Nominal Spar Wall Thickness

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I know it depends on a lot of variables to include spar height, but does anyone know the nominal wall thickness of an aluminum mast? The estimated height of my mast is 34'. I do not have any other dimensions but just trying to get a nominal wall thickness. My uneducated guess would be about 3/16".

Thoughts?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...............it depends on a lot of variables to include spar height, but does anyone know the nominal wall thickness of an aluminum mast?..............
You are correct mast thickness depends on many variables. For example, take a look at Rigrite's mast thickness dimension tables in the link below as you might be surprised at the thickness depending on mast type (e.g., traditional, mid-ocean racing class, high performance, cruising, in-mast furler), shape and outside dimensions.

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the links. I looked and could not find any info on wall thickness, but I guess I was not asking Google the right questions.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It really depends on the spot on your mast and the reason for wanting to know.
The base is much thicker bow side.
Jim...

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Brian, left click on Isomat Mast Sections and you will get the table below.

1589645437497.png

1589645549363.png

Feb 17, 2006
Well Jim, I plan on replacing the steaming light. It is about half way up the mast. There are multiple holes where it was moved or the screw broke and was never taken out.

So I am going to drill out the old screws and fill with aluminum putty. Going to also fill in all the other holes around that light. Didn't want to push too much putty in the hole because it might damage an internal halyard. I don't think it will but don't want to take a chance. I will knead the putty and flatten it out to about 3/16" and then push it in with even pressure. Then remove any excess on the outside.

That is why I was asking about the mast wall thickness. Yeah, I can measure it when I get up there, but just preparing mentally ahead of time.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My last point...
Stainless self tappers in an Aluminum mast will not set up galvanic corrosion, if they are sealed from water.

Aluminum putty is ok, but well beyond any potential corrosion.

You can use Anti-oxidation grease on the threads too.
Jim...