Oceanis 34 or 37 Platinum Edition

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
Yes the rudder will be proportional to some extent. Yes the keel is flat at the bottom of a shoal keel boat. Yes I'm sticking with the standard keel. LOL (no pun intended).
Its harder to rock a boat off a grounding and in mud or sand the flat surface can shovel into the bottom like an anchor when trying to back off. The shorter wider rudder will loose more control in some seas vs. the std. rudder. Yes I live in Texas and a lot of the coastal area and bays tends to be thin. I'm not into Coastal anymore. When I had my Mako it was 20-30 miles out in the blue water to fish. I did have a hydraulic lift for the Laguna Madre (I lived in South TX. at the time) for redfish and specks.
That season of my life is over. My probable last season I hope to sail on longer passages where the added stiffness and control is a plus and less congestion like found along the coasts. Did I also say I probably will race from time to time.
Like I may have mentioned earlier; I would wind up dragging a shoal keel as much if not more than a std. keel. only in shallower water.
Up to date charts and a good depth finder are critical and if you have the coins, a forward seeking sonar is another plus.
Just my 2 cents. Did I also mention I'm a stubborn German? LOL

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Just an aside regarding gear. My friend added a second furler with a drifter on it and absolutely loves it. This is for his second new boat in five years (Jeanneau 42 DS up from a 39 DS) and this was his only major gear change besides the joystick drive for docking). He says he uses it so much more in winds up to 20 knots. May be worth considering as an upgrade if you already plan to buy an asymmetrical. I love the design of the 34 and 37. Beautiful boats. If I win the lottery I would order a 34 for sure (wife isn't a sailor).

Oct 13, 2013
Just an aside regarding gear. My friend added a second furler with a drifter on it and absolutely loves it. This is for his second new boat in five years (Jeanneau 42 DS up from a 39 DS) and this was his only major gear change besides the joystick drive for docking). He says he uses it so much more in winds up to 20 knots. May be worth considering as an upgrade if you already plan to buy an asymmetrical. I love the design of the 34 and 37. Beautiful boats. If I win the lottery I would order a 34 for sure (wife isn't a sailor).
Thanks for the tip BobM.
The Platinum Edition comes with the optional Gennekar and gear and also a Spinnaker w/sock. For heavy seas I plan on using the ATN Gale sail which hanks on around the RF Genoa. The reason for the ATN is that besides a storm sail it also protects the Genoa from High winds that may try to unravel the furled sail. I will purchase a whisker pole to use with all three sails (Genoa, Gennaker, Spinnaker) when I can.
Just an additional note. Another reason for the Std. keel as others agree, stiffness, Pointing etc. There is also the pucker factor. If you get caught in a real blow and high seas the added depth of keel and rudder will provide an extra margin of control over a shoal draft keel and rudder.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
38?

Just a thought...what do you think about the brand new 38? It is highly configurable, which may be an advantage. Of course it's very existence may mean you can get a better deal on a 37. Sister company Jeanneau just released a new 35, suggesting that a new Beneteau 35 along the lines of the 38 can't be too far behind it.

zoya

Apr 6, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Annapolis
The all Oceanis line is being revamped so yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 31 & 34 turn into a 32 & 35 with twin-helm, hard chines and a foldout transom.

Oct 13, 2013
Okay.
Reason for the 34 or 37 has a lot to do with money. My choice of a 37 with a 34 as fallback pending sale of house and boat mortgage interest rate at the time.
I looked hard at the 38. I want over the price list again and again. The cheapest form was to buy as a weekender with appropriate packs. Since I need the storage the aft compartment was kept bare and I mean bare. Even with that the 38 runs $16,000 higher than the 37 and $37,000 higher than the 34. That is TT&L list price no dealer discount. The platinum Edition 34 and 37 also offers additional equip like the Gennaker and gear and spinnaker that are not figured into the 38 pricing.
Beneteau is stopping production of both 34 and 37 this year. The 34 perhaps as early as Feb. Mar. and the 37 in Aug, They had planned on bringing out the new 35 this year but have decided to wait till next year to catch up on the initial demand for 38s. For me there is no comparison as long as the 34 and 37 are available to order. If the house fails to sell soon enough I may have to wait for the 35 or perhaps begin shopping again. Everything hinges on the house. I really like the 38 and the open concept but can't justify the cost difference at this time. Because of its popularity I doubt there will be any dealer incentives in the near future.

Oct 5, 2013
Beneteau 343 Portland
A quick question. Did you look at 2-4 year old boats where the depreciation has chopped several dollars off the price?

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Just a thought...what do you think about the brand new 38? It is highly configurable, which may be an advantage. Of course it's very existence may mean you can get a better deal on a 37. Sister company Jeanneau just released a new 35, suggesting that a new Beneteau 35 along the lines of the 38 can't be too far behind it.

