Need Help Finding the Right Cruising Boat

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
I need some help finding my next boat. My wife and I are seriously considering cruising the Caribbean for a year or three and we need to find the right boat for that mission. I had originally thought I would wait until we can afford a new Catamaran but my new thinking is why wait since everything else in our lives will allow us to take the adventure now. Also, we are likely to have just as much fun regardless what boat we are on (within reason of course).

I have owned a Hunter before and I really like them. We like the Hunter 450/456 because of the comfort, headroom and seaworthiness. Short of a cat, it would be my next best choice. Our budget is 100k-150k plus 50k to outfit the boat with safety, navigation and convenience items.

I would really like some advice from those who have experienced extending cruising as to what to look for and what to avoid. At 6'3" and 250lbs, I don't comfortably fit in lot of smaller boats and my wife is totally onboard but that could change if I ask her to sleep inside a small cubbyhole.

Is 45' to large of a boat for most marinas in the Caribbean?
Is 5.5' draft to deep in practice?
Is it better to buy cheep and invest more in upgrade and repairs or better to find what I need and pay more?
Does anyone have a good recommendation on a boat for sale? No brokers or brokered boats please.
Other boats being considered Beneteau / Jeanneau 38'-41'

Thanks in advance

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Draft is fine. You won't likely be staying in marinas. At 45 feet, you might find you are the smallest boat there so no problem with length.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Thanks Don. I was hoping to anchor often and the larger boat would be appreciated while living on the hook. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of marinas and or moorings. I had heard that was a downside to larger boats.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
The general consensus is that you are better off (financially and temporally) finding a boat in good shape with most of what you want on it, rather buying cheap and retrofitting/upgrading. Most folks would rather be sailing than working on the boat to get it ready. YMMV.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Thanks SFS. I had always thought that too but my recent searches have me questioning that. I suppose a better way to ask that question would be, how much value to place on the boat being in cruising condition? All boats need repairs and upgrades but I still dont know if it would be better to save 50k-100k on the purchase price and use that money to fix and outfit a boat with new, modern equipment that I prefer rather then what the previous owner. I suppose that is a rhetorical question. Each is a case by case assessment.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Not rhetorical at all, and it's good that you are asking. Remember though, it's not always about dollars, it's about time, which is why I said financially and temporally before. Life is short. Some people put two or three years into a rehab. "How soon do you want to be in the Caribbean?" is one way to frame the question that gets you closer to YOUR best answer. Everyone is different.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Thanks, that is good advice. Time is a motivating factor for sure, hence why my wife and I are taking time away from our careers to enjoy some of our life before we give it all away in pursuit of more money.

We would like to start cruising maybe Dec of 2018. I still need to plan out our route but likely start in FL then Bahamas then US/BVI then consider our options.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Blackacre,

Good afternoon! I've been in Sea Scouts for almost six years now, and I've sailed a variety of different boats, each one with it's own pros and cons. One of the boats I sailed (also the one I sailed most often) is an Allmand 31 Tri-Cabin. She's a very spacious boat for her size, and only has a four foot draft, due to her shoal keel. Don't let this fool you, however, since her sheer weight as a cruiser makes her a solid vessel both at anchor and underway, which is an important attribute for a cruiser. Also, her Yanmar is the original motor that came with the boat when our Skipper bought her in 1987; she runs nicely, and will reach about 7 knots when under full throttle. The fastest we've ever had her under sail was about 8.6 on a beam reach during a thunder storm under full sail.
The preferred draft for most cruisers is about 5 feet or so; this gives the boat plenty of negative lift while under sail and keeps the boat stable, while also allowing for some leeway when navigating between reefs and shallow harbors, etc. Hunter makes a lot of descent sized 5-foot draft cruisers, but I would personally go for an older boat, as the newer ones have a reputation for being a bit tippy. You might also want to look into a couple other manufacturers, like Catalina, Beneteau, Pearson, Dufour, Alerion, Mason, Jeanneau, Freedom, C&C, Gulfstar, Islander, Bristol, Tartan, Morgan, Whitby, Allberg, Island Packet, Pacific Seacraft, and Hallberg-Rassy.

Here are just a few popular boats that I've seen used for bluewater cruising out of Texas:

Gulfstar 50 Sloop:
upload_2018-3-21_12-55-18.png

C&C Landfall 38

upload_2018-3-21_12-59-24.png

Beneteau Sense 50
upload_2018-3-21_13-1-2.png

Island Packet 35
upload_2018-3-21_13-4-13.png

Hunter Legend 40
upload_2018-3-21_13-6-24.png

Catalina 445
upload_2018-3-21_13-8-12.png

Hope this helps!

God Bless,
S.S.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Thanks Simon. These are some great boats. I am familiar with most of them. The Sense models are my favorite from your list. I think it’s a little above my budget though.

