Need to buy a battery

jhogle

Sep 16, 2016
Catalina 22 Topeka
I need to pick out a battery for my Catalina 22. Are there any brands / models that people typically use on their C22's? Any special things I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Group 24 deep cycle lead acid will do just fine, marine version will have the screw type terminals for wire attachment.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a trailer sailor for 10 years and kept an Optima AGM on board. Outgassing is negligible, and the battery won't freeze so you can leave it on the boat all year. More expensive than a deep cycle lead acid.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Three recommendations:
1) Estimate your daily power usage and charging capacity (e.g. a reasonable estimate of output from a solar panel or how often you'll have shore power). This will help you decide how much battery capacity you need. Remember that you shouldn't discharge a deep-cycle battery below 50%, so an 85 amp-hour battery is really good for (at most) ~42 Ah, or about 500 watt-hours. And 50% is the absolute minimum - the deeper you discharge, the sooner your battery will wear out.
2) Decide whether you want a 'flooded' battery or an AGM. AGMs can take a charge more quickly, don't offgas when charging (at least not when charged properly), can't leak acid if broken, etc. But (of course) they're more expensive.
3) Read whatever you can find of what @Maine Sail has to say about batteries (e.g.:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...ecommendation-for-a-c30t.163933/#post-1131570). Spend a little time on his featured-contributor forum. When I bought my batts, I got Lifeline AGMs, based on his comments. More recently, he's had great things to say about Firefly. Apparently they can be cycled safely below 50%, so you might not need as big a battery. They're expensive, but if you can buy a smaller battery, the cost might be about the same (and lighter, too).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
And get a smart charger so your new battery is managed correctly and doesn't get overcharged

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
While a group 24 may fit the bill for a few more dollars you can get a group 27 with around 20% more capacity. Get a battery labeled for deep discharge and stay away from dual purpose batteries and starting batteries (mostly used in power boats). I like lead/acid wet cell batteries as they are less expensive and less finicky than some of the other types plus if it fails you can get off the boat and purchase a replacement almost anywhere.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
You can get Duracell AGM batteries from Sams Club for approximately $179. Size group 31; 105 AH. Supposedly it is manufactured by the same co that makes West Marine batteries at a 30% discount.