New to me 1988 23

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I cantilever mine up like this for bottom painting. Then I get the bunks very close to the boat right before the keel touching. this keeps the weight on the keel and bunks lightly supporting and holding level. I measure all meticulously to be sure everything is even.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
I sand everything that is possible with it fully on the trailer then raise and sand a bit more on bunk spots and paint.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
I did not like the Plywood for the Keel board and replaced with a 2X12. Mounting the outboard to the "V" of the trailer helped add the tongue weight needed for the trailer to track much better on the highway. I have also moved the Battery to the front of the boat that helps even out the heel on tacks but also adds forward weight to the boat on the trailer. And I have changed the broken surge brakes to electric which allows me to brake the trailer if any sway occurs which is rarely since mounting the outboard forward. The electric brakes are awesome for extending the tongue and collapsing at the ramp.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Maybe that can help on how to adjust the bunks for your question.

ULost

Sep 24, 2019
Hunter 23 My driveway
Semi quick update, here goes nothing. Once it was warm enough to use epoxy I started fixing and fairing cuts/gouges/etc in the hull. Nothing to serious, but enough to cause a problem if left alone. I prioritized what needed to be fixed/replaced immediately vs what would be nice to have. My idea was not to spend my spring and summer doing boat projects when I could be sailing. Luckily the biggest projects were the rudder tiller assembly, motor, and a few rigging items.

The rudder was coming apart at the seams. Over the winter I left it drying and protected. I started the project sanding the seam edges and then used epoxy fairing to get a smooth edge to use fiberglass on. It went pretty smooth no real issues. I painted the rudder and began work on the tiller. The original tiller was in pieces. Looking at a price for new, I decided to give it a shot and try to restore it. Sanded, glued, reshaped, and it was going to work out nicely. While not perfect it would do for the season.

Next was the motor. I did not know if it would even run. The gas tank was full of rust. So a decision was needed. Sink money into a old motor? Buy a new motor? Or go the electric route. Since I sail on lakes here in Idaho, I'm pretty protected. I started looking at using a trolling motor and what that would cost. Cost wise would be about the same as purchasing a new 2.5hp motor. So I pulled the trigger on a 86lb thrust 24v trolling motor. Glad I did, it works great. So far I've had it out in 15kt headwind and moved the boat with ease.

I needed new halyards, mostly the jib. Currently the main is holding, it might last the season. A few t-buckles as well. Other than that I believed she was sail ready. I launched her about 2 weeks ago, I had a few friends there for help and moral support. Found one small leak that was easily fixed. I over looked rebedding the rudder gudgeons. From the looks of them it was original material. A little 4000 fixed that right up. Other than that it was successful. I took the wife and a friend out for a Mothers day sail, and everything was good.

Since I'm a newbie to sailing and boat ownership there are many lessons learned. But overall a very positive experience. I still have many projects that need to be started, but I'll work on them in time.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
A friendly reminder on a trailer with a fixed keel. The weight of the boat with keel should be supported on the keel tray. The bunk boards should only keep it upright. If any oil canning of the hull is happening, that means the support is too far up and should be lowered accordingly. Whether or not the oil canning of the hull will ever come out only time will tell. If not , live with it. Depends on the boat. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix

Mar 12, 2020
Hunter 23 Lake Pleasant
Wow! The original mast foot with the integral sheaves. Bet there aren't many of those around!

Looks great! And what a treat to get out and sail, eh?