BobM,

Have you been on the 38? We did at the Annapolis Boat Show and were underwhelmed. It also looks rather 'clunky' to me from the outside.

Oct 13, 2013
No. I haven't been on the 38. I can see why someone would be underwhelmed by it. Not getting the coveted sailboat of the year award kind of confirms that. I can't justify the extra $$$ for it.
What I did like about it was the openness. I would not get the forward bulkhead or aft 2 cabin bulkhead. In fact, the aft cabin I priced was just an open area. No extra lights or opening portholes, padded hull liner etc. and still it was way more $$$. I liked the 2 cabin head arrangement with a separate shower compartment. Dual helm is nice but don't like the stern. The chincy helm seats are optional but without them your a$$ hangs out in the open or you have to sit with your body twisted. Mine don't bend that way as well anymore. LOL
I looked up Jeanneau and found the 379 and 349. I like the sail handling layout but the interior looks cheap. I don't like all the wood in the head especially in the shower area and only a top loading frig. Other boats that could be competitive don't have adequate dealerships like Bavaria, Hanse and Dehler.
Last and important. I can't ask for a better dealer (Beneteau) in Clear Lake. Vince at Sea Lake Yachts has been great.

MI248

Sep 17, 2013
Beneteau 40 CHS
Okay.
... That is TT&L list price no dealer discount. The platinum Edition 34 and 37 also offers additional equip like the Gennaker and gear and spinnaker that are not figured into the 38 pricing.
Pilgrimtex, Curious...where are you getting the list price from?

Oct 13, 2013
A quick question. Did you look at 2-4 year old boats where the depreciation has chopped several dollars off the price?
I've been down this road before. There was a now 2 year old 37 for sale in BRISTOL condition that I would have bought. To understand why I tend to new, you would have to know me. Why I only buy/build new homes and vehicles. When younger starting out I could only afford clunker cars and trying to keep them running got me real tired of that lifestyle real quick. I also plan to keep the boat I get till I die so worrying about investment vs resale doesn't bother me.
To me new means a boat set up exactly to my specs. I get that much more time before starting the replacement part/troubleshooting stage. I can only blame myself if something fails (outside of warrantee). I get all the manuals/parts lists. LOL. I don't have to scrape off the old boat name to put the new name on her. I get to place my idea of the best bottom coat on a new hull. ETC.

Oct 13, 2013
Pilgrimtex, Curious...where are you getting the list price from?
I get my list price inventory/options lists because I ask for them. I have them on other brands as well. I look at it this way. If a dealer is unwilling to give a list to you: They are not the kind of dealer I want to have during the sale and later on. The manufacturers have a suggested list price schedule. What does the dealer want to hide by not giving you one? With an inventory price list you can pick out the packages and options that best suit you and then you can sit down with the dealer and work out an offer. Without it; How can you determine if the dealer is playing fair. If they don't want to give you one then I feel they are only interested in profit and not a relationship that should last for years. They also need to tell you the freight/commissioning costs up front along with the list.
The list won't have dealer incentives that pop up from time to time. That's up to the dealer to be up front with you and I don't begrudge them getting a little extra because you chose to purchase at that time. I also don't begrudge a dealer making a fair share margin on a sale. Building a friendly relationship that will last is more important than a dollar or two on the price. I have even been known to give back money if I feel they are cutting themselves short to get a sale as long as I have accurate information available to me. The relationship is the important part. It worked for me throughout my career as an engineer designing and having built million dollar plus machines for manufacturing.

zoya

Apr 6, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Annapolis
I get my list price inventory/options lists because I ask for them. ....
That is one thing I found frustrating when shopping for my first boat, some dealers cook the manufacturer price list to their liking and make things very murky especially on the options end. But most provided me with the manufacturer official price list on request, much better to start from this.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
No I haven't been on board the 34, 37 or 38 to my recollection. It is just my experience that in a situation where privacy is not necessary an open plan is preferable. We were looking at Newport 30s with a fixed dinette and inyhought all the extra furnishings were grand and ended up with a S2 with a dining table I haven't set up in five years. Point is that if you are buying a boat where the purpose 99% of the time is for two people to be comfortable you really only need privacy in the head. The 38 allows you the flexibility to have your privacy when you want it ad to enjoy the space when you don't. I agree that the lines if the 34 and 37 appeal to me. I am also a little undecided on gray topsides.

