New purchase and new sailor

Oct 12, 2014
Catalina 30 St. Augustine
Also, Jtuner119, I just read the discouraging post about your engine. If you've read my blog, mycatalina30.wordpress.com you know that my Yanmar diesel was completely submerged for a number of years. Try to turn it over manually. If it turns, you only want it to turn a little, it's HIGHLY likely it's salvageable. If the previous owner pickled it properly, like mine, it just might work. The electric stuff on it will need replacing, but that's better than replacing the whole engine. I have talked to so many diesel experts and diesel amateurs. The overwhelming consensus is, if it turns over, you can save it. We just got the right sized socket and a socket wrench to turn it. IF it does move. Stop. Get a little manual pump and pump everything out of the engine, including the cylinders. Fill everything with diesel, this will stop further corrosion until you can work on it properly. Yes, i will still need to inspect every component of the motor, including injectors. Again, better than a complete rebuild. Hopefully this is helpful.

Sep 26, 2014
Catalina 30 mkI Herrington Harbor
i guess i really should apologize about the pics of my engine. its really not as bad as i made it look. dirty yes but the pics made it look worse. since im working on a very tight budget, i have to purchase what i can only when i can and do any work i can do myself. but in the end i get to know my boat inside and out.
the anticipation of getting her back in the bay is killing me!!

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
jtuner119 said:
jrowan said:
Not sure off hand. Check the 5411 engine manual that I copied a link for you on the post I sent to you. I had it uploaded as an attachment to the response that I sent you with pics of my 5411. Good luck on your refit. I have lots of documents regarding the 5411 manuals & other docs relevant to the C 30 if you need them, such as the wiring & plumbing schematics, Hurst Transmission manual, etc. Cheers, Jeremy
I've been trying to find the answer to my question and I can not find any specs on what size the nut is. If you can find it in a manual, where? All I keep finding is a part number.
Sorry dude, but I'm not a marine diesel engine mechanic. The two manuals that I sent you are the most detailed info on the 5411 engine available, as they were prduced by Universal. No engine manual is going to list the exact specs of every nut & bolt on the engine. For that, you will have to measure the crank nut itself with calipers.

BTW, please don't paint me to be out to be totally pessamistic or discouraging, as I only try to be realistic & practical about sailboat maintenance. A lot of people come on this site with grand notions about restoring boats, but I try to remind folks about general practical safety, & what it actually costs to restore what others neglect. Reminding folks that thru hulls can go bad & sink boats, & that you need to wear a respirator when dealing with mold removal is just common sense.

Sep 26, 2014
jtuner119 said:
thanks for the info. i figured you might know since you boasted to me about being so knowledgeable. i didnt mean to make you sound pessimistic but you I haven't heard you say one positive thing. thats why i said that you like to be blunt. but i dont know you andi mean no disrespect. i dont want to offend you any further so i will look elsewhere for advice. thanks again for your help.
I don't know why you're posting private messages but I think we should part ways jrowan. Thanks for all your help and good luck to you.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
On bolt sizing.

It is probably best to get a set of calipers from harbor freight and measure across the flats.

With old motors were you do not know the history the manual can do times be just a suggestion about such things. There is no telling if the bolts were stripped or sheared in the past resulting in retapping and are now oversized.

PB blaster and a big standard driver are your friend. Wack each of the flats using driver and hammer, hit with blaster, measure the head, go to Ace or Sears and get the proper sized 6 point socket and a nice breaking bar.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Jturner119.. Engine parts.. didn't know if you had this reference.. The Universal 5411 is a Marinized Kubota Z500 engine as used in their B5100 Tractor.. you can find normal parts like starters and stuff at Kubota tractor parts places, usually for a lot less money.. first starter in this list, for instance:
http://www.compactractorparts.com/kubota_parts-02.html#kubota_parts_starters.
Not endorsing these guys, just using as an example.. Same would go for things like injectors, etc..

Sep 26, 2014
Jturner119.. Engine parts.. didn't know if you had this reference.. The Universal 5411 is a Marinized Kubota Z500 engine as used in their B5100 Tractor.. you can find normal parts like starters and stuff at Kubota tractor parts places, usually for a lot less money.. first starter in this list, for instance: http://www.compactractorparts.com/kubota_parts-02.html#kubota_parts_starters. Not endorsing these guys, just using as an example.. Same would go for things like injectors, etc..
thanks. i'll try that. im waiting for a friend that distributes remanufactured parts. and some more funds. lol.

Sep 26, 2014
A little update on the project. Still need a starter and an alternator. Been cleaning the inside and re bedding the windows. Slow but steady going.

Sep 26, 2014
Starter and alternator have been ordered! Yay! I'm going to change all fluids and filters sometime this week. Getting colder but I don't care! If I can get the engine running good, I may launch her for some late late season sailing out on the bay. The facilities and grounds at Herrington Harbor North are awesome but if I could save some money by moving her else where, I may have to go with that option. More and more slips are becoming available as winter creeps upon us. Then again, I might be "putting the cart before the horse" and should be focusing on the task at hand. GET THE ENGINE RUNNING! For now, here's a pic of my Halloween costume this year.

image-3595801429.jpg

Sep 26, 2014
new starter arrived today but too late for me to try and install. but i was comparing it to the old starter and the old starter has an extra wire. Captnron and I have been talking about the gasket my old starter had. I suspect that the extra wire is the ground for the old starter and the new starter is grounded through the mounting bolts. has anyone else had to replace their starter on a 5411 and have this similar problem?

image-4073822652.jpg

Sep 26, 2014
image-3987770355.jpg image-4117045211.jpg New starter and old starter comparison. Old starter has an extra wire??

Sep 26, 2014
image-4054289244.jpg

image-3204715682.jpg

New starter and new alternator installed. Installing was a breeze. Found out however that the old belt is too short with the new alternator. There is no automotive parts store near Herrington Harbor. So I had to go back to the parts store near my house and I'll try to see if I got a long enough belt tomorrow. Will post pics once belt is on.

Sep 26, 2014
new belt, new bolt, new oil filter, new fuel filter and new oil. purchased today and will be installed/replaced tomorrow. if i can find a second hand to help me out, im gonna crank this engine over.

Sep 26, 2014
I tried to crank it with the starter just to see if it would turn over. I have no fuel so I knew it wasn't going to start but I just cranked her for a second to see if she would and she did. I think. Lol. I couldn't really see the engine from the cockpit. But she sounded like she turned over. I'm hoping that I have an extra pair of hands to help me out this weekend. Anyone wanna help me out? If anyone is free Saturday, come on by and say hello. I'll be at the boat probably all day working on her.

Sep 26, 2014
Task list for today:
Engine
Replace oil filter and oil
Replace fuel filter
Replace belt
Finish install of alternator
Add diesel fuel
*Start engine

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Good luck, hope she starts and runs nice for you. Alway a nice feeling running a motor for the first time.

Sep 26, 2014
well i know i promised pics. but i was working alone again and couldnt take any. i did manage to change the oil and filters and install the starter and alternator and replace the belt....whew. even writing about it makes me tired all over again.
i had a plan in my head that i thought would keep my bilge clean. but i thought wrong. i did however learn that baby diapers are a good absorbent of oil spills. monday i'll remember to bring fuel with me too. lol