Next Gen Marine Genset

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Anyone have any experience with Next Gen gensets as to quality, reliability, ease of installation & maintenance, quiet operation, etc. I am considering installing 3.5KW genset to run my 16,000 btu air conditioner. Note that a Honda 2KW will not run my split system setup.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You've confirmed a 3.5 will? Might be worth going a bit bigger for a reserve if it does. I'd consider 2 2kw Honda's and hooking then together. Easier to store and you can use at least one for something else.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I can easily run a 16,000 btu Dometic a/c unit with a 3.5 kw Mastervolt generator. No experience with Next Gen.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Your Honda can probably run your ac if you install a soft start on the ac.

Greg

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
The newest model Honda is 2.2KW, it might be worth looking into.

The Next-Gen looks good on paper. I really like the idea of turning the engine at a lower RPM.

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
I have recently installed the 5.5 unit as replacement for my 8kw FP. I went with the sound box and it makes a big difference, for noise and takes up a much larger space. It was a tight squeeze, but fit in the space with no install problems. Compared to the FP it is a very simple unit with only one sensor. I only have about 10 hours on it so no long term data.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
That Next-Gen Marine Genset sure looks like an FP. I wonder if it is just a rebranded copy of what is obviously the worst genset anybody ever designed?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No, but our 1991 boat that we purchased in 2002 came equipped with an 8kw Onan Genset that has been a delightful machine. Three sensors will shut down the engine automatically; oil pressure, exhaust temp, coolant temp. Three cylinder marine grade Kubota diesel tractor engine drives the generator unit. Very handy during our many extended two month cruises in PNW waters.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks all.
Two Honda's would definitely be a more economical way to go, especially as I already have one.
That's probably the direction that I will go. $1000 for the second Honda vs approximately $7000 for the 3.5KW Next Gen (self installed).

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks all.
Two Honda's would definitely be a more economical way to go, especially as I already have one.
That's probably the direction that I will go. $1000 for the second Honda vs approximately $7000 for the 3.5KW Next Gen (self installed).
Hey, let me know where you'll be anchored so I'm not within ear shot of your dueling generators. lol.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Hey, let me know where you'll be anchored so I'm not within ear shot of your dueling generators. lol.
Those things are the most quiet genset you can find. Don't forget the cost of the harness to connect them. It's a little pricey but still cheaper.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Those things are the most quiet genset you can find. Don't forget the cost of the harness to connect them. It's a little pricey but still cheaper.
They may be quiet for a portable, but on a quiet tropical evening, even one makes a lot more noise than an installed diesel genset.
I guess its a matter of degrees. When some cruiser anchors within a hundred feet or so of my mooring and cranks up his Honda at dinner time, it certainly takes a lot of the pleasure out of a romantic dinner with my honey in the cockpit!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Capta,
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. With the frequency that I anchor and difference in latitude, I think you will be OK!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
That Next-Gen Marine Genset sure looks like an FP. I wonder if it is just a rebranded copy of what is obviously the worst genset anybody ever designed?
It is not. It runs at a lower RPM and uses a Kubota Diesel. I would rather have a northern lights but it is ok. Currently out of commision with only 108 hours. It starts and runs but no charge. It's my next project to look at the regulator.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
It is not. It runs at a lower RPM and uses a Kubota Diesel. I would rather have a northern lights but it is ok. Currently out of commision with only 108 hours. It starts and runs but no charge. It's my next project to look at the regulator.
I'm sorry, perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but it seems you are saying that you have a Next-Gen Marine Genset with only 108 hours on it and it's not functioning? That doesn't bode well for the units. I've heard of FP units that lasted longer than that!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I'm sorry, perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but it seems you are saying that you have a Next-Gen Marine Genset with only 108 hours on it and it's not functioning? That doesn't bode well for the units. I've heard of FP units that lasted longer than that!
Firstly let me say that you are not misunderstanding me. I guess my writing and your reading are both satisfactory. Secondly, most things last longer than that. It also has 8 years of bouncing and banging around on a boat. It could be as simple as a loose wire or a corroded part which by age could be possible. Last guy didn't use it much and neither do I. I do have four month run intervals and it failed the last one by not putting out voltage or current. Like I said, it's on my list.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Firstly let me say that you are not misunderstanding me. I guess my writing and your reading are both satisfactory. Secondly, most things last longer than that. It also has 8 years of bouncing and banging around on a boat. It could be as simple as a loose wire or a corroded part which by age could be possible. Last guy didn't use it much and neither do I. I do have four month run intervals and it failed the last one by not putting out voltage or current. Like I said, it's on my list.
Sorry, sometimes I get tunnel vision. We use our genset at least 1.5 hours a day, every day of the year we are anchored, which is generally around 355 days a year, so I'm obsessed with having a reliable one. I forget the majority on here don't live aboard, nor are their lives consumed by their boats. Like I said, tunnel vision. Sorry, again.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I would install a "Hard Start" kit on the A/C to reduce starting amps, which is where the output of the generator will be taxed the most. There are a number to choose from including one made by Dometic which is pricey. A Supco SPP6E may be all that's needed.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Old thread..... but I just took delivery of my Nextgen 3.5kw genset. They are made in America and not a re-brand.... sort of like a beta marine with no electronics and a simple unit to work on, Kubota engine. People at the company are very happy to talk so far and also the dealer I bought it from, Joe Demers of Sound Marine Diesel in Ct is a great guy.

Looking forward to the install.....

Greg