New boat owner... need help... fresh water not working

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
i would drain the entire tank. might help. can't hurt.
make sure you pump the bilge well afterwards.
close the dump valve (pressure relief valve) and the drain cock if that is what you have..
Refill the hot water tank before turning on the hot water heater.
you may have to flush your hot water heater twice if it is that bad.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Here is a picture of the water tank with the lines I figured out labeled. When I flip the pressure relief valve arm, water comes out of the outlet. I'm not sure how much water is in there but it definitely smells bad... sort of chemically like perhaps old antifreeze.
That looks pretty much the same as the 2014 model. The part on top with the know is the thermostatic mixing valve.

Like cymeyer said it won’t hurt to drain it all. Can’t be more than 6 gallons.

Since you seem to have at least some water in the tank I’d suspect that valve could be clogged. You can try to take the outlet off it and blow through the hot water line to confirm air comes out a faucet. That would help narrow down the problem.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Here is a picture of the water tank with the lines I figured out labeled. When I flip the pressure relief valve arm, water comes out of the outlet. I'm not sure how much water is in there but it definitely smells bad... sort of chemically like perhaps old antifreeze.
thanks… as @Davidasailor26 said, you have a mixing valve on the hot outlet... that could be clogged.

I would try to drain the tank ( I usually remove the cold inlet to pressurize the tank with an air compressor, and open the drain)…see what comes out. Then I think I would remove the hit out from the mixing valve, apply some air and see if the valve is clogged…if so, try pushing air into rye valve from the HW outlet.

Greg

May 27, 2021
Beneteau 37 Chesapeake Bay
Hot water is fixed. Thank you everyone for the help. I disconnected the hose where it goes into the tank and confirmed that there was plenty of water pressure when the pump was turned on. I noticed an arrow on the fitting that the water inlet hose was attached to. I figureed that might have been clogged so I removed the fitting and sure enough, the one way valve was stuck closed. I freed it up and put it all back together.

The pump ran for about 30 seconds as the tank filled up. I made sure to run enough water through it to completely flush it out. I also turned on the hot water switch and about 10 minutes later I had hot water. Confirmed that the head and swim platform shower both worked too.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Man that is a success. Follow the water flow and find the clog... Novel concept. Well done.

Works for fuel lines as well should that arise.

May you enjoy warm showers long into the night...