Navigation using a Laptop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I am getting a new laptop for Christmas (I'm friends with Santa). Over 35 years of buying and using paper charts, chartbooks and cruising guides is getting expensive, so I thought that having access to the new NOAA chart books would let me get the latest updates to use with my old charts. I have read that many of you are linking the charts on a PC with a GPS unit of some kind and end up with a "Chart plotter". What I need is a kind soul to talk a luddite through the acquisition of the hardware and software involved and the process of making it all work. Anyone out there with the spirit of giving care to help?
Thanks,
G.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
As far as software goes, I use Rose Point for trip planning. I don't have it linked to my GPS and I print what I need beforehand. Rose Point has a trial available for you to mess with. http://rosepointnav.com/default.htm

For my GPS, I just use the Garmin charts. For both of these, I did not need any additional hardware and it seems to work fine for the trips I've taken. I'm sure someone who does more long-term cruises can help you out further. You don't say it here but I assume you don't plan on not using and updating your paper charts.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
Several years ago I used a laptop with "The Cap'n" software. Once I got it working it worked like a charm. The tricky part, for me anyway, is that I use Raymarine instruments and in order to communicate with the computer all information has to be in NMEA. Well, after messing around with a couple of differant adapters, I finally got what i was looking for. It was kind of nice to be able to see not only where you are, where you've been, and where you're going, but I was also able to monitor wind directions and velocity, VMG, work with the autopilot, even water temperature from the laptop. The cap'n uses maptech charts which are just like paper charts, and I never had any problems.
So then, why am I NOT using it now? The laptop "blew-up" and I just haven't been able to afford a new one. Plus I find I can navigate just as easily using my handheld GPS connected to my autopilot. I do hope to afford a new computer soon and will go back to the old method (or maybe one of those fancy chartplotters instead?).

Jul 25, 2009
Catalina 1989 C30 Mk II Herrington Harbour South, MD
OpenCPN is pretty good, and Open Source, so it's free.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
capejt, I am intrigued by your having a handheld GPS connected to your autopilot. Would be very interested in learning : How and where you have connected it?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
SeaClear http://www.sping.com/seaclear/ from SPING.com is free. it uses the free raster charts from NOAA which are always the latest editions.. The GPS hook up is a little waterproof "hocky puck" that plugs into the USB port and tells SeaClear where you are.. http://www.amazon.com/USGlobalSat-B...TV22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291729599&sr=8-3
The only part that is not intuitive is loading and "registering" the charts . That is clearly explained in the SeaClear manual.. Works very well for minimal cost..

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Garmin Bundle

I use the Garmin bundle from 3 years ago:
- a 76Cx handheld GPS
- Garmin Mapsource software on our PC
- Bluechart charts for the Great Lakes and New England

The maps cost me too much (prices are down now, and NOAA is free), but integration is good. I can lay out waypoints and routes in the cabin while cruising or at anchor/at the dock using the mouse, and keyboard. Then it all loads into the handheld to support navigation under way in the cockpit. Since our tillerpilot does not support NMEA, the GPS does not drive it directly, but its not a big deal to get the tillerpilot onto a new course to the next waypoint.

Garmin offers similar bundles today, and they have the advantage of supporting their own integration and upgrades. You do have to pay for your chart packages, though.

My next step will probably be Navionics on a GPS capable iPad. But I am waiting for a clean solution for antiglare, and mounting and protection of the iPad in the cockpit. I'm OK using what I've got for a few years until the right bundle comes out.

That does not cover planned charters in New Zealand and French Polynesia in 2012, but charter boats often have good equipment, and we can use our GPS without charts, and paper charts as we have done in the past. Navionics on our iPhone was a good backup this summer on Lake Huron, and will also work on that trip.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I use the Garmin bundle from 3 years ago:
- a 76Cx handheld GPS
- Garmin Mapsource software on our PC
- Bluechart charts for the Great Lakes and New England
David, I am using a similar setup(for about 6 years now). The problem being that you cannot connect a gps receiver to the laptop and have Mapsource chart your position. It used to but Garmin disabled that ability many versions ago.

I have navionics on my HTC Incredible and it is functional but deffinitely not a primary chartplotter. I have looked at Navionics for my iPad but again, not very functional and no way to connect other device like an AP or radar. Until the marine instrument industry adopts Bluetooth, these portable tablets and smartphones will be fairly limited.

I think an Android based tablet will be the next best option as soon as a decent one comes out.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Need your equipment so we can advise

ggirzzrd, as you can see there are a number of options, some expensive to maintain and some free. to walk you through the setup we would need to know what equipment you have and then we can ID what you need.

What brand of computer do you have and does it have a serial port?
Which plotting software do you want to use?
What type of GPS will you be using?

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I use Sea Clear. I have no plans to change, but there are some short comings to the program. Being it is free - and any US charts to use with it are free - I find it well worth its short comings.

It does not count off the miles. One has to re position the cursor to get a miles to go reading - not a big deal.

Getting charts to instantly be available , as mentioned before , is not at all intuitive, but working around that is not that tough.

