Need source for shore power cord

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
My new Beneteau came with two shore power cords which have a 30 amp fitting for the shore plug in and a 50 amp female fitting for the boat end. Fine, but the cords are at least 50', if not 55', long. I need a pair which are only 25' long. What is a source to get cords like this?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Home depot or Lowes sells the ends for the cord . I wouldn't put a hardware store end out side in the weather the sealed factory one would be better exposed on the deck but the other would do ok on the dock power pole under those factor hoods they put on there so you could cut your exist cord in half and make 2

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
OK, I didn’t make myself clear. I want to keep the two 50’ cords for when I sail to other marinas where I may need the length. But in my home slip I only need 25’ cords. Half the weight and half the bother. Oh, and I wouldn’t buy cords meant for home use on a boat.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Any marine store has these cords or you can also try Camping World or a camper supply.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
The cord is 30 amp on one end and 50 amp on the other. The dealer says all the new boats have 50 amp fittings on the boat, but they know most US marinas have 30 amp supplies.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Ok so first I'm trying to give you options that's all trying to help out. By recommend buying a 50 amp cord marine rated And cutting the end off and installing a 30 amp on the other side. Now the hardware option I just threw out there because there product is the exact part # as one sold at the boat store half price but boat store sells fine product made by Hubble same as other store. Thanks

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Post some photos. You either have a pink unicorn, or a real problem this is not a standard configuration. No way a 37' boat needs 100 A service, and cords come in single flavors, 30A, 50A, (100A).

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Gunni: No, I am not mistaken. The boat has two AC circuits, one for the two cool/heat units and one for the rest of the boat. (Though I think one would have been sufficient.) The ends are different: After getting the boat into the home slip I purchased two 30 amp cords. They plugged into the shore power but did not fit into the boat’s connections. I took a picture of the end of the dealer supplied cord and went back to West Marine. We determined it was a 30/50 cord. The next day I called the dealer and he confirmed the odd cord configuration.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Your loads are not unusual - 25A for A/C, 25A for House. Two 30A boat receptacles installed might be your best and easiest move. Then get two 25ft , 30A shore cords at the store. Done.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
.... We determined it was a 30/50 cord. The next day I called the dealer and he confirmed the odd cord configuration.
It's not all that uncommon to use a 30/50 adapter to connect a 50 amp boat to a 30 amp service in a marina that does not have 50 amp services available. Normally, a pigtail adapter is used with the boat's standard cord to make the conversion. This is a perfectly safe thing to do. It is also possible to make a cord that is permanently set up as a 30/50 with no additional pigtail needed. This is less expensive than purchasing a cord & a pigtail. The permanent adapter cord is more likely to be found on boats that are dock queens that do not travel to many unknown ports. The standard cord + pigtail gives you more options when you travel. The dedicated 30/50 cord is a one trick pony.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Try Amazon or maybe eBay. I bought a lightly used shore power cable as a spare and it was in very good shape.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My new Beneteau came with two shore power cords which have a 30 amp fitting for the shore plug in and a 50 amp female fitting for the boat end. Fine, but the cords are at least 50', if not 55', long. I need a pair which are only 25' long. What is a source to get cords like this?
I assume you live near HHN? I was at BaconSails/Annapolis yesterday, and they have OODLES/boxes of new and used cords AND pigtail/adapters. Or cut a 50-foot cord to 25/25, but that may cost the same as two 30s by the time you get new ends. AND, you probably can not fit a 50/6 cord into a 30 plug?

Last edited:

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Ron: I don't live near HHN, but our boat is there. I'll stop in at BaconSails and take a look; I had not heard of it before. Thanks.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
It's not all that uncommon to use a 30/50 adapter to connect a 50 amp boat to a 30 amp service in a marina that does not have 50 amp services available. Normally, a pigtail adapter is used with the boat's standard cord to make the conversion. This is a perfectly safe thing to do.
Two 50A boat receptacles means he is set up for 100A service - highly unlikely. His problem is that some genius decided to put two 50A receptacles on the boat end for two 30A boat service circuits. Which leaves him at risk that some future genius will connect 50A service to one or the other 30A circuits. At which point much drama ensues. You don’t remedy this situation with adapters, you wire the boat correctly.

I assume your dealer is AYS. Have them get it right. Alternatively MTS at HHN can get you right. Send the bill to AYS.

Jan 22, 2008
Gunni, I don't know why you keep saying his boat is wrong. It works, without using adapters, and that's the safe way to go. I'm surprised no one suggested he check the panel AC breakers' size, the wire from there to SP inlet, and the rating of the two protective breakers, probably in the lazz. And I wouldn't say it is "unlikely" he has the service that he says he has. OEM or rewired, it is what his boat needs and has. I trust his cords are 30/10. You wouldn't put a 30-amp plug on a 50 cicuit or power cord, so might as well use 30/10 and either replace the male end with a 50 for the boat input, or buy a 30 to 50 pigtail. Perhaps the boat is 50-wired- including input- IN CASE he has 50 SP? You would not put a 30-to-50 adapter on the dock expecting to have 50 amps on the boat.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
... By recommend buying a 50 amp cord marine rated And cutting the end off and installing a 30 amp on the other side. ..
You probably can not get a 50/6 cord into a 30 plug. Easiest/quickest way is to get one long or two shorter 30 cords, cut the female end off with a foot or two of cabe. Put female 50 on the cut cord. Make some kind adaptors for other use of the two females that you cut off.
Ron: I don't live near HHN, but our boat is there. I'll stop in at BaconSails and take a look; I had not heard of it before. .
If you go to Bacons, PM me and we can meet, maybe even for lunch?

Jan 24, 2013
Beneteau 49 Norfolk
My new Jeanneau is set up just like Dr. D - two 30 amp circuits, with two 50 amp connectors in the cockpit. The boat came with custom cables that had 30 amp sockets shore side and 50 amp at the boat. No explanation as to why. My "guess" is that the 50 amp connector is more robust and less likely to have connection problems that lead to fire that is (I understand) common on 30 amp connectors. Perhaps it was a cheaper way to go than using the SMART connectors.

I did have the same thought as Gunni - what if someone plugs in a 50 amp shore power cable? I'm not an electrician, but my understanding is that the circuit will only draw 30 amps, and the breaker will trip if a short or other cause creates a draw greater than 30 amps. I don't see the difference between that and plugging a 30 amp shore power cable into a 50 amp pedestal with an adapter.

Dr. D - please let me know if you find a solution for replacement cables. At this point, I am OK with the two supplied cables, but it's only a matter of time before I need a replacement.