My c30 refit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I see your putting a lot of work in your refit. Looks good. I'm assuming sine U have a 70's model - U probably have A cat. 30 smile like most of the rest of us. Since it looks like U have the mast out, I'd go ahead & remove that plywood from the keel sump & check your compression post for rot. Did U get a lot of flexing or cracking on deck when U took out all the bulkheads? I would be afraid of hull or deck deformity, but if they were rotted then I guess they had to go. I'm working on my refit too of a 1980 -C30 but mostly cosmetic repairs. Cheers,

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
How's the Refit going? its been awhile since we've seen an update.

Aug 25, 2011
Catalina 30 Marinette
I have a 1977 Catalina 30 Hull 662. I've done almost everything there is to do on it. The only remaining 1977 parts are the mast, boom, hull and engine.

This winter I'm doing the keel stub (wood under the glass matt in the bilge) I'm sure yours is built like mine with almost 2 inches of plywood under the glass mat in the bilge). If I were you I would inspect it / replace it while the boat is on the hard. I've already replace the wood under the compression post - while it wasn't rotten it was wet. I'm also re-doing the rudder this winter (dried it out 10 years ago and it's time to do it again).

I see you've done the Window upgrade - I love Cruising Concepts windows vs the old aluminum ones. I've also replaced my V-Birth hatch with an acrylic one from Cruising Concepts.

Regards,

Joe

Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
Hey BillyK! Refit is going well. I got the boat in the water finally. She sails great!

Jodtekno - I just did the keel stud as well as new lag bolts. It was a huge pain in the a$$!! Underneath the first layer of glass and wood was a really hard layer of a gray material. It was harder than concrete! I tried just about every tool I had in my arsenal to remove it easily. A hammer and wood chisel was the most effective...but took forever.

To make matters worse, the layers in the keel stud went as follows - glass, wood, gray stuff, wood, gray stuff, glass, lead. I ended up digging down about 4 inches. Not fun!!

Attachments

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
interesting setup on the traveler.. where in the world is that anchored? the transom?

Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
That's the original system. It's anchored right in front of the lazarette. I'll try to snap a pic. I'd like to move it forward and above the companionway before next season.

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
SWG, I am very impressed with your refit, should be an inspiration for all of us to do more on our boats.

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Been watching your refit. Nice work. I have a '76 hull #360. I have a few more ideas that I have used on mine. if you are interested, PM me. Nothing outrageous or expensive. Just simple ideas. Sean

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Okay, I will. I have some more , but I ran out of space. The last photo is my riding sail used at anchor. It is hoisted with the main halyard, attached just above the split in the backstay and to a cleat at the base of the mast. Works perfectly. totally eliminated the sailing at anchor.

Attachments

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
if you're working on the compression post, sometime just before my boat - 5961 - was made catalna changed to a non-wood comression post. since this was a really worthwhile improvement i suggest you ask catalina if they have the part used is stock or if they can tell you what material they did use. even better, on the catalina 30 assoication web site is a list of all the uprgrades done as they were done.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
mortyd said:
if you're working on the compression post, sometime just before my boat - 5961 - was made catalna changed to a non-wood comression post. since this was a really worthwhile improvement i suggest you ask catalina if they have the part used is stock or if they can tell you what material they did use. even better, on the catalina 30 assoication web site is a list of all the uprgrades done as they were done.
Are you talking about the compression block in the bilge or the post between the sole and the ceiling?

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Here's are closer pics of the hanging locker and the nav station. I used a granite looking laminate for the top of the nav station that I'll use through out the rest of the boat. The two bulkheads to the left and right of the hanging locker are brand new. I made them out of 1/2" birch ply and stained them with a natural teak color. The old ones where rotted and discolored.
Where did you get your teak stain? I'm trying to do the same with my bulkheads.. also, i notice the lack of the standing rigging anchor bolts on the hanging locker bulkhead.. did they not anchor into the bulkhead on your year catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.