BobM

Oct 13, 2013
No I haven't been on board the 34, 37 or 38 to my recollection. It is just my experience that in a situation where privacy is not necessary an open plan is preferable. We were looking at Newport 30s with a fixed dinette and inyhought all the extra furnishings were grand and ended up with a S2 with a dining table I haven't set up in five years. Point is that if you are buying a boat where the purpose 99% of the time is for two people to be comfortable you really only need privacy in the head. The 38 allows you the flexibility to have your privacy when you want it ad to enjoy the space when you don't. I agree that the lines if the 34 and 37 appeal to me. I am also a little undecided on gray topsides.

BobM
Bob,
I agree 100% with what you say. We like the openness of the 38 and I did not add the aft compartment pac which included the bulkhead and door behind the galley for access. I will just be using it for storage. That is also why we chose to price the weekender version with the necessary pacs and options. to make it livable for 2 people (No bulkhead for the forward compartment). A curtain would suffice in case we have guests. I like the dual helms and the new hull as well. My dilemma is that the Platinum edition of the 37 gives me so much more such as Gennaker and gear and a spinnaker with sleeve as well as electronics and etc that saves me Approx. $19,000 over separately ordered options. The Platinum Edition list price for the 37 is still $16,000 below the 38 List Price with less options.
That's hard to justify. The hulls are basically the same dimensions.
If the house does not sell in time I will have to go with the 38. If it does sell; the net income achieved will determine the boat which may include the 38. Another down side according to the dealer is that the delivery on the new 38 may be into next year since all the Mfg slots are about full. The 34 or 37 would be 2-3 months. Also the new 35 debut has been delayed a year to make room for 38 orders. The new Jeanneau 349 that just debuted is a good indicator of what the new 35 will look like except for the interior layout. I priced Bene, Jeanneau, Marlow, Catalina etc. Beneteau; especially the platinum editions give the best bang for the buck. Bar None.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I totally agree with your thinking. I was just answering a question from another poster. I have just a few more thoughts for you.

Question - if they are still punching out new 37s have you considered asking for the following mods: an open forward bulkhead like the 38 and perhaps a smaller table.

Given that the mast isn't supported by the bulkhead and the similarity between the 37 and 38 they should be comfortable with the bulkhead mod.

The table intrudes into the passage forward quite a bit and I can see the reason my friend changed his to a smaller one. He did this even though the finish doesn't quite match. He and his girlfriend lived aboard his 39 for years and made this mod in their new 45. It may be cheaper to hire z local cabinetmaker to cut it down at s later date if you desire.

Alternately some boats have a large window cut into the solid side if the bulkhead to open things up.

I'd get Beneteaus buy in to any bulkhead changes from a warranty perspective.

Seems like you are otherwise decided .

Bob

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My take home is that, as you have discovered, if you are having a 37 built there is some leeway to make changes... such as an open aft cabin for storage...and that it couldn't hurt to ask for the open bulkhead mod. I'd do it if I ordered a 34. Price of new boats keeps creeping up though, and I just can't justify a 120k boat unless I win the lottery or lose the divorce.

Oct 13, 2013
BobM,
Thanks for the thoughts. I will look into possibilities like you say order time. I'm a little leery however of removing whole bulkheads even if the mast is supported to the keel. The 38 actually retains a type of bulkhead in the forward section much like a window frame that would give some sectional stability to the boat. The aft bulkhead in the 38 is not much larger than the door. I'd say it's more like a door frame so not having that shouldn't effect anything. I would also think that anything out of the standard configuration would add cost since they make the components in lots of so many to minimize setup costs. I will pursue it and see what happens however.

Oct 13, 2013
BobM,
Thanks for the thoughts. I will look into possibilities like you say order time. I'm a little leery however of removing whole bulkheads even if the mast is supported to the keel. The 38 actually retains a type of bulkhead in the forward section much like a window frame that would give some sectional stability to the boat. The aft bulkhead in the 38 is not much larger than the door. I'd say it's more like a door frame so not having that shouldn't effect anything. I would also think that anything out of the standard configuration would add cost since they make the components in lots of so many to minimize setup costs. I will pursue it and see what happens however.
I forgot to include that I will remove the doors to the compartments except for the head and remove the aft mattresses and store them on the hard. I'll use spring rods and curtains if we get guests. I way try to cut a window type opening from the aft compartment into the storage locker that would be the 3rd berth compartment. I would now have a place to build into a workshop, pantry and storage room. I like working with paper charts and today's nav stations aren't worth much more than a place for a laptop. The std table with leaves extended is a good place to spread out a chart and do some plotting.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I spent a night on a 37 last year and I remember a few things that stood out: 1) The salon table is large and is pretty snug even to sit behind. 2) Somehow, the stbd side shelf caught you in the upper back when sitting on that side of the salon. 3) The galley is surprisingly small, with very little stowage! 4) The fan in the battery charger in the forward part of the aft cabin is quite noisy.