New boat owner... need help... fresh water not working

May 27, 2021
Beneteau 37 Chesapeake Bay
Your boat is 12 years old and has not been used in three years. Bet that the water pump rubber impeller and rubber valve assemblies inside the pump need to be replaced.
By all means, you can flush the lines to make sure that the lines are not blocked and to ensure there isn’t an air lock. Don’t bother emptying the tanks yet because you can drain, flush, & sanitize them once the pump is operational.
You will have to decide on rebuilding the existing pump or buying a new pump. The rubber impeller and rubber valve assemblies will cost approximately $80 including shipping; a new pump will cost approximately $140. Just went through this same issue a few months ago & decided to replace the oem Shurflo pump. If you replace the pump, be sure to buy one from the same manufacturer with same flow output to simplify the installation. Don’t bother with the expense of dealing with the yard, you can fix this!
Thanks for your response. I should have mentioned that the pump was replaced prior to sale, so it's brand new. Apparently the yard that did that work though never checked to make sure the water system worked after replacing it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh Kodiak.
BMW’s it is a love hate relationship.
(BMW - Boat Marine Worker- not the car but I hear the relationship info might also apply to the car experience):biggrin:

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Congrats on your new to you boat. Since you're getting just a trickle of water out of the strainer, and since that happens with either tank, looks to me like it's clogged at the manifold. Can you disconnect the inlet side of the strainer and see if you get a good flow ? If not, try blowing some air in the hose to see if you can push the clog back towards the tank. If that doesn't work, disconnect the inlet from one of the tank into the manifold and blow air in it. Try it with the other one also. If either one lets you make air bubbles in the tanks, then your problem is at the manifold. Since the pump is new I would suspect that you have a blockage somewhere. Could be dirt or a plugged up air vent, but as a previous poster said it's doubtful that vents of both tanks would be plugged. Good luck

Last edited:

lbess

Aug 9, 2007
Beneteau 331 Frederikssund DK
on mine B331 2001 there ia a non return valve n the line coming from the tank connected to the manifold, had to change that for years ago as not a lot of water was coming through. seems to same setup on the 37

Oct 22, 2014
non return valve
Also known as a “ check valve”. It limits the flow to one direction. When working wonderful. Can get clogged and or fail. Or be installed backwards.

May 27, 2021
on mine B331 2001 there ia a non return valve n the line coming from the tank connected to the manifold, had to change that for years ago as not a lot of water was coming through. seems to same setup on the 37
Thanks... Is it near the manifold? I can see where each line connects to the manifold, but I don't see any check valves.

Oct 22, 2014
The typical check valve that I have seen is often of brass.
1625155813188.png

The arrow identifies the direction of flow. It would be nice if the install put the valve near the manifold or near the outgo of a tank. But that is not always what happens.

Sometimes you just need to follow the hoses until you discover the issue.

I would start at the tank. Make sure nothing in the tank is stopping the water from being released into the hoses. Then just follow the hoses looking for the issue.

May 27, 2021
Thanks again for all the help. I got the cold water working, but when I put the faucet in the hot water position, the flow slows and eventually stops. The problem I resolved was a clog at the one way valve right after the manifold and before the strainer. There was some sort of white, almost paper like substance clogging everything up. I had to remove the one way valve, clear it out and reconnect everything. I also disconnected each water line right before the switch on the manifold and let it drain into the bilge until there was no more white paper stuff coming out. I ended up having to clean out the strainer and one way valve several times before I could get a consistent flow of water, but now the strainer is staying clean so hopefully I got it all out.

Not sure what the problem is with the hot water though. There is like a pressure relief or bleeder valve that I flipped, and water comes out.

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Well that’s some progress. The valve you flipped is a pressure relief, and it’s attached basically where the cold water comes into the tank.
Are you sure you’ve let all of the air get pumped out of the tank? The hot water outlet is at the top, so it needs to be pretty full before all the air is displaced. When the water stops flowing does the pump stop? If the pump stops you might have a clog somewhere in the hot water circuit. If the pump keeps running it’s probably still just filling the tank.

If there is a clog my guess is that it could be in the thermostatic mixing valve on the outlet. I’ve never had the valve apart but I’m guessing that’s probably got more restrictions to catch debris than other places in the hot circuit.

Also, don’t turn on the electric to the heater until you have that sorted. If there is still air in the tank you don’t want to risk burning the element.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
On the hot water tank, I would drain the tank and refill with clean water. Make sure the pressure relief valve is closed and the drain valve is closed before you turn on your hot water.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A photo of the WH connections could be useful…is there any manifolds or temperature mixing devices attached near the WH? I would be tracing the hot water line from the heater to the nearest faucet snd see if there is another valve or fitting that is plugged up. Whatever was in your cold water line is certainly in your hot water lines.

