New Forums: Questions, Suggestions, Comments

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Sorry, the limit got changed when we updated the software! Max uploads are now 4Mb and a maximum of 2000 pixels either height or width.
Bummer no more high def large pictures where I can zoom in to see stitching on sails? Is there an easy way to resize from your phone? If not perhaps something for the future as I don't often have time to resize / crop / or reduce image sizes on my computer to post them. Thanks for all your work Phil. Rember "growth is progress".

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
an odd issue - when i press on "mark thread read", it does it (with a message), but it opens the thread (topic) anyway.

sorry, apparently an old issue. I should have read all posts before posting myself.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@SFS, it's already changed to indefinite.
I saw that soon after posting, so I should have kept reading. However, I'm glad I posted because it let me observe the following, in case it matters:

As soon as I "submitted my reply", it showed me my post. Which made me think it had dumped me to the end of the thread (page 8 at the time), when I had previously been on (roughly) page 4 or 5. That sort of irritated me, but when I scrolled up from that location, I saw my post (#157), then #156, then a blue-background announcement saying there were unread posts. I did not immediately register this announcement.

As I continued scrolling up, the next post was (approximately) #100. I was briefly confused, wondering what happened to 50+ posts, but then I registered the announcement. But to continue reading those unread posts, I had to scroll back down past my new post, and click on the "next" page button.

So, is this immediate presentation of a new post a feature or a bug, and if a feature, does the potential for confusion and/or causing the reader to unknowingly skip a portion of a thread (if he misses the announcement) outweigh the benefit of the feature?

Sorry for the length of the post- I'm on my phone and getting it all down quickly was more important than going back and editing for brevity and flow.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There used to be a quick link “back” to the forum list..like O’Day Bigger Boats or O’Day forums I thought. I see it at the top of the thread in the new version, but I have to scroll all the way back up to see it.

That was one of the greatest shortcuts.

I could be reading a thread, and jump right back to the thread list in the specific forum I was in.

Greg

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I could be reading a thread, and jump right back to the thread list in the specific forum I was in.
There's a "Forum Menu" button in the bottom right corner of every post I'm seeing on my laptop.
Haven't checked other devices yet.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
There used to be a quick link “back” to the forum list..like O’Day Bigger Boats or O’Day forums I thought. I see it at the top of the thread in the new version, but I have to scroll all the way back up to see it.

That was one of the greatest shortcuts.

Greg
There is an up arrow in the footer. That will quickly bring you from the bottom to the top, where you can click on the forum title. Also if you just scroll a little you should see arrows in the bottom right corner of your screen to jump to the bottom or top.

Jan 7, 2011
There is an up arrow in the footer. That will quickly bring you from the bottom to the top, where you can click on the forum title. Also if you just scroll a little you should see arrows in the bottom right corner of your screen to jump to the bottom or top.
That may be helpful. I don’t know where the Forum Menu takes me...not where I want to go ;-(.

Too bad the up arrow doesn’t take you “ up a level” in the forum hierarchy...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
That is what the Forum Menu does, it takes you up one level back to the ORIGINAL forum of the post, not where you came from. I use Recent Activity to monitor what is going on on the entire board. If I click on Forum Menu now it will take me to Forum Help (Site Talk), not where I came from which was Recent Activity. So to some it is helpful, but to me I have to use the Backspace key to go back to Recent Activity.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
That is what the Forum Menu does, it takes you up one level back to the ORIGINAL forum of the post, not where you came from. I use Recent Activity to monitor what is going on on the entire board. If I click on Forum Menu now it will take me to Forum Help (Site Talk), not where I came from which was Recent Activity. So to some it is helpful, but to me I have to use the Backspace key to go back to Recent Activity.
Also in the footer is a "Recent forum Activity" link. That will take you to where you want to go (if I'm understanding you correctly). That's the one I use all the time.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Returning into the world of ‘some’ data,
Tom... you just need to get a bigger antenna and maybe add a booster... Oh and perhaps you need walls and a roof around the window. I know you love the out doors but that looks a bit extreme...

Feb 17, 2006
Also in the footer is a "Recent forum Activity" link. That will take you to where you want to go (if I'm understanding you correctly). That's the one I use all the time.
Yeah, you are correct. I was just using how I move around as an example with regards to the Forum Menu link.

Feb 17, 2006
Tom... you just need to get a bigger antenna and maybe add a booster... Oh and perhaps you need walls and a roof around the window. I know you love the out doors but that looks a bit extreme...
That is the new Windows11 logo.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
1565997608029.png

I created my custom forum but the Catalina Capri 22 header remains. Nothing visible if I click the link. Very low priority issue.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Bummer no more high def large pictures where I can zoom in to see stitching on sails? Is there an easy way to resize from your phone? If not perhaps something for the future as I don't often have time to resize / crop / or reduce image sizes on my computer to post them. Thanks for all your work Phil. Rember "growth is progress".

I don’t think we have ever allowed uploads much larger than 4 megs, but you can always host them elsewhere and embed the image here.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I saw that soon after posting, so I should have kept reading. However, I'm glad I posted because it let me observe the following, in case it matters:

As soon as I "submitted my reply", it showed me my post. Which made me think it had dumped me to the end of the thread (page 8 at the time), when I had previously been on (roughly) page 4 or 5. That sort of irritated me, but when I scrolled up from that location, I saw my post (#157), then #156, then a blue-background announcement saying there were unread posts. I did not immediately register this announcement.

As I continued scrolling up, the next post was (approximately) #100. I was briefly confused, wondering what happened to 50+ posts, but then I registered the announcement. But to continue reading those unread posts, I had to scroll back down past my new post, and click on the "next" page button.

So, is this immediate presentation of a new post a feature or a bug, and if a feature, does the potential for confusion and/or causing the reader to unknowingly skip a portion of a thread (if he misses the announcement) outweigh the benefit of the feature?

Sorry for the length of the post- I'm on my phone and getting it all down quickly was more important than going back and editing for brevity and flow.
I may be wrong but I think it always did that.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@SFS I’ve been thinking about your earlier post and it does sound like a bug. It may also be related to the redirect problem with the Mark Read button. Thanks for taking the time to post the details, it’s a big help.

Jan 7, 2011
It looks like the “Mark as Read” on the message list is working now.

Thanks!

Greg