Non-swimmers and life jackets! How to choose one?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I found the info helpful, I was starting to look at non-inflating vest options. As a motorcycle rider I really like the specific gear recommendations, reminds of the full suits and gear I have spent a lot of money on over the years. In my single get off event the right gear paid for its themselves, as I was able to standup and slowly walk away with only needing to replace the gear and nothing part of my body.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
This is the PEFECT example of the reason why many boards make you reply a certain number of times to existing posts before you were allowed to create a new thread. It really cuts down on the spam, and the the useless questions by someone who shows up post a question and never comes back to read it.
That just puts the spam in replies instead of threads. I agree that it would probably cut down on useless threads but it also blocks people from posting a question, which may be why they came here to begin with.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Makes me think back on when we used to deploy with the USS Midway. Anytime we were on the flightdeck we wore inflatable life vests that carried a pair of CO2 cartridges. The big decision you had to make as you fell 50' was whether to pull the cord on the way down or wait until you hit the water. :eek:

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Makes me think back on when we used to deploy with the USS Midway. Anytime we were on the flightdeck we wore inflatable life vests that carried a pair of CO2 cartridges. The big decision you had to make as you fell 50' was whether to pull the cord on the way down or wait until you hit the water. :eek:
Ran it through an online “splat” calculator. For 180lb guy falling 50’ you would be going about 40mph when you hit :yikes: and have about 2 sec to make the decision. :pray:

That’s gonna leave a mark!!:p

850CF45A-3D0B-44D3-AA22-9EF606422901.jpeg

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
In boot camp in '69, we were taught to remove our bell bottoms, tie a knot in each leg, flip the whole thing over your head to trap air and, there you have it, a flotation device. Gives you something to do while you drown.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ran it through an online “splat” calculator. For 180lb guy falling 50’ you would be going about 40mph when you hit :yikes: and have about 2 sec to make the decision. :pray:

That’s gonna leave a mark!!:p

View attachment 171718

Hmmm... mass might effect the energy, but not so much the speed. #NewtonRules

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hmmm... mass might effect the energy, but not so much the speed. #NewtonRules
True. Terminal velocity in a vacuum etc. although a looonnnggg time since high school.
I found the calculator on a climbing website of all places to have something called a “splat” calculator, the disclaimer was clear that they didn’t factor in any external influences. I had to plug a mass value for the calculator to generate the energy value. That’s a lot of fig newtons though!;)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
And don't forget flapping your arms!
That doesn’t sound safe to me. ;) Wouldn’t all the flapping risk accidentally deploying the CO2 and increasing the likelyhood of decapitating yourself on impact with an inflated life jacket??:beer:

Reminds me of the line in Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid when the guy says something like - can’t swim the fall is gonna kill you.

Was that actually part of your training? I’m a bit gullible sometimes but have a few buddies in the military and some of the stories they tell makes me wonder?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
In boot camp in '69, we were taught to remove our bell bottoms, tie a knot in each leg, flip the whole thing over your head to trap air and, there you have it, a flotation device. Gives you something to do while you drown.
I would easily buy the removal of the pants as that would help with your natural buoyancy but the bell bottom diving bell has me thinking you are pulling our leg a little :p

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I would like to add a personal opinion. I strongly prefer a speed rated life jacket, as they are much stronger and more secure. They will have a zipper in the front, as well as redundant straps. I prefer this design as it stays put a little better and is not as prone to climb up on your body. Since they are speed rated, they must be able to withstand impact up to 50 mph. Often times the ones with straps have gaps on the sides. If you get thrown around the boat, or thrown off, and hit the boat on the way down, you are less likely to get bruised, as the padding stays put and wraps around your body. Yes, it is hotter on a hot day, but I tolerate that for the added protection.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I'd guess you should pull the cord on the way down, once you hit the water and break your neck you'll hope it floats you face up. You'd think somebody would have dropped a few crash test dummies off an aircraft carrier to find the right answer.
We used real baggy chino pants for WSI class, had to right an overturned canoe too, we don't do a lot of canoeing around here so seemed a strange "required" skill.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I would easily buy the removal of the pants as that would help with your natural buoyancy but the bell bottom diving bell has me thinking you are pulling our leg a little :p
Roland’s quote is true! Was taught at Naval Air boot camp in ‘71, to jump straight down down, feet first, with arms across chest, and palm under chin and covering nose to prevent water from flooding nasal cavity & mouth from a high jump (as in carrier deck). Also had to practice the bell bottom trouser flotation technique in a deep water pool.....it actually works. Didn’t practice jumping from carrier deck and that’s true!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Roland’s quote is true! Was taught at Naval Air boot camp in ‘71, to jump straight down down, feet first, with arms across chest, and palm under chin and covering nose to prevent water from flooding nasal cavity & mouth from a high jump (as in carrier deck). Also had to practice the bell bottom trouser flotation technique in a deep water pool.....it actually works. Didn’t practice jumping from carrier deck and that’s true!
@Roland5048
I stand corrected. In my poor attempt at humour I perhaps caused offence and.I apologize. I hold all military personnel in high regard.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The pants used as a floatation was taught to me in the 90s by the Army, and my son learned it at Aviation Challenge Camp in Huntsville too.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
[My attempt at humor didn't work either. Flapping birdlike arms isn't going to slow you down. A fall off the carrier is accidental and uncontrolled. Your entry position is going to be much less than ideal. I was around during 3 overboard accidents. During the MOB, the rescue chopper which is already in the air during flight ops will pluck them from the water. I personally never heard afterwards if any of them were injured. They were not in our unit. No one died and that was the important thing.
In the Marines we trained in a pool to take our pants off, tie the legs and inflate them too. We also had to swim laps in our boots with a simulated, weighted rifle around our necks. I think that was more for the DI's amusement!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I would like to add a personal opinion. I strongly prefer a speed rated life jacket, as they are much stronger and more secure. They will have a zipper in the front, as well as redundant straps. I prefer this design as it stays put a little better and is not as prone to climb up on your body. Since they are speed rated, they must be able to withstand impact up to 50 mph. Often times the ones with straps have gaps on the sides. If you get thrown around the boat, or thrown off, and hit the boat on the way down, you are less likely to get bruised, as the padding stays put and wraps around your body. Yes, it is hotter on a hot day, but I tolerate that for the added protection.
that’s interesting. Your last point is key, that day-to-day comfort often trumps absolute capability. You have to be willing and want to wear the thing for it to be effective. For me, I see the value when water skiing or doing high speed high-risk activities like SAR, but for day-to-day Sailing give me my Spinlock Deckvest any day. I often forget that it’s on except when I tilt my head back to look at sail trim and feel the comfortable roll cradling my head. as designed. The thing is really designed with sailors in mind.