New Campbell Sailer Prop

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
With the backside of the shaft nut pink, I’d replace it. That old prop is in tough shape. It must have vibrated like crazy!
It was very smooth at all rpm.

I've got a new prop nut.

Yesterday I forgot the new prop nut, today I forgot my wallet. It's always something.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I ordered a new prop a few weeks ago from West by North. They are super responsive to email. They also knew exactly what prop I needed. I just received it today. It was supposed to arrive yesterday according to DHL, but it didn't. On a positive note the box was in great shape. I'm not very impressed with DHL though.

3 blade RH 14 x 8.5
3YM20
2008 Beneteau 31

I'll let you know how I like the new prop.
Really interested in your experience with the 3 blade Campbell Sailor prop.

I am thinking about a new prop for my 32’ O’Day 322. Currently running a 14x14R 2 blade Michigan. I have a Yanmar 2GM20F engine, 1 cylinder less than you run.

I have quotes from Max-Prop for a 3-blade ($3,100), a 2-blade ($2,250) and a flex-o-fold 2-blade folding ($1,445).

I don’t really motor much, so have a hard time justifying a 3-blade anything…but a 2-blade feathering Max-prop is high on the list.

I am more interested in trying to get an extra 1/2 knot of speed in light winds.

With the significantly smaller blades on the CS, I am curious if there is any difference in speed in light winds.

The other thing I think that the Max-Prop offers is more bite in reverse…which would be good.

so, keep use posted once you get her out on the water.

Thanks,

Greg

Jul 23, 2009
The prop is on! Slightly smoother than the beat up old prop. Seems to have less prop walk. Looks like I picked up about 200 rpm and lost a couple tenths of a knot top speed. So it might be a little under proped.

Jul 23, 2009
Today I was sailing about 4 knots and I shifted the transmission in and out of gear. I could not tell a difference in speed. With the old prop it was 1/2 knot slower in gear.

Jul 23, 2009
Now that I've had the new prop on for a while, here are my thoughts.

1. It seems to be a little faster under sail .
2. It might have a little less prop walk.
3. It is slower and has less bite under power.

I like the prop but it's a little under sized. The manufacturer was super responsive to email up until is suggested that it wasn't loading the engine enough. I have used an optical tach to verify this.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Now that I've had the new prop on for a while, here are my thoughts.

1. It seems to be a little faster under sail .
2. It might have a little less prop walk.
3. It is slower and has less bite under power.

I like the prop but it's a little under sized. The manufacturer was super responsive to email up until is suggested that it wasn't loading the engine enough. I have used an optical tach to verify this.
One reason I went with the MaxProp…I think mine is pitched a little less than I would like, and when I haul out in the fall, I will be able to tweak the pitch just a little. It is very smooth under power, feathers easily to add about .5 knots speed in light air, and the reverse thrust is fantastic.

IMG_2366.jpeg IMG_2363.jpeg

Greg