My New Boat - A Tartan 3800

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hey @Sean K are you on your boat during the week? Mine won't launch 'til Friday, and I wish I had measured and recorded the measurements of that feature that's molded into the sea hood, that looks like the place you'd put a life raft capsule. I'd like to put a small solar panel there, just to keep my batts topped up during the week. If you're there during the week could you please measure it for me?

Thanks,

jv

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Tartan T3800 Waukegan, IL
I’d be glad to do so as I hope to sail tomorrow, Wednesday. Please be more specific on which measurement you’d like. I assume it’s the top of the deck. Is it forward of the mast or behind and what type of boom vang do you have - will there be clearance? Maybe approximate the canister size so I can see where it may fit best. Just let me know, and I can figure out how to add a picture to this I’ll do that too.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Or, are you talking about the hard fixed area above the sliding top down to the cabin, on a second read of your post I’m thinking that’s it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Or, are you talking about the hard fixed area above the sliding top down to the cabin, on a second read of your post I’m thinking that’s it.
Thanks Sean!

Yes, that's it, the fiberglass cover for the sliding hatch. There's a recess with a rounded portion forward, and rectangular area, and I thought I'd drop a small solar panel in there and even screw it down.

Here's the best pic I have of it. I circled the area in red.

deck annotated.jpeg

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Why two winches on the port side of the hatchway, in line with each other. I assume you also have one on the starboard side, or are there two there also? Do you use them ILO clutches?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I did have one very odd event last year.... The best I can figure out was I left both the head Mascerator thru-hull and direct discharge hose thru-hull open (Y valve to holding tank) and surmised that the anti-siphon loops may have been below the water level and water came in that way. After contacting
Just so you know: If you are in a no-discharge zone (which is just about everywhere I sail and probably most bays, sounds and rivers on the East Coast, you are required by regulation to have the discharge valve from any overboard waste tank (except "treated discharges") closed and locked. I am told that they will accept a "zip tie" that has to be cut to open the valve as "locked." If you are boarded by the Coast Guard and probably any other legal authority for where you sail they can fine you for failure to have it closed unless they give you some slack and just cite you.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Hi Sean,

Thank you for the measurements!

There are two winches to port and one to starboard on the coachroof. The one to starboard is for the main halyard, primarily, and for the reefing line and other lines that are in starboard stoppers. The aftermost one to port is for the mainsheet. The forward one is for the other lines, reefing and jib halyard.

jv

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Just so you know: If you are in a no-discharge zone (which is just about everywhere I sail and probably most bays, sounds and rivers on the East Coast, you are required by regulation to have the discharge valve from any overboard waste tank (except "treated discharges") closed and locked. I am told that they will accept a "zip tie" that has to be cut to open the valve as "locked." If you are boarded by the Coast Guard and probably any other legal authority for where you sail they can fine you for failure to have it closed unless they give you some slack and just cite you.
Yes, thanks, I know that. Mine has a macerator through-hull and a direct discharge though-hull. For the latter I just remove the handle from the Y valve. The former is closed always, and zip-tied.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@jviss Sorry, I was speaking to @Sean K who had the "odd problem" and attributed it to having one or more "waste overboard discharge" valves open when sailing, presumably in a no-dischrge zone since he was racing and probably not far offshore. I assumed that he was not aware that they were required by regulation to be secured closed let alone to make sure they were not open when inside a no-discharge zone.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
@jviss Sorry, I was speaking to @Sean K who had the "odd problem" and attributed it to having one or more "waste overboard discharge" valves open when sailing, presumably in a no-dischrge zone since he was racing and probably not far offshore. I assumed that he was not aware that they were required by regulation to be secured closed let alone to make sure they were not open when inside a no-discharge zone.
Whoops, no, I'm sorry, I thought it was Sean who wrote that reply! Ha, ha. Well, good advice, regardless.

Thanks,

jv

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I'm also surprised there is no high-water alarm (to be added).
Did you ever do this?

