AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
You will kill your batteries if you store them on concrete

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
When splashing a wood boat

"don't worry about leaks, she'll take up and be dry as a bone..."

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Hate to tell you this but number 5 isn't a myth! its an actual formula that applies to displacement boats! and is the best close predictor for the the maximum speed of a displacment boat. This formula does not apply to boats ( including sailboats) that are capable of planing.
Hate to tell you this but Number 5 is an absolute myth, true only in theory. I've spent the better part of 45 years working on boats that routinely surpass 'hull speed' with very little fuss at all. A Cherubini 44's *theoretical* hull speed is about 8-1/2 knots. Tell this to any C44 sailor and he'll laugh at you-- or offer you a bet. These boats typically sail at 11-14 in wind scarcely enough to consider reefing. That's speed over the earth, verifiable by measuring on maps or by GPS. Maximum boat speed of 8-9 knots is sort of a bad day in a C44.

Bear in mind I have a yacht-design background. I knew this stuff before I knew how to tie shoes (literally).

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
was98strat you need to surf once or twice... a non-planing boat will surf past it's "theoretical hull speed" which is all that formula is good for.

"Hull speed" of my Capri 25 was 5.9 knots... HOW did I do this... and before you say my knotmeter was off, I confirmed these numbers with GPS... no current, flat lake.
Whoooooooo! And I thought ten knots in a C&C 35, in 25 knots on the quarter, was wailing fast. You go! :dance:

Mind that a Capri 25 is a pretty good little surfer... wish my H25 had a hull like that (sometimes. Other times, no; I don't ;)).

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
You will kill your batteries if you store them on concrete
This is one of my favorites and I actually believed it, due to how credibly it was taught me, till my cousin Rick, who is ABYC in yacht electrical systems, asked me why on earth that should make any difference; and I had to think about it.

Still don't know why it's so important to take the negative lead off before the positive one, though. As long as you don't bump something against the wrong other something, you should be okay... right? (I acknowledge that's a big 'if'.)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

Hate to tell you this but Number 5 is an absolute myth, true only in theory. I've spent the better part of 45 years working on boats that routinely surpass 'hull speed' with very little fuss at all. A Cherubini 44's *theoretical* hull speed is about 8-1/2 knots. Tell this to any C44 sailor and he'll laugh at you-- or offer you a bet. These boats typically sail at 11-14 in wind scarcely enough to consider reefing. That's speed over the earth, verifiable by measuring on maps or by GPS. Maximum boat speed of 8-9 knots is sort of a bad day in a C44.

Bear in mind I have a yacht-design background. I knew this stuff before I knew how to tie shoes (literally).
A little bit of research will reveal that the "theoretical hull speed" formula was used to determine the most efficient STEAM engine size when placed in a full displacement hull vessel.

Back in the day, the relationship between horsepower - engine weight - and fuel consumption was very critical in steam powered vessels.

Pushing a vessel beyond this theoretical speed limit required an almost exponential increase in power... which translated into huge weight and fuel increases...leaving little cargo capacity... thus a commercially unacceptable result.

Oct 23, 2013
Catalina 380 ABYC
Totally agree Joe. I had our Nash26 sailboat up to 10 knots during a line squall that hit us by surprise while wing-on-wing. Hull speed on the boat was 6 knots.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
A Cherubini 44's *theoretical* hull speed is about 8-1/2 knots. Tell this to any C44 sailor and he'll laugh at you-- or offer you a bet. These boats typically sail at 11-14 in wind scarcely enough to consider reefing.
Hmm... A Cherubini 44's PHRF is 126 in New England - about the same as my First 375. The First 40.7 I occasionally race on, at 54, is doing pretty good to get to 10 - 11 knots. A J/44 rates 27, and that's more the kind of boat I'd expect to do 11-14 knots in, say, a 15 knot breeze. Or maybe you reef the Cherubinis at 20 knots? I don't know.
I'm not saying the Cherubini has never gone over 10 knots, but on a regular basis?
Obviously there are a lot of caveats to the application of theoretical hull speeds, but "in general" a bigger boat is going to sail faster.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
These boats typically sail at 11-14 in wind scarcely enough to consider reefing. That's speed over the earth, verifiable by measuring on maps or by GPS.
Sustained speed in flat water???

This pegs my BS meter.

Pictures or it isn't true.