal. I know that you are fixed on new; however, you could likely get a late model 423 for about what you are going to pay for the new 37.

Oct 13, 2013
Hey Big Easy,
It's never over till the fat lady sings.
Over 37 is getting too big for me not to mention the extra costs like slip fees, maintenance etc.
Update: House is officially on market, budgets checked and double checked, boat mortgage pre-applications in progress, stress levels rising. LOL We're down to simple math. Net proceeds from house determines boat size. In any case we will be like pigs in swill. Hey if everybody buys only used boats the manufacturers will go belly up and we'll be stuck with older and older boats. Much like automobiles in Cuba. When I was first married for the first few years I had to survive with old cars and repair them myself. Back then I swore I would not buy used again. I'm at that season in my life where I want to enjoy life and not be stuck at a slip or on the hard toiling on a an old hole in the water. Sipping Margaritas and listening to Jimmy Buffet or Pink Floyd is more my style. I should have a window before major repairs begin and I may be dead by then.
Anyway I'll keep everyone up on progress. I've got all the list prices down to the penny and ready to enter in negotiations as soon as we're ready. If anyone has any ideas on reasonable Dealer Discounts feel free to comment. I will appreciate them. It may make the difference in going to the larger model.
Keep them coming.

Nov 24, 2012
Hey Big Easy, It's never over till the fat lady sings. Over 37 is getting too big for me not to mention the extra costs like slip fees, maintenance etc. Update: House is officially on market, budgets checked and double checked, boat mortgage pre-applications in progress, stress levels rising. LOL We're down to simple math. Net proceeds from house determines boat size. In any case we will be like pigs in swill. Hey if everybody buys only used boats the manufacturers will go belly up and we'll be stuck with older and older boats. Much like automobiles in Cuba. When I was first married for the first few years I had to survive with old cars and repair them myself. Back then I swore I would not buy used again. I'm at that season in my life where I want to enjoy life and not be stuck at a slip or on the hard toiling on a an old hole in the water. Sipping Margaritas and listening to Jimmy Buffet or Pink Floyd is more my style. I should have a window before major repairs begin and I may be dead by then. Anyway I'll keep everyone up on progress. I've got all the list prices down to the penny and ready to enter in negotiations as soon as we're ready. If anyone has any ideas on reasonable Dealer Discounts feel free to comment. I will appreciate them. It may make the difference in going to the larger model. Keep them coming.
I always found the best deals at the major boat shows like Annapolis. In addition to boat discounts they also gave away free bees like MFD's, instruments etc. FYI I bought my last four boats new for the same reason - I don't want projects

Oct 13, 2013
All right! Someone who agrees with me.
Unfortunately today the show deals are pretty much a thing of the past. If Dealer today gives you a price at a show and then a great discount; more than likely they have jacked up the list price to do it. That's from Horse's mouth. Today manufacturers also play their inventories close to the vest so incentives to dealers at various times is becoming more frequent. I also don't feel a dealer should have to put incentives into play for us. That's between them and the manufacturer. It comes down to what they are willing to do to secure a deal. My Dealer has already stated there will be a dealer discount. He just can't announce it till contract because in fact until I know if it will be ordered or a stock boat I wouldn't expect the same discount to order verses trying to move inventory.
so my friends: What percent discount do you feel is reasonable?

Oct 3, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Anacortes
I recently purchased a new Oceanis 34 from the factory. The boat has arrived in Seattle and the dealer is finishing the commissioning process. We spent last weekend on the boat checking out all the systems before we take final delivery. It is a beautiful boat inside and out, and sails well. We chose the 34 over the 37 because of the additional cost of the boat and additional cost of moorage for the 37. The incremental size difference was difficult to justify the much higher cost mainly in moorage in our situation. I have similar attitudes about new versus used boats as you have expressed. I am still working full time and would rather spend my precious spare time sailing rather than fixing. I enjoy fixing and projects, but don't have the time for it right now in my current life phase. Maybe when the brand new boat starts to breakdown in 5 years I will be retired.

