Need some gundgeon/rudder help

Apr 25, 2016
Oday Mariner Inverness
Hi Clinton here,

I recently have discovered sailing fell in love with it and I'm trying to get a 1969 Oday Marinor back on the water.

i've been doing well varnishing, repainting, a little bit re-fiberglass the hole in the bottom of the hull and repaired the through hulls with proper Seacocks. My next project is repairing the Rudder and gudgeons.
I know a new router is in order as well as a new lower pintle.

I'm scared to remove the gudgeons that are in place for fear that I can't bolt new ones back on without destroying the boat transom and seems like screws won't stand up to the abuse. Are spacers necessary? Is it worth trying to replace what's there or just make it work?

I'm not afraid of it not looking pretty but I don't want to have to fix it in a month either.
Every word of help I get from ya'll will put me on the water one day faster!
Thanks in advance,
Clinton
Inverness, FL

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it looks as if the lower pintle is broken, is this correct?...... can it be drilled and a pin fitted to replace the broken pintle?...

every thing can be replaced with new if you want, although maybe not with the exact same brand of hardware..... and if the bolts wont come loose, you can always grind the heads off and remove them that way. as for the spacers, I have not a clue as to what you are referring to .... if they are there now, then put them back in, and if there are none, they are probably not needed...

if you work with what you have, you can probably make it work fine for a long time, or you can replace everything with new and know it should work for a long time...

Apr 25, 2016
Oday Mariner Inverness
First of all thanks for the fast response!

The lower pintle is broken, there's no pin at all. I considered Having it refitted, replace with new, even just putting a bolt in it. Both seem to need new gudgeon bushings at least to prevent play in the rudder. Spacers are offered from stuartmarine- see pic below but I'm with ya on the original design.

Are screws used enough beef for gudgeon mounting? Of course it depends on what it's screwed into.. But there's no way for me to tell as I can't access the backside mount without more cutting fiberglass and such.

So as I type I'm kind of answering my own questions. Guess I'm just looking to see if anyone has An easy answer before I cut into the hull anymore than I have to and maybe a little positive reinforcement.. Lol.

Thanks again,
Clinton

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
dont stress too much about cutting into the fiberglass for access, but just do it from the cockpit side, and then install a deckplate to cover the hole....

and no, screws wont hold the rudder, it NEEDS to be bolted....

but I would attempt to repair the broken pintle, and leave the gudgeons be, UNLESS the bushings really are that bad..... and keep in mind when both pintles are in the gudgeons, it will have to have a lot of wear to allow it to be sloppy, and mostly in the top one.

Apr 25, 2016
Oday Mariner Inverness
Stress? What part of owning a boat is stressful? Lol The deck plate is a great idea. That would give me good access to both Gundgeons and save me from cutting, glassing, fairing and painting. The mariner looks like parts were mounted before joining the hull and topside.

New pintle and gundgeons are on order. I'll figure a way to use the old pintle for mast support during transport. I'll also be sure to steer clear of just screwing anything into place as well.

Thanks for the help centerline.