New member, novice sailor, couple questions

Jan 30, 2019
Captiva Yachts Inc Sanibel 17/18 Belleview
Good morning all, I'm a new member and novice sailor (11.5' kayak that I built a sailing kit for, stitched my own sails too!). I have recently decided to upgrade from my current 1 man yacht...lol...to one that I can have my family (5 of us total, 3 kids 16yo daughter 15yo son 10yo son) with me on. Enter my new to me slightly more family friendly '85 sanibel 17/18, she needs a thorough cleaning and running rigging but is sound otherwise. Most things I can do or figure out on my own but have run into a minor technical hiccup concerning the boom to mast attachment. I know the sail lugs and rounded end of boom hardware (sorry, forgot the name of the part in question) go into the masts slot, but what holds said boom up when we decide to lower the main? Not sure giving my wife a boom induced headache would do me any good. And secondly my sails are in pretty good shape, but what can I use to clean them? They have a few stains and one looks a little dingy in spots. The spreaders are also a concern, something just doesn't look right. And lastly should there be an aft stay? There's no place on the mast head or stern that would indicate one belongs there. Or do the shrouds act as the aft stay since they attach approx 2' behind the mast step? Thank you for your time and advice, I've got many other questions but do believe that's enough for now.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I know the sail lugs and rounded end of boom hardware (sorry, forgot the name of the part in question) go into the masts slot, but what holds said boom up when we decide to lower the main?
Welcome, we're always glad to answer questions from new sailors and encourage them to sail.

The fitting that connects the boom to the mast is called a goose neck.

There are several options to protect your wife's head. A topping lift is a line that goes from the top of the mast to the end of the boom. Make it adjustable so it can slacked off when sailing.

A boom kicker can be installed that supports the mast when the sail is down. Works with a vang.

Finally a short line can be attached to the back stay that can clip on to the boom and support it when not sailing.

Google Sanibel 17/18 images to get some ideas.

And secondly my sails are in pretty good shape, but what can I use to clean them? They have a few stains and one looks a little dingy in spots.
Mild detergent. Oxyclean for the stains. Don't scrub too hard, there is a coating on the fabric that can be abraded. The coating helps to prevent stretch.

The spreaders are also a concern, something just doesn't look right. And lastly should there be an aft stay? There's no place on the mast head or stern that would indicate one belongs there. Or do the shrouds act as the aft stay since they attach approx 2' behind the mast step?
Yeah, the end of the spreader looks a little shabby. There should be a better way of holding the stay in place than some wire.

If the spreaders are swept back, then the boat was likely designed without a back stay. The swept back spreaders serve the same purpose.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Unsupervised and welcome to SBO forums.
(1)Check sailboatdata.com for information on your boat if you do not already have weight, length overall, waterline length, etc. If there is a drawing of the boat it will verify whether there is a backstay or not. Small boats often rely on the shrouds and the forestay to hold the mast fore and aft when the sail is lowered or removed. The sail, through use of the mainsheet, will pull aft on the mast when you are sailing.
(2)The forward end of the boom has a fitting called a gooseneck. It fits just as you mentioned into the sail slot on the aft side of the mast. You can purchase a thumb-twist fitting to stop the boom from falling too far when the halyard is released to lower the main sail. The forward end of the boom also has that bent key that will hold the tack fitting on the sail (forward, lower end grommet). The ring on the gooseneck is for a "down haul", a line to hold the boom down when you raise the main sail. That fitting might be installed upside down in the picture because the ring would be more likely on the bottom, I think.
(3) The end of the spreader does look a bit funky. Is there a broken piece of metal there? The shroud should go through the end of the spreader and it should have a 'boot" on the end to prevent chaffing (sp?) of the jib. The wire needs to be replaced, although a wire is necessary. Small size stainless steel wire is good...doesn't need to be very thick.
(4)Sail cleaning: Hose and water in the driveway or on the deck/patio is a possibility. We have used it often. Gentle liquid soap and some non-bleach whitener. Scrub with a reasonably soft brush or a push broom. Rinse thoroughly and support to dry thoroughly too.
(5) If I can help with other questions, contact me on the Private Message conversation part of this forum. I surely don't have all the answers, but it's winter and I like to discuss boats and boat repair.
Phil (31seahorse) Sorry for the repeat....I was typing at about the same time as the others.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome unsupervised. You have come aboard the right forum and it is good to welcome new concerts.
The sanibel 17/18 is a very pretty boat and looks perfect for a family daysailer.
The sailboat data web site might be of interest to you. It's very basic but there is a rigging schematic that shows a backstay. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/sanibel-1718 Topping lifts are probably the most popular way to hold the boom up.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 30, 2019
Thanks for the welcome and responses. Sailboatdata.com was my 1st stop when researching a boat (been on the hunt for 3yrs) to get its specs, then on to the forums for real world knowledge for any particular boat.

