New Solar Product - Feedback Request

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

I have been working on this design now for a while and finally have a workable prototype (patent pending for upper mount). The first few attempts at this were scrapped. The product is a mount design for a 10W - 50W solar panel to be mounted aft of a back stay on a sailboat. It is intended for mooring sailed boats or boats in a marina with no power. The benefits if this solar mount are...

#1 The solar panel and it's sharp edges are up and out of the way well above head height.

Provides the strength / space for up to 50W of solar for boats that do not have davits, bimini's, dodgers or suitable places to mount panels out of harms way.

Limits shade potential from boom or radar poles meaning higher daily performance from a small panel.. Back stays don't impact panels as much due to the way the light bends around them.

By utilizing the back stay for fore/aft and lateral support we do not need a large diameter pole and we don't need support struts. Just a single 1" pole will support the panel.

#5 By drilling two holes at the top and bottom of the 1" pole this allows PV wires to be hidden inside 1" pole and to exit just a few inches above the deck.

Unfortunately the components are not inexpensive at this point in time. It is looking like the top mount with the split UV Delrin back-stay bushing is pushing $165.00 (to the end user) and the lower mount with backing plate is pushing $120.00. Working with 316SS and having it polished cut and welded, in small lots, is expensive. If anyone out there does this, and want to quote this, please contact me..

To allow the boat owner to source the best prices for the other parts, SS tubing and fittings, the rest of the components are standard 1" dodger fittings. For strength the eye-ends and jaw-slides will need to be center drilled for a 1/4" fastener to through bolt the assembly together and I plan on offering these as well but the quotes I have now from 11 machine shops, just for center drilling the 1/4" holes, is averaging about 6.50 per hole (my cost) plus the fitting.

I am trying to determine if this is a product boaters, other than my direct customers, would be interested in. I have three scheduled to be installed in August. It is still in the prototyping stage but will be ready for prime time pretty soon.

This is a bench mock up:

*The thin wire passing through the Delrin bushing represents the vessel back stay. The bushing is drilled to finish diameter, using the 1/8" pilot hole, by the end user. The bushing simply rides on the stay and it is not a "tight clamp fit" but rather the hole is ever so slightly larger than the stay.

*The aft facing solar mount is created using 1" .065 walled SS tube, 1" SS Eye Ends and 1" Jaw Slides. The top and bottom eye ends will need 1/4" holes drilled with 1/4" though bolts as well as the top jaw slide and the innermost eye end for the aft facing solar mount.

*The lower mount comes complete with a deck plate, backing plate and bolts. This mount plate may not work for all boats so alternative options for the bottom may be necessary..

*The main upright pole is designed to be 7' to 8' above deck or high enough for the panel to clear boaters entering and exiting from the stern ladder.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Maine,

Neat. As the 'upright pole' that follows the backstay gets longer, the torque applied to the lower fitting (created by the panel pushed by the wind) grows. Assuming you factored that into the design of the fittings?

Feb 6, 1998
So, we climb up onto the railing to clean it?
Yes or you remove the bottom eye end bolt and lower the assembly down the back stay until you can reach.... You design the pole height on your end so it is up to the installer to decide on height. I have seen a number of folks wind up cut or with stitches from sharp edged panels mounted down low.. I also have a number of customers with another design of mine which puts it over the radar on the radar pole and they do just that stand on the stern push pit to clean it.....

This owner was chewing through AGM batteries in 12-18 months. His AGM's are now in their sixth season.. Even a small 40W panel can make a big difference......

Feb 6, 1998
Maine,

Neat. As the 'upright pole' that follows the backstay gets longer, the torque applied to the lower fitting (created by the panel pushed by the wind) grows. Assuming you factored that into the design of the fittings?
All factored into the design. Max suggested height is 8' with 1" .065 walled SS & a 50W rigid monocrystalline panel. A good friend does all my engineering work for me and I do his electrical work.....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
All factored into the design. Max suggested height is 8' with 1" .065 walled SS & a 50W rigid monocrystalline panel. A good friend does all my engineering work for me and I do his electrical work.....
I had the same question. All of the torque forces are on the baseplate. The backing plate is critical. I'm trying to imagine how it installs on a split backstay.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I'm trying to imagine how it installs on a split backstay.
My question, also. I'm intrigued by your design. I'm contemplating installing solar to keep my batteries up. I'm not keen on staying connected to shore power all the time. In my new slip, the stern faces south. Perfect for solar. I was thinking about a flexible panel laying atop the bimini, but I usually take that down during the winter. Will be staying tuned in.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am trying to imagine how it installs, period. I guess I just don't see it.

Feb 6, 1998
My question, also. I'm intrigued by your design. I'm contemplating installing solar to keep my batteries up. I'm not keen on staying connected to shore power all the time. In my new slip, the stern faces south. Perfect for solar. I was thinking about a flexible panel laying atop the bimini, but I usually take that down during the winter. Will be staying tuned in.
This product will not fit all boats but it does depend upon where the split is and why it was split to begin with. If it was split to avoid your head bonking it at the hemp then it's a bad fit... Just like a Questus or ScanStrut self leveling back stay radar mount this won't fit all boats. I do have a Beneteau 36.7 owner interested and the split is less than 8' above where we'd mount it so as long as he keeps some tension on the back can work in some split stay situations..

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Maine, that's too bad. I thought I had stumbled onto the perfect solution. The split in my stay is above the bimini with the two split stays running through the bimini to the corners of the stern. :sosad:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Maine, that's too bad. I thought I had stumbled onto the perfect solution. The split in my stay is above the bimini with the two split stays running through the bimini to the corners of the stern. :sosad:
Likewise. Pretty common I'd image.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Likewise. Pretty common I'd image.
Then I'd suggest not buying it. ;^)

The best products typically are designed to solve a specific problem for a specific use-case. Get too generic and your product loses it's focus, and it's appeal. Remember, the jack of all trades is also the master of none.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Maine,
I have a similar arrangement for my radar via a custom pole installed by the PO. The backstay anchor plate has an integrated tang to which a 2" OD x ~10' long stainless tube is attached such that it can pivot fore and aft. At the top of the tube are a couple of delrin sheaves positioned loosely in front of and behind the backstay. Same principle but different implementation. If you're interested in photos, let me know.

Feb 6, 1998
For those having a tough time picturing it:

Upper Back Stay Mount Installed around Back Stay:

50W Panel and Pole Installed:

Closer Version:

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
If I am seeing this correctly, the backstay is only used to help stabilize it and the rod is the main support. I am not sure why it wouldn't work on a split backstay. It looks like it would be fine on my H30C which splits maybe 8 foot up.

Feb 6, 1998
If I am seeing this correctly, the backstay is only used to help stabilize it and the rod is the main support. I am not sure why it wouldn't work on a split backstay. It looks like it would be fine on my H30C which splits maybe 8 foot up.

That is exactly what it does and you can use a split stay if you are willing to accept the compromises such as the pole possibly hitting you in the back of the head when at the wheel, a pole to climb around as you come up the swim ladder etc... The pole actually sits about 2" - 2.5" aft of the stay due to the design. Most stays are split to maximize cockpit room by moving the wheel aft. When you move the wheel aft you run the risk of your head hitting the back stay so builders often split the stays above deck.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I see it now. Thanks, Maine. My concern is for those that use their backstay as their SSB antenna. This could present a problem and might even be a game changer for them. Otherwise I like how it is above and away from everything.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
How about split support poles parallel to the split backstay. Twice the $ but could work right?