New Forums: Questions, Suggestions, Comments

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@JRacer - there are two screens that display new posts:

What's New: What's new
This display does not have filters available but it does have a View More... link at the bottom

Recent Activity: Recent Activity{random number}
This view has filters but does not have a View More... link, just page numbers at the bottom.

So based on that there could be two potential problems:

- Somehow I've got a link mislabeled and it's pointing to the wrong display

- You may be in one view when you think you're in the other

Could be other things too but let's start there. Thanks!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
@JRacer - there are two screens that display new posts:

What's New: What's new
This display does not have filters available but it does have a View More... link at the bottom

Recent Activity: Recent Activity{random number}
This view has filters but does not have a View More... link, just page numbers at the bottom.

So based on that there could be two potential problems:

- Somehow I've got a link mislabeled and it's pointing to the wrong display

- You may be in one view when you think you're in the other

Could be other things too but let's start there. Thanks!
I think you have it but noit sure I made clear the issue.

When I come in through "What's New", I see 10 posts (no filters). At the bottom, I click the "View More" and it takes me to the multiple page display - no filters. But, on that display, if I look at the top bar, the "Recent Activity" tab is underscored (with no filters set). Implication is that I am in "Recent Activity" not "What's New". With the "recent activity" underscored, I expect to be in that tab and in that tab, I should have filters set. Am I making sense?

The problem appears to be that when the "view More" is executed, it's changing the (active) tab reference from "What's New" to "recent Activity".

Or, if in fact when I click the "View More" button I AM being taken to the "Recent Activity" pages, then why don't the filters apply?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Well, no wonder we're confused. This is like Inception, the movie, and the top is still spinning.

The jump to Recent Activity is a feature, apparently. But regarding the filters, if you scroll to the bottom of the Filters link on the What's New page, you'll see a checkbox to make the selected filters your default. That should make them "sticky."

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Well, no wonder we're confused. This is like Inception, the movie, and the top is still spinning.

The jump to Recent Activity is a feature, apparently. But regarding the filters, if you scroll to the bottom of the Filters link on the What's New page, you'll see a checkbox to make the selected filters your default. That should make them "sticky."
I am not seeing a "Filters" link on the bottom of the "What's New" page. Sorry, Prt Scrn captures both monitors, hope you can see the forum page.
1566858273343.png

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
My bad @JRacer , I'm confusing myself now. At the top of the Recent Activity screen there is a link for Filters (right side).

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 3.48.40 PM.png

Click Filters: at the bottom is a box to check to make the filters your default. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 3.48.50 PM.png

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
My bad @JRacer , I'm confusing myself now. At the top of the Recent Activity screen there is a link for Filters (right side).

View attachment 168862

Click Filters: at the bottom is a box to check to make the filters your default. It looks like this:

View attachment 168863
Yes. I have the "Unread" set as a fliter and checked as a default. And, that works when I open the "Recent Activity" page from the tab at the top. It does not work when I wind up in "Recent Activity" via the "View More" link at the bottom of the "New Posts" page - if I come in to "recent activity" from that direction, no filters applied and no "Filters" button at the top of the page. Must click the "recent Activity" tab to have filters show up.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Okay, I think I finally have it. Sorry to take the long way around!

It's doing the same for me. I'll check with the Xenforo folks and see what they have to say about it.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
On the legacy iPad (like how I did that?) running iOS 9 something or other, the backspace key is absolutely useless. It will work through one or maybe two words immediately to the left of the cursor, but no further. Very strange behaviour.

On another note, is there any locational data for cookies in iOS? Or do you just totally wipe the history and data in preferences and hope for the best.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Ok, this one is odd. An hour or so ago, I looked at the new posts, marked as read all those I was not interested in, and actually read the first (and only) post in Phil's new thread "Most Embarrassing Moments".

When I hit "new posts" again to check one last time, the "Most Embarrassing Moments" thread popped up again, even though no new post had been made. So I marked that thread as read, and got the confirmation message that it had been so marked.

I have now come back to check new posts, got a short list, and at the bottom of the list was, once again, the "Most Embarrassing Moments" thread, even though it showed no replies had been posted. So I opened the thread, and verified that only Phil's post was there. Hmm, why would it come up as new posts? I thought. Using my back button, I went back to the list of threads and marked this thread as read (but I didn't notice this time if I got the confirmation message). I then asked for "new posts" and the thread was returned again, even though the page showed zero replies to the OP.

So I marked it as read again, got the confirmation message, asked for "new posts", and this time was told there were no new posts. Very strange.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Those weekly posts by Phil have always been a little strange like that. With the old version I think Phil said it had something to do with the way those posts are prepared ahead of time and then released on a certain date. Once someone replies to the thread it behaves like a normal post.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Sorry if this has been answered. I understand that a phone app will be available soon. Is it out yet? If so what is the name of the app for android? And if not out yet, is there a target date?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
It's been delayed. I can't tell for sure if the delay was caused by the developer or the stores, but they are submitted for approval and pending. Both Apple and Google are vague about how long it takes to get approval but we should be close.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It's been delayed. I can't tell for sure if the delay was caused by the developer or the stores, but they are submitted for approval and pending. Both Apple and Google are vague about how long it takes to get approval but we should be close.
OK, Phil, I got it. I was just thinking I may have missed the notification that it was available.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Sure, this is fine, or there's another (shorter) thread about the app in this forum, but either place is good.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Are push notifications not available on iOS? Having just switched back drom Android yesterday i wee this -
E411FAF3-D8BB-4B6A-836A-BCBF8B9A6F8A.png

From what I can tell this is an iOS limitation, but just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
From what I can tell this is an iOS limitation, but just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything?
That's correct. Push notifications are not available on Safari for Mac and iOS devices. According to Xenforo, everyone else uses a standardized method but Apple has its own thing going. I'm not sure why Xenforo can't work with the Apple requirements, but they can't. However, if Apple ever decides to comply with the standards notifications will automatically work on their hardware, too.