New O'Day 25 owner

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While I love them on sportboats, I would not rely on the power of an electric outboard (Torqeedo 1003) to get a 5000 pound, high freeboard Oday 25 out of a jam. For sure it will glide you back into the slip on a windless evening, but when you're in trouble in big breeze? Nope.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The Tohatsu is new as of April so not many out there. YouTube recording seems ok.

Ya I have my doubts for electric, I was looking at Elco EP-9.9, equal to 9.9 hp outboard, 65 lbs, but will need 4 12v batteries.

https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/ep-99-outboard.shtml

I also just found a used 2008 Mercury 9.9 hp Pro Kicker with electric start and trim, weight is 108 lb, but price is $1250.

Any thoughts on staying in a 5-6 hp range instead of what I think is overkill for me at 9.9 hp.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
John I have a Tohatsu 6 HP SailPro on my 23 and it is has been plenty of power except into a 40 kt breeze on Yellowstone Lake. It pushed the boat enough to keep steerage and we made it back. That lake is at 7700' so the engine was no where near the power it would have at sea level. At 1/3 throttle it will push our boat at hull speed in no wind condition (445' elevation). We pulled 2 other boats in the Holiday Parade (Catalina 22 and Macgregor 26 all of us loaded with people) for a while at hull speed at full throttle. You do have a little more weight and windage but I would have no problem putting one of these on a 25. There is a guy in the state north of you that has new 6 HP SailPros for $1560 with free shipping. We have bought from him twice. We don't have a Tohatsu dealer within 140 miles for all of you who think I should have bought local. We do keep the local bicycle shop in business. The 6 HP is a single cylinder so you will have a little more vibration but we don't think it's bad. Check around as Tohatsu builds the same engine for several other higher priced name brands.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Lee, I bought my short shaft 6hp Tohatsu from TN too. Works great on my flat bottom fishing boat. It is a great little motor just the wrong shaft length.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm looking for ideas and options for my toe rails. I removed all deck hardware and all the toe rails this winter. I did Maine Sails guide for bedding everything but the toe rails 3 of the 4 fell apart and are screwed into the deck. The through hole hardware was actually clean and dry, the toe rails were not. I sealed the holes up with epoxy for now and am thinking of cleaning the areas up and not installing anything. For lake sailing I'm thinking this is fine.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You'd be surprised how handy that toe rail is when maneuvering about on your deck. Rudy should have them for you, iirc there is a bit of a curve to them. You could just make your own too.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You'd be surprised how handy that toe rail is when maneuvering about on your deck.
Not to mention all the goodies that they will save from Neptune after you drop them.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Hi Guys,

I have owned my 1978 O'Day 25 since 2013. I have done lots of upgrades and know the boat very well. I sail Casco Bay and its been a total joy. Bought new sails from Loong Sails made a great difference in performance. I have updated a lot including replacing all wiring, the galley and bathroom. Please feel free to contact me with questions. The 25 is a great day sailer/weekender.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
I replaced my toe rails. Bought teak boards using a table saw and router made new ones using the old ones as a pattern. Filling the old screw holes with epoxy and bedding the new rails with butyl tape worked great. I replace the cabin top handrails buying new ones from Rudy at D&R Marine.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Can't wait to try out the new motor.

20180302_095622_HDR.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
New head sail should be here this week. Didn't want to do the motor but old one was not worth it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yes new headsail came today! Now stuck waiting a least a couple of weeks to try it and my new North Sail Main out

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Congrats John. Looks like you are ready for the 2018 sailing season.
What size head sail? I think you said you'll be installing jib tracks?
Next up to go with the new mainsail is a new traveler?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
From my measurements they sized a 115 jib. I stuck with hank on and after talking with them a bit about what we wanted out of the boat they recommended a single reef on the jib to reduce it to I believe around a 80-90, I need to check with them on that as I forgot what it came out to. Reefing a hank on jib isn't real common but after talking with some locals it seemed like a nice option for us since we typically commit to a weekend of sailing and if the weather looks sporty I'll plan to set the main and jib reef before leaving and then let out if needed.

Tracks and traveler are on the list, but will probably have to wait a bit. I really hadn't planned a new motor but after 2 estimates, it seemed like the better money was on a new one with a warranty. I got the 25" long shaft which looks like a good improvement for depth compared to the old 20. I also reduced my stern weight by 10 lbs with the new motor too.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So as some may notice I'm lacking my toe rails still. I know I could go to D&R for replacement ones, but I think based on our needs and use I want less maintenance. I found a vendor to cut new toe rails out of King Starboard to the same size as what was on the boat. Is this a bad idea? Just checked vendor and bonding with double stick will probably not work.

Last edited:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Tracks and traveler are on the list, but will probably have to wait a bit.
With your new headsail, you have the best opportunity to experience/learn adjusting the jib lead. I replaced my pinstop jib lead system with an adjustable lead car system. It makes a very noticeable difference, even on my little boat with a fractional rig. Peak under Myrl's cover to see what I did. It didn't cost much money.

I can also show you how to build a pseudo-traveler for almost no money. I don't think that it is comprehensible by looking at Myrl right now, but if you see me, just ask. I had it temporarily rigged last summer and my first boat project this spring will be its proper installation.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Awesome and thanks jwing! I'll check your system out for sure. I might try to make it to the boat on Friday morning, have to see how work goes this week. I need to finish my motor install work, set up the sails and look at reefing lines. I might also address my toe rails too.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
From my measurements they sized a 115 jib. I stuck with hank on and after talking with them a bit about what we wanted out of the boat they recommended a single reef on the jib to reduce it to I believe around a 80-90, I need to check with them on that as I forgot what it came out to. Reefing a hank on jib isn't real common but after talking with some locals it seemed like a nice option for us since we typically commit to a weekend of sailing and if the weather looks sporty I'll plan to set the main and jib reef before leaving and then let out if needed.
This all sounds good. I've heard of reefing a jib and it sounds like a good solution for your sailing area. Have you thought about a downhaul to pull the jib down and hold it down? You can run the down haul line to the cockpit and once the jib is down and the downhaul is taught, tuck the jib under it to hold it close to the deck. I did this on my first sailboat, a 17' Newport. Worked well.

For the toe rail, starboard will be durable but it will probably bend easily. I've also read that not much sticks to it. If you use it you should screw/bolt it down. I would look into a plastic wood alternative. Not quite as slick as starboard and probably just as durable. I would still screw it down or through bolt it.

Looking good!