Dlochner- yes the spreaders are swept back, and the lack of any hardware on the stern led me to believe she was designed without a back stay. Then 2nd guessed myself because I've seen pictures of sanibels with back stays but couldn't verify the year or manufacturer of the boat in the picture. And I didn't even think about oxiclean, I just knew bleach was a bad idea.
31seahorse- thank you to, I will definitely PM you this evening when I get home, I'm a W.M. driver and we're not allowed to use our phones while driving or working on the back.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd look at the top of the mast, is there a tang or bolt hole for a back stay, it is a fractional rig so the fore stay is obvious on the front of the mast below the top some distance from pictures.

Here is an 1986 listing with a clear phot of the stern, sure doesn't look like a back stay on that and the mainsheet is an interesting arrangement.
http://sailingtexas.com/201101/ssanibel18102.html

I certainly won't fly any large overlapping jib with that rig or spin in any serious wind conditions. I bet some racers added back stays them to fly big sails, but sure looks like you would have mainsail interference.

Bess you and your family, that sure seems like a very small boat for 5, just sail in almost zero wind for awhile as it could get pretty exciting trying to move people around when things get sporty.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Unsupervised . I see you found a boat that was made right in your home state. Nice boat. A great "Until" boat. I have had one... many here have enjoyed such boats. With kids and time constraints there is nothing that could be better.

Trailersailer's, in my opinion, are the ideal boat to itch the need to sail. Your boat has nice lines and was built exactly to appeal to you the buyer entering the "I need something more than my kayak" market. Love the shallow draft. You'll be able to lift the center board and get into all the little and shallow spots that can be so much fun along the Florida waterways and coastal areas.

Specifically to your questions. The guys have identified the key areas. Dave (@dlochner ), knows boats.
  1. Yes your image of the spreader looks wrong. Worn. It would help if your have a picture of the other spreader. Often on boats with 2 of something (spreaders) there is a good one and a bad one. Matching the set up on the good one is the easiest trick to repair. Of course that assumes the one not shown is a good one and not something a previous owner mad up on the fly. Then you need a new idea. What looks bad is that there are several holes through the end of the spreader. They look like they have had the spreader run through them (spreader broken, drill hole, put wire thru, go sailing) repair. The repair was done poorly and then done again. It is a repair without considering the materials. You want spreaders to be light weight. Yet strong where needed. If the repairs were done as conjectured, then I would want to inspect the stay for damage. If the stay did wear the holes long then it is possible that the strands of the stay were damaged while the boat was sailed.
  2. The gooseneck... may be inserted in the boom upside down. This is based on the SS ring welded to the slide. It could be rigged with the ring up - as a cunningham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunningham_(sailing)) to run a line up the luff of the sail and back down pull the sail luff tight (you would need to examine your sail), but more likely it is rigged with the ring down and used as a downhaul to pull down on the boom until the boom is level and the sail luff is then tensioned using the halyard. Either way you adjust the luff of the sail to optimize the sail performance.
  3. I am of the opinion that the rig does not use a backstay. First because the tiller is in the way (unless the rig had a split back stay) and the positions of the port and starboard stays (shouds) are back far enough to support the stress on the mast against the foe stay. Clues (picture missing) would be the on the top of the mast. Is there a fitting and wire on the aft end of the mast head to rig a back stay? The pictures I found online do not indicate a back stay. My 15 Montgomery was rigged in a similar manner. Note when it comes time to tune your rig I would expect the boat to sail faster if the stays are somewhat loose.
  4. Lastly... It is called a boom because that's the sound it makes as it sweeps across the boat and impacts unaware crew. Rule #1 for all family and crew... Beware of the Boom! Now for convenience you can and should rig a way to hold the boom up when the sail is not doing that work. (Under sail the end of the boom is held up by the end (clew) of the Main sail.) For this (Topping Lift) sailors rig a block at at the top of the mast and run a halyard down the mast with a shackle (snap shackle works well for this purpose) on one end to attach to the end of the boom and a cleat on the mast near the base to tie it off. Then you can raise and lower the end of the boom to keep it out of the way while you are sitting in the cockpit sipping a cool drink and relishing in the feeling of being a yacht owner.
Rig that boat and get out on the water. Send pictures. Some of us are freezing up here in the north and need a boat distraction.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Neighbors of mine just bought a Sanibel 18 last Sunday. I can drive by and look at that boat and see if it has a back stay- I don't recall one, but could have.