B

Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
In any negotiation you need to have alternatives, or the appearance of alternatives to have leverage. You typically only have one dealer, so they need to think you are seriously considering another comparable manufacturer, or getting nothing, etc. Different models from the same dealer incents them to get you what is more advantageous to them. Of course a great dealer wants a long term relationship and satisfied customers and that may offset these natural biases. We negotiated the price down from the prior boat show flyer, when things were really slow in their office, for a fully loaded boat that was yet to be built. I think we got really lucky, but I am sure many factors play into that. I would shoot for a 10% discount and see what happens. Visit your dealer, then visit them again in 3 months, what boats are still there? One boat sitting at the docks for a year starts getting so expensive that they pay the cost to move it somewhere else if there is a buyer. A friend got a shallow draft boat from the east coast that way (all through the dealer, they do inventory swapping in the back end). Btw, if you truly have no alternatives, expect to pay a bit more and be happy about it. You may not remember what the price was after the second margarita. ;-)

Oct 13, 2013
That was an interesting comment about choosing a 34 over the 37. I will probably rent a 40 ft. slip either way because I will have an inflatable on davits. For me it comes down to money as I've said earlier. We will be Liveaboards and take our home with us wherever we sail. There are some advantages to size. Since you live in Seattle you are not unfamiliar with the weather and you must feel comfortable about sailing the 34 in it. I'm getting Cruiser Insurance quotes now to check that cost. We will be like pigs in swill no matter the 34 or 37. The 34 has a split rating. A for deep keel and B for shoal keel. That lingers in my mind. The 37 has an A rating for both. I believe the 37 will be more forgiving in a blow than the 34 but it doesn't mean I wouldn't place the 34 in the same situation if that is what we wind up with. Then there is the "My boat is bigger than your boat" Syndrome. LOL
The dealer and I have become friends. We are a lot alike. My past adventures and disabilities and his past and adventures and disabilities is a bond. We're like two birds of a feather. I've also dealt with venders for 28 years of handling major engineering projects and have developed my way of working with them. Right now friendship means more than a few Bucks' in my pocket. I just want to get a feel about discounts when going over my spreadsheets. Gives me a look at what I may wind up parting with and size of mortgage I will get.

Oct 13, 2013
UPDATE: House is emptying out. Got a deal from a guy to buy up everything that isn't going with me. Giving all our clothes away and only keeping jeans and tropical shirts. LOL
Going for the 37 with everything on the options list but a wood cockpit floor. Come on house buyer. It's your turn. Brand new 37 Platinum sitting at the dealer waiting for me. He just got it. Has shoal keel and even an electric port halyard winch.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
UPDATE: House is emptying out. Got a deal from a guy to buy up everything that isn't going with me. Giving all our clothes away and only keeping jeans and tropical shirts. LOL
Going for the 37 with everything on the options list but a wood cockpit floor. Come on house buyer. It's your turn. Brand new 37 Platinum sitting at the dealer waiting for me. He just got it. Has shoal keel and even an electric port halyard winch.
We are all jealous!
Enjoy your next step in life...it goes all too quickly.

Oct 13, 2013
Whoa. Thanks for the well wishes. Still waiting on a buyer for the house but we can be out in about 2 weeks or less if there is a cash deal.
The stock 37 is a platinum edition but it does not have some features that I want. Decision is to have it retro fitted aftermarket or order one exactly to my list. However than I will have to wait with no place to live. LOL
I think I'm gonna have to suggest to my dealer that I should order his stock boats. I've caught him a couple times with omissions on his order list. The latest is the new Oceanis 38 which has probably the most complex form I've ever seen. It would confuse anyone. He ordered one pretty much the same as I would have but when I saw his sheet I pointed out some errors that he corrected in time. He has an office staff and the one that ordered it screwed up. LOL. I'd order his boats for free just for the fun of doing it. LOL.
I don't want to jump the chute before I close on the house so I don't put myself in a possible situation so I have to be patient.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Whatever is on the boat when you make the purchase is usually covered by the deal for warrenty/service. Add it later, and the bill is yours to pay.

Oct 13, 2013
Today; a day before my 68th Birthday, I signed the purchase agreement for a new Oceanis 37 Platinum Edition, shoal keel with every bell and whistle I can get except bow thruster. Wire transfer down payment Monday morning; Need to get the order to Beneteau before the Miami Boat Show gets off the ground.
Before the launching she will be self contained and ready for anything that may come our way. Should come in first part of June so I'll be at the Beneteau Rendezvous at Kemah in August to throw a party on her. After that the name she bears will tell it all. "Sail'n Somewhere" be her name.
House is almost empty. Jeep is sold. We will have the clothes on our back and a tool chest give or take a few cooking items. Never had so few guns in my life. LOL
C'mon house buyer. We're ready for ya.
Not bad for an old Jarhead, Eh?
By the way I donated my locks to Locks of love and cut my beard short. Don't like it blowing in my face while at the helm.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Congratulations Pilgrim and welcome to the club. I've had a whole 18 months of ownership experience with the 37. We love the boat and will be happy to share thoughts when questions come up.