Myth busters

Jan 27, 2014
none none na
Hate to tell you this but number 5 isn't a myth! its an actual formula that applies to displacement boats! and is the best close predictor for the the maximum speed of a displacment boat. This formula does not apply to boats ( including sailboats) that are capable of planing.

Feb 3, 2014
Hunter 44 aft cockpit Miami, FL
"I know what the chart says. But there's plenty of water for you to get in there!"

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
"I know what the chart says. But there's plenty of water for you to get in there!"
Better ... the chart (plotters) says that there's a couple of feet of water under our keel, so how did we touch that rock?

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Hate to tell you this but number 5 isn't a myth! its an actual formula that applies to displacement boats! and is the best close predictor for the the maximum speed of a displacment boat. This formula does not apply to boats ( including sailboats) that are capable of planing.
I was surprised to see people disputing the notion of "hull speed." Unless they are referring to situations where the hull comes out of the water such as surfing waves downwind. Would love to hear more on this.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
And it's based on the wave length generated by a certain length hull.. Longer waves travel faster. That's the reason the old CCA boats had the long over hangs. that rule measured waterline, so when the boat heeled, the water line increased, thus higher theoretical hull speed. I said theoretical be cause it still is not absolute. Long skinny hulls CAN move faster than short tubby hulls with the same waterline

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
was98strat you need to surf once or twice... a non-planing boat will surf past it's "theoretical hull speed" which is all that formula is good for.

Also the waterline of a boat "usually" increases with heel. Nullifying that theoretical number. "Hull speed" of my Capri 25 was 5.9 knots... HOW did I do this... and before you say my knotmeter was off, I confirmed these numbers with GPS... no current, flat lake.

But I have some other myths...
"Reef before you think you need it."
"When winds are up a reef and a smaller headsail are faster"
"Red sky in morning sailors take warning"
"Red Right Returning."
"Sailing flatter is faster" - reference to keeping a boat with little heel to get best VMG... I'd argue sometimes 25-30 degree of heel is faster, depending on the boat.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
A locked fixed blade sailboat prop is faster than freewheeling..

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
we'll be there soon,its only a 3 hr cruise, theres no way its gonna rain,don't worry its calm out there.tee-hee, used em all ..Red

Aug 21, 2009
2 23.5 Chula Vista
These are brilliant... and every one true.
I would add, "We should be there in 45 minutes"

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
I could swim to shore from here....