Good luck.You are making progress!

Greg

Jul 3, 2021
beneteau 40.1 Anacortes
Nice, whatever that white gunk is sounds like the problem unfortunately is all around the hot water plumbing too. You might try getting all the faucets open hot and cold and running the water free, then shut off the hot at furthest fixture first work back to closest fixture to pump/manifold closing the hot valve (if there’s more than two) but leave the closest to pump/ manifold hot open (usually the galley sink) Then with all the cold water still flowing full to all fixtures close them starting at the furthest from pump back to closest. One at a time close them all.

The clog still might not break free, but each time you choke off the flowing water at the discharge of a running pump, you get a momentary pressure surge that will be pushing against whatever’s clogging the hot flow.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
@kodiak1120 - you are a special contributor because you told us (part of) the resolution to the problem! Many people take the multiple suggestions, and get it to work (or give up an replace the thing) and we never hear back. You've made everyone here smarter, plus the people who will find this thread in five years and read what worked. Many thanks.

May 27, 2021
@kodiak1120 - you are a special contributor because you told us (part of) the resolution to the problem! Many people take the multiple suggestions, and get it to work (or give up an replace the thing) and we never hear back. You've made everyone here smarter, plus the people who will find this thread in five years and read what worked. Many thanks.
Hahaha! Yes, I always try to do that. I've responded to my own posts on other forums and messaging boards even when no one else responded for that very reason. Nothing worse than finding some obscure reference to the exact some problem you are having and reading 15+ post replies and never finding out what the resolution was.

May 27, 2021
A photo of the WH connections could be useful…is there any manifolds or temperature mixing devices attached near the WH? I would be tracing the hot water line from the heater to the nearest faucet and see if there is another valve or fitting that is plugged up. Whatever was in your cold water line is certainly in your hot water lines.

Good luck.You are making progress!

Greg
Photo attached. Nothing in terms of a manifold or mixing device that I can tell. It looks like the water goes into the manifold, through the strainer, to the pump, and then from there the line splits with one branch going to the hot water heater. I'm not sure the white stuff is able to make it past the strainer, which is I why I'm not sure it's the same problem. As you can see from the picture, the white stuff is kind of big. I think I need to just disconnect the water line where it goes into the tank and see if that is free. If it is, then disconnect it where it leaves the tank, and see if that is free. And then just follow the line from there until I find a clog. I'm worried the hot water tank is bad and the problem is inside the tank.

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
The suggestion to empty the WH and refill with clean water is a good one. Open the drain, and flip up the pressure relief valve, also open a hot water faucet (that will insure you get some air in the WH and thus drain it completely. Do turn off the water pressure breaker otherwise the pump will keep bringing water in the WH. Once you're sure it's empty, take a look and see if there is a check valve on the hot water system to prevent hot water from getting into the cold water side (many boats have that). Even though you say that white stuff could not get past the strainer, that might be an assumption on your part. Once you find that other check valve, dissassemble and clean. Reconnect everything and refill the WH (leave faucet open to purge all air off the WH and system until nothing but clean water comes out of the system). Good luck

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
It looks like fat scum, or maybe a used condom.. Not something you want in your water system.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Photo attached. Nothing in terms of a manifold or mixing device that I can tell. It looks like the water goes into the manifold, through the strainer, to the pump, and then from there the line splits with one branch going to the hot water heater. I'm not sure the white stuff is able to make it past the strainer, which is I why I'm not sure it's the same problem. As you can see from the picture, the white stuff is kind of big. I think I need to just disconnect the water line where it goes into the tank and see if that is free. If it is, then disconnect it where it leaves the tank, and see if that is free. And then just follow the line from there until I find a clog. I'm worried the hot water tank is bad and the problem is inside the tank.
Ok. I meant a photo of the water heater and connections…I need visuals ;-)

if the water pump is on, and you can get to the T&P valve on the tank, you can flip it open and water should come out if water pressure is making it to the tank. Otherwise, you can remove the inlet hose and see if you flood the boat.

Assuming you can get water into the tank, flushing and draining it is a good idea. Will be interesting to see if the water will drain out the water heater drain…

Greg

May 27, 2021
Ok. I meant a photo of the water heater and connections…I need visuals ;-)

if the water pump is on, and you can get to the T&P valve on the tank, you can flip it open and water should come out if water pressure is making it to the tank. Otherwise, you can remove the inlet hose and see if you flood the boat.

Assuming you can get water into the tank, flushing and draining it is a good idea. Will be interesting to see if the water will drain out the water heater drain…

Greg
Here is a picture of the water tank with the lines I figured out labeled. When I flip the pressure relief valve arm, water comes out of the outlet. I'm not sure how much water is in there but it definitely smells bad... sort of chemically like perhaps old antifreeze.

Attachments