Newbie potential purchaser seeking help on year/hull number and modifications

Jsl1

Mar 9, 2016
Catalina 30 Cleveland
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first "big" boat after owning and racing dingys and catamarans and crew on cruising and racing keelboats. So I have some sailing experience but a lot to learn about keelboats, but have spent many hours reading online learning as much as I can.
I have seen a Catalina 30 that I am interested in. It is a 1988 tall rig. I have been solely looking at '88 and later as it appears a few problems can be avoided by selecting a later model.
The hull number is CTYN5169K788 but I have confused myself about exactly what this means??
I believe this is a 1988 model manufactured in 1987 ( or is it vice versa?) and model number 5169. I believe this means it was manufactured prior to the elimination of wood in the mast step support (and for a while confused this with base of the compression post)
After more reading it appeared that the use of wood in the keel stub may be an even bigger issue which I believe ceased sometime in 1988 but could find a reference to hull production numbers?
As you can tell, this has left me a little confused and would be grateful for any insight.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Build in November 87 as a 1988 model.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Contact Catalina Yachts at (818) 884-7700. Give them the hull number and tell them what you want to know about the boat. they will look it up and get back to you within a day with your answers.

Jsl1

Mar 9, 2016
Catalina 30 Cleveland
Thanks for the replies. I actually had to call Catalina tech support on the E coast at (727) 544 6681.

The change in the keel stub layup technique was made in May '88 , post HIN 5397 ( which seems the same as the change listed for the mast step support change as listed on Catalina30.com (1988 5397 First non-wood mast step support (owner notification from factory)) on the Factory upgrade schedule. So this boat was manufactured about 200 hulls prior to the change.

I had a good chat with the rep who suggested that the wood in the keel stub was not a huge problem ( 40/50 occurrences in 5300 hulls?) and could easily be tested for by making a small exploratory drill hole. My question would be could you reasonably be able to expect a seller to allow you to do this on a pre purchase survey?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
My question would be could you reasonably be able to expect a seller to allow you to do this on a pre purchase survey?

Well if it looked like it was failure and there was reasons to suspect the problem I would ask him to drill for a sample but if there is no indication of an issue I would not let you drill a boat I was selling. By the way I just bought a 1988 TR so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I have a few things I found on mine I would look out for if I was going to buy another boat.

Jul 27, 2010
Catalina 30 MKII Morgan City, LA
I would double check the mast support. I read that Catalina used the wood block for the mast step support long after 5397. I believe 5397 was the hull number they eliminated the wood in the keel stub only.

Jsl1

Mar 9, 2016
Catalina 30 Cleveland
When I talked to tech support I was told that HIN 5397 was when wood was eliminated from the keel stub. However when I checked the factory upgrade schedule in the library section of Catalina 30 Boat Owners Association website, I only found reference to the change to the mast step support and nothing anywhere relating to the keel stub!

Not sure if one got confused with the other or were both done at same time but keel stub just didn't get listed??

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
figures I am 5215. but then again I dont have a Yanmar either I have a Universal 25 MXP

Jsl1

Mar 9, 2016
Catalina 30 Cleveland
I just read that post. It seems others have the same confusion that I initially suffered.
I think I now have it straight in my head, no guarantee though.

There is the mast support step which sits at deck level and according to the chart I reproduced in my last post is no longer wooden (after 5139).

Then there is the compression post support which sits directly below the compression post at approximate sole level and I believe is epoxy/fiberglass covered wood in all C30s unless it has been owner replaced.

Lastly there is wood contained in the keel stub where the keel is attached at bilge level. I as I mentioned in my last post, I was advised by Catalina tech support that wood was no longer used after 5139, approximately May '88 build date and for whatever reason is not separately listed on the upgrade schedule.

I may be mistaken, I sure someone will chime in if so.