Non-swimmers and life jackets! How to choose one?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hot and active use in cold temps is good. Need the baby powder around the rubber neck gasket like any scuba suit. It is dry and with the under layers warm.

If the day time temps get to the 60's then it is less comfortable.

Deck work will get you sweating. Cold water splashes as on a racing dinghy would make it workable. On my boat I need to go into the cabin and vent the suit.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Thank you Clay. Big Easy in in Louisiana.

I looked into the Mustang suit. but elected to go with an OceanRodeo Dry suit. Allows me better movement about the deck. I wear insulating fleece/wool layers beneath the suit. This winter I am going in for a test. Will report back results.

I may be looking for a suit you suggest. After all if it works in the waters of Superior it will work anywhere I may sail.
That's an amazing looking suit! Price is also not bad at all compared to suits I've been looking at for a similar application. I'm very much looking for the report back. How long have you had it at this point?

dj

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The Oceanrodeo gear is nice stuff. The Ignite (kind of a new version of their Soul) has an adjustable neck seal. I’ve always struggled with the “choking” feeling from the neoprene neck seal that this sort of solves. A buddy who is crazy about kiteboarding has an Ignite with their fleece and loves it. Obviously he’s in the water a lot more than a sailor should be but if you want the peace of mind of a dry suit this is worth a look.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've
Yea that last point was more for us types!

PS - thx for the notice about OceanRodeo. That looks interesting. Have you used it yet? I would wonder about how hot/wet it gets in active use.
had an Ocean Rodeo for several years. I even spent 6 hours in 32F water in it for a Good Old Boat article.
Blog Post

I'll be digging it out tomorrow. I like it for kayaking and sailing in wet conditions below about 55F. Very warm, but you can adjust layers. In general, you wear less under it than with foulies. So far, it is durable. It breathes quite well, but if you are working hard in warmish weather, you'll cook. You really want to save it for cold conditions where you are going to get wet.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Not piling on, but I think the real cure is learning to swim, at least to tread water. That was always the first question I asked when a guest was planning to come aboard. Most immersions happen at the dock and most will not be wearing a life jacket. Who is going to jump in to fetch you?

Oct 28, 2019
Yamaha 1999 Near the Boat
Thats a terrible list.

First, I would NEVER recommend an inflating vest for a non-swimmer. They fail too often. And you can often end up underwater face down for a short time even when they do inflate. Get an inherently buoyant vest.

The cheapo orange horse collars are another non-starter. Too uncomfortable to be worn during active sports. And ugly.

A body conforming foam vest would be best. like this.

View attachment 171474
Thanks for recommending it!
I checked on google for a non-swimmer life jacket. Can you please do that too and tell whether the first site is good or not?
Is it reliable?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019
Yamaha 1999 Near the Boat
No, no, no...… throw that list away... it's useless. Sorry for the abrupt comment Matt, but this is a very important subject. Here's an article published by a valid source, West Marine, that will educate you on your options.

Within the article, you should highlight the paragraphs "Day Sailing" and "Offshore Sail". Those comments will re affirm Clay and Dave's recommendations.
Thank you so much for recommending the article. After reading people's comments on this thread I contacted the owner of the life jacket expert and he said that I am reading the wrong article. He told me that this is the link I should check - SPAM LINK REMOVED BY MODERATION TEAM
What do you think?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think he is trying to get you to buy something from his site. Get the info from the guys here, then buy your LJ from SBO. :) Oh... and I'll pile on... learn how to swim!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Matt... Good question well framed. Responses were supportive and clear specifically to your question.

You were looking for the "Best for a Non-Swimmer". And you got a great answer in the #3 response by a very knowledgeable Sail Boat Owner.

So why the push about the fellow with the Amazon linked website stating "he knows the 11 best life jackets" but not one is specifically identified for your needs... "The best for a Non-swimmer that wants to go out on a sail".

If you look on the SBO "HOME" page you can find our SBO store. There is a great "Non-Swimmer" Life jacket for a fair price and the purchase supports the website that is supporting you by answering your specific question. Click Here: Stohlquist WaterWare Edge Type III PFD

Hoping you get your life jacket and you go out sailing. You fall in love with the experience and come back here and share your reaction. Further, hope you do not have to fall in the water but if you do you are wearing your life jacket.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Oh well the conversation was good while it lasted. Good recommendations for a few capable vests. Happy to hear positive comments on the Mustang survival / floater jackets & coats. Ordered one a few days ago!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK guys... continue on with the discussion. However, the OP is gone. He is a spammer from India. I love doing research.
This is the PEFECT example of the reason why many boards make you reply a certain number of times to existing posts before you were allowed to create a new thread. It really cuts down on the spam, and the the useless questions by someone who shows up post a question and never comes back to read it.

But that of course would cut down on the overall traffic at the site, which appears to be the only real metric here anymore.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
, and the useless questions by someone who shows up post a question and never comes back to read
Now in this case it was not a useless question, at least for those of us following the thread. I learned a lot and will use this information for sure. Now, the OP? It's just irritating to have to put up with the crap...

dj

Nov 8, 2010
Now in this case it was not a useless question, at least for those of us following the thread. I learned a lot and will use this information for sure. Now, the OP? It's just irritating to have to put up with the crap...

dj
Agreed, that’s the totally ironic part! :)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
the useless questions by someone who shows up post a question and never comes back to read it.
I’m finding there are times now where I hesitate to contribute (or try to be helpful anyway) until I see the OP truly engage. Less frustrating.

Nov 8, 2010
I’m finding there are times now where I hesitate to contribute (or try to be helpful anyway) until I see the OP truly engage. Less frustrating.
Yep. Looking back I think that was the most (4 sentences) I've ever expended on a 1st time poster.