When you say newer Hunters are “Tippys” are you referring to the free board or center of gravity or something else? Unfortunately, the tall interior is what I like.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
That picture shown as the Hunter Legend 40 is actually a Hunter Legend 40.5. Not the size issue, just wanted the info to be accurate. The Hunter 40.5s were made in the mid to late 90's and most owners, including myself, are pleased with them. They can be had nicely equipped from the low $70s to mid $80s. My wife has always been partial though, to the Hunter Passage 42 and Passage 45. Not sure what is meant by Tippy but you should look at the stability info and the capsize ratio for the boats you are considering.

You've got a pretty decent budget so look around and get what you want (as long as the Admiral agrees of course). Then outfit it the way you want. You'll probably find you will need to do something to almost any boat you own. With an all in budget of $200,000 you should have a lot to choose from.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
It may be helpful to decide on a few features that are important to your partner and you to limit the search. For example, I like the Hunter 50 a lot and it can be had for around $200K in nearly pristine condition. The bathtub would clinch it for me. Three years later you could probably sell it for $50K less. Cruisers who buy boats in this class often go for Hylas, HR or a smallish cat, so you may negotiate a deal. Any large Hunter will be suitable for the Caribbean.

As others have said, any boat would require additional investment. Items that are expensive include rigging, cushions, deck painting/work, engine replacement, sails, etc. Items that are inexpensive include electronics, plumbing (water makers, heating, etc.)

Good luck.

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
We have been cruising the Caribbean for over 10 years on our 45cc. Would not trade for any other monohull. Lots of headroom and the aft cabin is like being at home. No climbing over one another to get in and out of bed. Make sure whatever you decide you get a large bimini and dodger. Lots of sun and rain here

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Blackacre,
Is that the Sunhine Skyway in the background of your avitar?

What you really need, at this point, is a comprehensive list of the features you want. Headroom and large bunk, obviously. A good serviceable head and galley. Is a large cockpit important? Singlehand ability or is the crew fully capable? You don't need high capacity food and water storage in the Caribbean, but some. Power generation? Dinghy davits are easier than upside down in the foredeck. Accommodation for overnight guests?

You will find what you're looking for when you know what you're looking for.

Good luck

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Thanks everyone. These are some great comments. I suppose I been looking for this boat for the last five years even during times when I’ve owned other boats, I have always admired the hunter 450. It is definitely an unusual layout and no doubt has some performance drawbacks due to its size and design focused on comfort. I am willing to make that compromise.

I will keep looking but is anybody here knows of somebody interested in selling please connect us. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My "long-term cruising" is basically a couple of weeks at a time, maybe slightly longer, in remote spots (northern California Channel Islands) w/o services, sometimes with another couple aboard totaling four souls. I cannot comment too much on the boat you wish except to note that it has a lot of windage, especially if the cockpit is enclosed, as they sometimes are. But as to equipment for "living" on the hook for extended periods or otherwise in places where services are limited, I'd consider the following as high priority upgrades for your boat if it does not already possess them. The correct ground tackle and windlass, a water maker, an ability to generate power in combination of a high-output alternator on the diesel plus solar panels, TRUE deep-cycle house batteries forming two fairly large (amp-hr) banks, a dinghy that can be stowed aboard (i.e., not just hanging from stern davits), and certain critical engine spare parts, in particular--a spare starter and mixing elbow. Already mentioned is the need for shade (Bimini cover) and a spray dodger.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Is that the Sunhine Skyway in the background of your avitar?
I wish there was a cool story to go along with this avatar but it's a stock photo. I have flown a Cirrus SR22T but I was too busy to take a photo so this was the next best thing. Location is somewhere in Alaska.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
We have been cruising the Caribbean for over 10 years on our 45cc. Would not trade for any other monohull.
Thanks Slipin. Is your boat the predecessor to the Hunter 450/456 Passage and if so do you like it better? The newer model look very modern but also much more similar to traditional designs. Less headroom, more compact, better performance. What are your thoughts

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I need some help finding my next boat.
Purchased Belle-vie in 2002 (admiral's choice), cruised her several thousand miles all over PNW waters, with many extended (two month plus) cruises under our belts. Would do it again, period.

P42s came with a variety of options with ours fully equipped with all glove leather upholstery and all teak cabinetry. She is fast, stiff and easy to solo, which I do most of the time. Wonderful and comfortable cruising boat, well built and strong. More here. https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6004&mn=42

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
I have not been on the 450 or the 456. I have been on the Hunter 50 and still would not trade for mine. 5% of the time is spent sailing during which I can choose my weather window. 95% of the time is at anchor thats what I enjoy most about our boat it is the most comfortable liveaboard we have been on. I have done a lot of mods which are posted