Agree on adding a topping lift- easiest way to hold boom up. Those pigtails hanging from the backstay are dangerous things. When I was associated with a sailboat shop, we ALWAYS cut them off and rigged a topping lift.

I'll see if I can photo his spreader attachment also

Might be tomorrow before I can get to it

Oct 22, 2014
That would help him... But Charlie... Remember your health... Are you supposed to be running around?

Mar 1, 2012
That would help him... But Charlie... Remember your health... Are you supposed to be running around?
lol walking is part of my PT :) But I'll drive there on my way to the fishing center this evening where they have Friday specials on ribeye's and baked potato:)

Oct 22, 2014
Oh.. That sound like a healthy man's diet... Way to recover...

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
the spreader looks wrong
Looks like one of the smaller Dwyer spreaders to me. The ones on my Gloucester have an aluminum fitting that the shroud rests in, but the little ones just have a slot in the tubing for the shroud with a hole inboard for wire.

The gooseneck … more likely it is rigged with the ring down and used as a downhaul
That's how it's done on West Wight Potters.

Jan 30, 2019
Thanks for all the replies and info, if the sun is still up when I get home I'll take better pictures. From what I've read the sanibels carried the same/similar sail plan as the potter 19's. That might be another option for a visual on the rigging and spreaders. What's a good website to go to for replacement parts and any upgrades? I've found the west marine site (lots of neat stuff there) but was curious about any others.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
What's a good website to go to for replacement parts and any upgrades? I've found the west marine site (lots of neat stuff there) but was curious about any others.
Our hosts here at sailboatowners.com are a good source. And it's nice to give them a little business to say thanks for hosting such a valuable site.

Oct 22, 2014
@Unsupervised there are several sites.
  1. SBO Store right here.
  2. Defender. An online source
  3. West Marine. Stores and online.
  4. Fisheries Supply. An online source.
  5. Local Sailboat chandler.

Jan 30, 2019
I didn't know SBO had a store! That's awesome, definitely gonna check that out in the morning with my coffee. I'm currently ankle deep under the cockpit spraying vinegar to fight some mold. Once I get her clean and presentable I'm gonna get a few "as is" pictures and then add the "as I refurbish" pictures so everyone can see the progress. Little side note- cleaned 3yrs of oak tree grime off the mast and boom, they are looking good, now on to the boat. Other than proper ventilation and inspection vigilance, any other suggestions for the mold situation (and prevention there of) in a sailboat cabin?

Mar 1, 2012
Got nasty, wet and cloudy, and wind jumped into almost 20, so didn't take any pics-But- the boat has no backstay- has swept back spreaders. Does have a topping lift.

Have to go back later when it isn't wet and cold to take pics of spreader ends. bot is outside.