• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

New toilet and holding tank system

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
I haven't examined the whole plumbing run but it is controlled by a gate valve that lets the water in at the top of the bowl and I also think there is a check valve in the line. So, I don't think there is any way there could be backflow of waste since there are two valves and physical separation. if I find, upon further examination, that there isn't a check valve, I will install one downstream from the gate valve.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Flying Jay - when you get the tank monitor for the black water tank, consider getting the two channel model and having some indication on your fresh water tank as well. With the odd shape, it won't be perfect, but will give you a pretty good idea. I have a different system, but it sure is nice to know how much fresh water I have on longer cruises when we get out of the salty stuff and know there is enough to splurge on a fresh water rinse.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I haven't examined the whole plumbing run but it is controlled by a gate valve that lets the water in at the top of the bowl and I also think there is a check valve in the line. So, I don't think there is any way there could be backflow of waste since there are two valves and physical separation. if I find, upon further examination, that there isn't a check valve, I will install one downstream from the gate valve.
Any backflow of waste would have to be from the toilet discharge line, not the flush water source...but there's a reason why all toilet mfrs warn against connecting any toilet designed to use sea water to the fresh water plumbing: bacteria in the bowl are fully capable of migrating into the intake line...a gate valve can't prevent it. All marine toilets that are designed to use fresh water use only pressurized water--which means flush water can only flow when the fresh water pump is on...and have internal siphon breaks and backflow preventers installed.

There's only one manual toilet designed to use fresh water...the Raritan Fresh Head. You might want to take a look at the exploded drawing of the Fresh Head Raritan Fresh Head Exploded Parts View L524Ev

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Thanks! I am also concerned a innatentive guest may forget to turn off the gate valve so I may disconnect that setup and just fill the bowl with water from the shower head to flush as another poster suggested