New purchase and new sailor

Sep 26, 2014
Catalina 30 mkI Herrington Harbor
ive also figured out where the positive leads go to. one goes to the fuse panel and the other two go to the charger. lol. i tried to see if the engine will turn over but no go. i also didnt have any fuel. i guess filters and a new starter are next on the shopping list.

May 29, 2013
catalina 30 dana point
Jtuner, with minor maintenance, farmers leave diesels in the yard all "off season", Get a fresh battery, fresh fuel, oil and crank 'er!

Sep 26, 2014
i guess i owe your house cleaner thanks for the advice. i mentioned previously im going to replace all filters. i'll post pics once i do.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
ps. By the way, don't know if anyone else has mentioned this to you, but do not crank the engine for more then 30 seconds at a time. IF the engine won't start, then close off the fresh water intake valve for the raw water cooled water pump. If you keep cranking the engine will flood with raw water due to backing up through the exhaust stroke, if the water muffler fills up. Without the compression of the exhaust forcing the water out of the muffler, it can & will flow backwards & ruin your engine. I also noticed that the flood line in your boat's cabin seems to be very close to the top of the engine. If the battery cables were submerged, then they will disintegrate from the massive corrosion from water. This might be why your alternator is also corroded. Look closely at the battery cable connections to the starter & alternator. If suspect then replace them. Once you get the engine started then open the sea cock to prevent flooding the engine. My 2 cents.

Sep 26, 2014
ps. By the way, don't know if anyone else has mentioned this to you, but do not crank the engine for more then 30 seconds at a time. IF the engine won't start, then close off the fresh water intake valve for the raw water cooled water pump. If you keep cranking the engine will flood with raw water due to backing up through the exhaust stroke, if the water muffler fills up. Without the compression of the exhaust forcing the water out of the muffler, it can & will flow backwards & ruin your engine. I also noticed that the flood line in your boat's cabin seems to be very close to the top of the engine. If the battery cables were submerged, then they will disintegrate from the massive corrosion from water. This might be why your alternator is also corroded. Look closely at the battery cable connections to the starter & alternator. If suspect then replace them. Once you get the engine started then open the sea cock to prevent flooding the engine. My 2 cents.
thanks for the advice jrowan. but i can tell that you havent read the entire thread. my boat is currently in dry storage. im already looking to replace the starter and the alternator. i have looked and checked the cables that lead to the starter and alternator but not thoroughly. i'll post pics once i have the alternator and starter removed.

Sep 26, 2014
worked on the engine today. removed the alternator and starter. i tried to turn the crank but i didnt bring a socket or wrench big enough. image-39055618.jpg image-4285064353.jpg image-148133165.jpg

image-2262487264.jpg

Sep 26, 2014
Did you check voltage at the starter after you installed/wired the batteries?
unfortunately i did not. i probably should have but i didnt bring a meter with me anyway. the alternator was seized up and the starter was so corroded. you can see from the pics.

May 29, 2013
catalina 30 dana point
You will find that a (even cheap) multimeter will be necessary for checking voltages, continuity, etc.

Have you used a MM before? If not, they are very easy and intuitive.

Good luck!

Sep 26, 2014
You will find that a (even cheap) multimeter will be necessary for checking voltages, continuity, etc. Have you used a MM before? If not, they are very easy and intuitive. Good luck!
again thanks for your advice but please try not to insult me. i have used a multimeter before. a check light will work just as fine for checking continuity.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
again thanks for your advice but please try not to insult me. i have used a multimeter before. a check light will work just as fine for checking continuity.
A check light? Good for cleaning under your nails or flotsome from your teeth, that's about it. You should have stopped when you were ahead. LoL.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
Gotta tell ya JTuner, after seeing your close ups of that engine it really looks bad.
That engine was definitely submerged in water for a long time, as you mentioned that there was quite a bit of water in the cabin. I would try to get the motor to at least turn over before I put any real money in it. Because if water got in through the air intake & corroded the fuel injectors, injector pump, seals, wiring, etc. then it may not be worth fixing. My 5411 has been rebuilt & is by no means perfect, but this is what it should look like in decent shape:
ps. If you're serious about rebuilding your 5411, here is the the engine repair manual. The exploded parts views in the parts manual are particularly helpful to document how all the parts fit & go back together again. Hope this helps:

Attachments

Sep 26, 2014
I know the pics don't look too encouraging. But they are just bad pics. It's really not as bad as I made it look. Or maybe it's just me trying to think positive. Lol. I appreciate the concerns fellas. I know it looks like it could be a tough fix but I'm trying to be optimistic. What I could use are some links to some cheap parts.

Sep 26, 2014
I had no idea if you had used a MM before, just trying to be helpful. sorry
No harm done. Any and all advice are appreciated.
I have checked all electrical connections and wiring that may have been under the water line. Fortunately the previous owner was a very conservative and meticulous in caring for the boat. The engine was winterized before hauled and put in storage (granted it was over 2 years ago), the engine oil didn't look milky in any way and the previous owner is fairly confident that the engine is good. I know that sounds a little naive but I don't want to get into details about my relationship with the seller. I have faith that I can get her ready for the next season and I'll post pics when I do.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
No offense, but isn't the previous owner always confident that their terrible looking engine still runs, & that they were so meticulous, except that they let the cabin fill up with 2 feet of water? LOL. It is the job of the seller to highlight the good points, & ignore their neglect. That's how they sell it. I just hope you didn't pay too much, because that engine looks like its toast. Its not just where it was submerged to almost the top of the block. Remember that when water hits the battery cables it causes electrolysis & massive corrosion occurs to anything metal that touches this bath of electrolyte charged, corrosive water. It will cause zinc to leach out of bronze & porous weakening. I suspect that all of your thru hulls & valves have massive corrosion & should be replaced as a precaution against them breaking off & sinking your boat. From your pics it looks like all of your hoses & fittings are completely original on that engine. Hoses should be replaced about every 10 years, as they dry rot & if any of them fail, they can also sink your boat. The only part that looks like it was ever replaced was the water pump, which is now corroded from flooding. I don't want to discourage you, but I reiterate that you should hook up a good battery to the engine, but if it won't even turn over freely, the motor may be locked up from corrosion. Even if it does turn over, I would have no faith in it lasting any real length of time. Most of us who still have original engines have been rebuilt by now, & that motor shows every sign of massive corrosion & needs a rebuild, unless you want to take your chances out there. My 2 c.

Sep 26, 2014
Lol. Like I said, it sounds very naive of me to believe a seller but i dont want to get into how we met. I wonder how much would you pay for a boat like this? Since youre very discouraging in your advice, i hope you follow my thread all the way to the end. I'll either say you were right or be posting pics of me sailing. Either way, I appreciate your comments.

Oct 12, 2014
Catalina 30 St. Augustine
Hi Jtuner119-
Thanks for the words of encouragement on my post!
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=166562
Your boat's going to be great! Keep in mind that she does not have to be completely finished before launching. A lot of projects can be done while she is in the water. Sometimes people get caught up in finishing everything and forget that some of the jobs can be done in the water and in between actual sailing the boat. I'm not suggesting you are doing that, but keep it in mind. Someone gave me that advice years ago and I often remember it as I ask the marina to push back my scheduled launch date...
Keep taking lots of pictures.
Anyway, as far as project boats go, I'm pretty sure I win. Hands down. :)
Cheers!