New Boat Owner Help

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Hello all boat owners. I just purchased a 1979 Legnos Mystic 30 cutter! It looks to be in very good shape. I got it for an insane low price! I can't believe it actually. It is my dream boat. I have some questions for the forum, the boat is on the hard in Ipswich, MA. I am in Central Florida. It is the first week in December and cold. I am hoping and praying to be able or allowed to leave the boat where it is next to the previous owners house for the winter. But in case that is not the case I need help finding a mover and a storage location for the boat. I am the reverse of a wealthy man. Does anyone know whom can lift a boat onto a trailer and reblock it in a yard for the winter for a reasonable fee? It is on stands now but I don't know if I will get the stands too? The owner died and the widow is getting rid of the boat. Does anyone know from that area how much money I am looking at here? How do you New Englanders do it every year? It is very close to the coast and it may be that a very near by marina drives the travel lift over to the house and picks it up? I haven't spoke to the widow yet. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
She's a beauty. I can see why you are excited.

Welcome to the best forum for sailors and sailboat lovers anywhere. There is so much help, expertise and comradery here, you will feel like you are getting your money's worth every day. ;)

A couple of questions, to satisfy my curiosity. Have you seen the boat in person? Why is the boat on the hard in the owner's yard without a trailer? and ... How did the owner usually store the boat for the Winter?

I don't have any knowledge about the costs that you are asking about, but I'm sure you will get some great help. In the mean time, have you looked into the cost of delivery? You may find it is competitive with a Winter storage fee, if you have more affordable facilities in Fl.

Congratulations and good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Lovely looking cruising boat unfortunately not in the right part of the world to offer any insight to your questions. Good luck getting her to her new home.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I would think the same hydraulic trailer that set it there could pick up and bring to you. Or any hydraulic transport trailer

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
thanks for the reply Dragonfly! I spoke with the widow briefly and she is not much help? Not sure of any of it as it was her husbands thing. So i guess I will ask the forumites who they recommend for 1: lift and short transport to nearby yard for storage. 2:best budget storage yard near Ipswich, MA 3: best lift and long haul company to bring it south. 4: best budget storage yard closest to New Port Richey, FL-north of Tampa 5: thoughts of having it launched in Ipswich this summer and sailing it south in stages of 2 week trips? My head is swimming. Oh, no I have not seen the vessel in person.

Jul 24, 2006
yes whatfiero1 that was what I thought. But so far widow of owner not helpful. said oh gosh I don't know. Hoping for someone local to Ipswich for suggestions?

Jul 24, 2006
google says its 1370 miles from door to door?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I love the lines of the bow. Sort of looks like a whale breeching ....sexy boat.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Many folks in New England store their boats in their yards, and hire a local boat moving outfit to bring the boat home. Some companies are based in marinas, but others are not. Most use an hydraulic trailer, such as a Brownell, and their fees are reasonable. Sorry to say, I am not familiar with the North Shore area of MA, but a Google search should yield several options for you.
If you intend to sail/motor the boat south, better to plan on keeping the boat in the North Shore area for at least a season while you outfit her and make any necessary repairs.
I have made the trip from the Tampa Bay area to MA in as little as six weeks via the ICW, but that was a hard trip, being out in tough conditions at times. Figure on closer to 2000 miles for that trip. On my return trip, I took two and a half months, and stopped at a lot of cool places, like Charleston, and enjoyed the trip.
Congratulations on your new boat. Exciting times ahead!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
best budget storage yard closest to New Port Richey, FL-north of Tampa
I am originally from Clearwater, just South of you. I live in NH, just an hours drive from Canada and am in Puerto Rico at the moment.

I would look in Tarpon Springs for a good place to haul. Maybe Yankee Town would have a cheap dock availible, if that's close enough. I don't know, but I never got the impression New Port Richie was inexpensive.

-Will (Dragonfly)

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I would at least talk to the local boat yards. They may have recommendations and good info. The questions are free..
Here is a yelp page.

I bought out B411 from a Yacht Salvage donation and they appear to have a sister company that does transport

You have several scenarios to consider:
1 Leave as-is till spring - probably need to tarp/cover the boat to prevent ice collection/expansion in the cockpit. Transport in the spring to you
2 Transport now to you - obviously need a good yard destination and winter storage option

3 Transport now to SC - out of the worst of winter . Store there and sail South in the spring
need a good yard destination and winter storage option

• Helpful

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
4: best budget storage yard closest to New Port Richey, FL-north of Tampa
As Will mentioned, Tarpon Springs would be a good choice if New Port Richey doesn't work for you. There are several yards on the Anclote River with railways that can haul your boat and storage fees are reasonable. Tarpon Springs is a cool town to hang out in, too.

Jul 24, 2006
lots of good advice, thank you! I just spoke with the widow for 20 mins. She knows a local guy who got the boat in the past and stored in his lot. Andrew. She is attempting to contact him-hard she says. She really wants it out of the yard as she doesn't want to fret about it over the winter and storms and all-a big one on the way she says! uncovered. And she gave me the name of a company who has hauled the boat previously-Jocelyn marine services, and I will contact them, asap. Keep um coming y'all, I have to figure something out, one that won't bleed money preferred!
As another caveat, the Volvo MD7A was running 6-7 years ago when put up but I think now is seized. She said Andrew pulled injector and squirted Marvel mystery oil but couldnt pull the other injector. Always something. I knew the engine wasnt working when I bought it. On the possitive side she says there is tons and tons of stuff that goes with the boat, cushions, sails, some new, garmin, gps , chartplotter, anchor, need a truck to haul it all! Also, Andrew drilled a hole in the bottom for drainage, so I have to install a drain plug thingy. Tarpon springs is nice, but they are pricey and snobbish in my opinion. I would settle for a spot in a field if safe from thieves/vandals. Any place closer to me is better than east MA I think? depends on how much a mile they get? Some cheap place around N/S Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, N Florida maybe. Indiantown used to be cheap but I think they raised prices sky high of late? I have heard Green cove springs is reasonable and about 4 hour drive from me. I have high top conversion van with bed for sleeping, so no biggy there. I have outboard and mount if it comes to that but I think it would be evil to mess with such a beautiful wineglass bum! thanks all. we will figure out something I just know it.

Jul 24, 2006
I would even consider launching and anchoring out for free if a safe place exists? How far south you have to go to winter over on the hook?