New toilet and holding tank system

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
I haven't examined the whole plumbing run but it is controlled by a gate valve that lets the water in at the top of the bowl and I also think there is a check valve in the line. So, I don't think there is any way there could be backflow of waste since there are two valves and physical separation. if I find, upon further examination, that there isn't a check valve, I will install one downstream from the gate valve.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Flying Jay - when you get the tank monitor for the black water tank, consider getting the two channel model and having some indication on your fresh water tank as well. With the odd shape, it won't be perfect, but will give you a pretty good idea. I have a different system, but it sure is nice to know how much fresh water I have on longer cruises when we get out of the salty stuff and know there is enough to splurge on a fresh water rinse.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I haven't examined the whole plumbing run but it is controlled by a gate valve that lets the water in at the top of the bowl and I also think there is a check valve in the line. So, I don't think there is any way there could be backflow of waste since there are two valves and physical separation. if I find, upon further examination, that there isn't a check valve, I will install one downstream from the gate valve.
Any backflow of waste would have to be from the toilet discharge line, not the flush water source...but there's a reason why all toilet mfrs warn against connecting any toilet designed to use sea water to the fresh water plumbing: bacteria in the bowl are fully capable of migrating into the intake line...a gate valve can't prevent it. All marine toilets that are designed to use fresh water use only pressurized water--which means flush water can only flow when the fresh water pump is on...and have internal siphon breaks and backflow preventers installed.

There's only one manual toilet designed to use fresh water...the Raritan Fresh Head. You might want to take a look at the exploded drawing of the Fresh Head Raritan Fresh Head Exploded Parts View L524Ev

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Thanks! I am also concerned a innatentive guest may forget to turn off the gate valve so I may disconnect that setup and just fill the bowl with water from the shower head to flush as another poster suggested

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
Here's the update on our finished project... First off, we want to thank Peggy for her time and expertise! She masterfully helped us sketch out our entire plan and we tried our best to execute it - we couldn't be happier with the outcome.

So, on the weekend of our 3rd anniversary (late September), we finally had all the parts delivered and ready to go. We dove in head (pun intended) first and started this rather involved project. First, we did an extensive flush of the holding tank. Then we used a sawzall to cut away the thin fiberglass wall in order to get the old holding tank out, this was messy and difficult. The sawzall got a lot of use cutting hoses and old fittings, etc. Next was running the hoses. We followed Peggy's advice to use a hose-to-hose connector where we could, and also used some baling wire through drilled holes and duct tape on at least one of the hose runs. During one of the worst ones (I think it was a macerator hose) my wife was at the other end and i asked her to bang a bung in the end of it before she sent it my way as i suspected there was some rank fluid still in the line; well, it turned out she opted not to, and I took a nasty little shower. Her reasoning, "...I didn't want to get the bung dirty." :what: The raritan sani-flex hose is awesome to work with (very flexible) and we used that everywhere we could.

When it was all said and done, we replaced the holding tank with one we had custom made by Ronco. It has thicker walls and is translucent enough to visually see the tank contents level - so we decided to skip the tank quantity indicator. It has all the openings on the top now, with pickup tubes for the pump out hose and the macerator. We upgraded from a 1/2" to a 1" vent line that we ran to a new thru hull on the port stern (just above the bilge pump thru hull). We replaced all the hoses, and we installed a new toilet.

Cathy is thrilled with result and there are absolutely zero odors anywhere in the system (its all new). We did decide to keep the macerator hooked up, but we won't use it, and as the pick up line for it runs from the top of the tank I don't think there is any chance there will be standing fluids in that section of the system. I've attached some pics. For clarification, the corrugated hose seen on the top of the holding tank isn't part of the system (fellow 310 owners will recognize that as the engine vent hose).

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you see anything in the pics that looks weird.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
How did you get the new tank into the boat? It looks too big to fit through the access door from the aft bunk

Oct 1, 2020
How did you get the new tank into the boat? It looks too big to fit through the access door from the aft bunk
the new tank fit easily through the aft bunk access door, but I removed the wood trim around the door to avoid scratching it. We waited until we got it in place before installing any of the fittings/hoses.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Where did you source the Raritan Sani-Flex hose?

Did the tank come with the fittings to attach the pick-up tubes?

There are three hoses on the tank
- One inch vent fitting
- 1.5 inch inflow from head pump
- 2 inch to the macerator
- Where does the other 2 inch line go?

Well done job

Oct 1, 2020
Where did you source the Raritan Sani-Flex hose?

Did the tank come with the fittings to attach the pick-up tubes?

There are three hoses on the tank
- One inch vent fitting
- 1.5 inch inflow from head pump
- 2 inch to the macerator
- Where does the other 2 inch line go?

Well done job
Thank you!

I got the Sani-flex hose from Defender. I usually start there as I'm a member (discount) and it's easy. WM didn't have the sani-flex, but I did find it at Svendsen's, a local marine store in Alameda CA too. If anyone in the Bay Area wants some 1.5" saniflex I have more than I needed, DM me.

My drawings are confusing. The 2"s you're seeing are the distances away from the edge of the tank I wanted the holes placed, not hose diameters. To clarify, there are four total openings on the tank, all of them are on top.
One 1" for the vent line
One 1.5" for the outflow with a pick up tube
One 1.5" for the macerator with a pickup tube
One 1.5" for the inflow (from the toilet)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Jay doesn't say whether the tank came with fittings for the pickup tubes. Ronco includes them if you specify them when order the tank. And btw...Ronco installs fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

A word of advice when you order pickup tubes: insert them into the tank before you set the tank in place, or even before you bring it aboard, unless you have 2-3 feet pf clearance above the tank...'cuz you'll need that much. And also make sure you can get it into the boat (that the tank will fit through the companionway hatch) and it will fit through the access to the tank's space--WITH any hose fittings sticking out. Don't ask me how I know that it's important to know these things.

--Peggie

KZW

May 17, 2014
Thank you!

I got the Sani-flex hose from Defender. I usually start there as I'm a member (discount) and it's easy. WM didn't have the sani-flex, but I did find it at Svendsen's, a local marine store in Alameda CA too. If anyone in the Bay Area wants some 1.5" saniflex I have more than I needed, DM me.

My drawings are confusing. The 2"s you're seeing are the distances away from the edge of the tank I wanted the holes placed, not hose diameters. To clarify, there are four total openings on the tank, all of them are on top.
One 1" for the vent line
One 1.5" for the outflow with a pick up tube
One 1.5" for the macerator with a pickup tube
One 1.5" for the inflow (from the toilet)
Weird; the ID of the hose from Macerator to discharge seacock on my boat is 1 inch in diameter. I'm thinking of replacing this hose (it is only 16 years old!!!), but Sani-flex doesn't seem to be available in 1" ID.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Defender has SaniFlex in both 1.5" and 1"....and they sell it by the foot so you only have to buy the amount of hose you need. I definitely agree that 16 yr old hose--actually any hose that's even close to 10 years old--is definitely in need of replacement...and that includes the vent line.

It's not weird that your macerator inlet is 1.5" and has a 1" discharge...that's how Jabsco has always designed 'em.

--Peggie

KZW

May 17, 2014
Defender has SaniFlex in both 1.5" and 1"....and they sell it by the foot so you only have to buy the amount of hose you need. I definitely agree that 16 yr old hose--actually any hose that's even close to 10 years old--is definitely in need of replacement...and that includes the vent line.

It's not weird that your macerator inlet is 1.5" and has a 1" discharge...that's how Jabsco has always designed 'em.

--Peggie
Thank you!!!