A USB hockey puck is under $100. I got mine from Tiger Express for $75. It was a little tough figuring out which of my USB ports was my communication port, but a move computer savvy friend of mine figured out in short order.

Using a laptop means you have to have the battery power to keep it running. I use an inverter, but I suspect a 12 volt adapter would be much more efficient. I also put the computer to sleep when in open water.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Keeping the costs down

GGirzzard, first off I'd not recommend using a brand new computer for boat nav. The sea gods just don't like the things. Between salt water and tipping nav stations you are bound to have a premature failure. There are cheap laptops $300 that you can install open source software on that seem to stay under the radar of the sea gods.
I use NOAA maps, Linux OS, OpenCPN nav software and the boats RayMarine 300 GPS on my recycled Dell Latitude 600 laptop.

Key thing to look for are the ability to run the laptop off 12 volts. The AC-DC adapter will say various things like "output 19 volts DC." You want to check the battery itself as that is the real story. If should say 12 volts. Otherwise you will be required to turn your 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC with an inverter then turn it back to some voltage other than 12 volt DC with a wall wart. Pretty inefficient and all that stuff has to have a home. Powering with ships mains just takes a wire from the electrical panel with a plug that fits your computer.

You also want to consider where you will be putting all the gear for this. A real slick setup is to mount your laptop to a docking station then port the mouse/keyboard/video to the DVD player mounted on a swivel at the nav station. That way the DVD acts as your monitor and can entertain the guests with movies (why this is important is beyond me but they do seem to like it. I'd rather drink and play cards personally, to each his own). I put the docking station under the nav station mounted vertically so it does not get stepped on, splashed (as much), or slide off the nav station. I can see it from the cockpit if I step away from the helm. Since the paper charts and NOAA computer charts are very similar I can reference the boats position on the monitor and then get the pinpoint data from the paper chart we use in the cockpit.

With all that said there are a couple of things that we cannot escape;
We still need to maintain a set of paper maps,
You will probably have a GPS in either case,
Space and power will be at a premium
You would never go to sea with just a GPS for location information so whatever you take in addition is a wash WRT a chart plotter,

Better, IMHO, is a dedicated marine nav station mounted GPS, a good set of paper charts, knot, depth, and wind instruments and a good set of binos is a much more rugged and relaxed way of sailing in protected waters. Once you get out of sight of land the chart plotter can show you nothing but blue water so what is the point? I find that it is actually faster to look at the autopilot readout of lat/long and find it on the paper map. If you need a block of instruction on reading lat/long on paper charts let me know, it only takes about 2 minutes to master.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Here's a link to my experience, so far, with a link in the first post that comes back to one previously discussed right here:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5747.0.html

Also do a search on "laptops" and there's lots to learn.

What you'll find out is that there is, first, a great deal of knowledge from the skippers on this forum, and second, there's a TON of "stuff" out there to use. Take your time, learn what works for you, don't get ahead of yourself, and enjoy the experience. It is really a lot of fun.

galynd

Nov 1, 2009
Beneteau 36cc port arthur, tx
openCBN works really well. You download the program, then the charts then connect your gps. It's all free except the gps which I purchased on amazon for $36. and the gps works better than my other gps'.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
My long term experience with a Macintosh coupled to a GPS for Navigation:
MacENC - raster & vector charts,
Milltech AIS - automatic identification of ships - via VHF 'splitter',
MultiMode - WeFAX/Navtex(SitorB) - download from SSM/Ham radio,
NEMA to PC module (Raymarine) - to integrate depth, speed, windspeed etc. onto MacENC.

The downside to all this is that the computer must be kept inside/below to avoid weather, etc. and in 'difficult navigation situations' requires constant trips back and forth to the Nav. Table, etc. Also, you cant adequately see a PC screen display in bright sunlight. The computer MUST be protected when off from large swings in ambient dewpoint (condensation) and 'lightning'.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have seaclear on my laptop and I have downloaded the Chesapeake Bay Charts....but I can't seem to get them to come up. I have the Raster Charts and I don't have a GPS receiver yet...is that the problem?

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
I dont work 'seaclear', but most PC nav programs work this way or in a similar mode:

Most PC nav programs need to be connected to a GPS to establish/locate LAT/LON position ON THE CHART ... usually also simultaneously selects the correct/appliicable chart for the GPS position and then changes to the next appropriate chart when the GPS physically moves its fix 'from one chart to another'.

Most such programs have a 'simulation mode' which bypasses the GPS input so you can check to see if the charting display, etc. is 'working' but you have to then manually select the chosen chart (usually through a 'chart manager' function).

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
To: Albanch

I use a rail mount from Garmin on the top of the pedestal guard. The wires are led to the autopilot control head which is also mounted on the pedestal guard in a cluster with wind and depth/speed.
FYI I'm using the Garmin 76C handheld with autopilot (S1) and instruments by Raymarine.

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
Bad Obsessioni

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?[/quote]

You need to "register" each chart using s/w provided in the SeaClear package. Straightforward.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.