I have a "new" bilge pump switch that I bought several years ago and haven't installed yet. It's a Groco AS-100, here:
bilge-pump-control-kit-as-100.jpeg

I got it to get as much wire out of the bilge as possible, as I have an electrolysis problem that eats my zincs in less than a year. It works on pressure of the rising water.

I also plan on installing one of those dry bilge pump systems that keep the bilge dry as a bone. Have you seen them? Here's a DIY article on them:
Build Your Own DIY Arid Bilge or Dry Bilge System

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Yes, thanks guys, I’m aware of the requirements, I do have my “Y” valve locked in the position to send all waste to the holding tank. The odd problem I was talking about was the posibility of water entering the boat on a hard tack in rough water, port rail in the water and both thru-hulls open (Mascerator and direct overboard). I thought the vented loops on those two hoses may have been under the waterline and that’s how I was taking on water. Those two thru-hulls are now closed and will remain so.
Alway appreciate advise and comments, thanks.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Jviss
I’ve taken the measurements of the hard sliding companionway cover you have circled in red. Mine looks identical to yours. The cover is not symetrical and as you know has a rising curved front edge. The Traveller is attached to the rearmost edge.
The outside to outside rear width at the rear (in front of the Traveller) is 27.5”. The total length is 37.5” including the front curved part. From the rear edge to the beginning of the curved part in front is 30” (back to beginning of front curve). As you can see from the pictures there is a raised edge around the entire platform, but it is not symmetrical either. At the rear most edge the raised edge is 2.25” wide and it tapers down to 1.5” wide where the front curve begins. As you also know there are two raised bars within the platform, the rear one is 18” X 3.25” and the forward one is 17 X 3.25”.

So if it was square it would round up to be 27.5 X 37.5 inches total; and the part that excludes the curved front is 27.5 X 30 inches. The raised border is less than 1/2 inch high from the back to the beginning of the front curve. The front curve raises to about 4 inches.
Let me know if you understand all this. Feel free to call 312 304-1166
Sean

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Hi @Sean K , thanks very much for the thorough measuring job. I'm having a little trouble parsing it all. For example, what would be the maximum dimensions of a rectangle that would drop into the recessed part?

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
OK, For the width Subtract 2.25 from 27.5, for 25.25 inches inside the raised edge and 30 minus 2.25 for the length or 27.75 inches, So 27.75 long and 25.25 wide. This is the inside dimension where I subtract the width of the raised edge from the total width. The length is limited by the front curve which begins 30” from the rear edge (traveler) And has a 7” radius at it’s peak.
Glad to help, let me know if you need more.

This solar panel would be partially covered by the boom and sail bag. If you have A Bimini top you should consider putting a soft solar panel on top of it. Larger panel and less obstruction of the sun. No?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
This is the inside dimension where I subtract the width of the raised edge from the total width.
Thanks Sean. Does that inside dimension, 27.75x25.25" exclude the curved portion? (That's what I'm looking for.)

Yes, I know it's sub-optimal as a place for a solar panel, and I have bimini-top panels in mind for the future. But I just want something quick and dirty and inexpensive for this year, and not to live off of, but just keep them topped up during the week.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Yes, the inside dimension without going into the curved front section is 27.25 long and 25.25 wide. Please note that the raised edge is only about 1/2 inch high above the inside and the inside does have two raised bars of the same height, so mounting inside the raised edge would be almost level with the raised perimeter edge, not below it (approximately). I’m not familiar with the dimensions of solar panels so it’s impossible for me to recommend anything.
I understand the benefit of adding a solar panel even if just to prolong the depletoon of the batteries while underway or on the “hook”. It’s one solution, for me I just added increased battery capacity, but I mostly hook up to electricity at night and run the charger. One problem with the southern part of Lake Michigan is that there are few good anchorage bays to stay the night.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I mostly hook up to electricity at night and run the charger
Yes, I'm on a mooring, and storing FLA batteries that are not fully charged dramatically reduces their capacity and life. And, bringing them to full charge with the engine takes hours and hours.